Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 GT3 Oil Change

Wayne K

Just bought this car a couple months ago so haven't changed the oil yet. Car is in winter storeage/enclosed building. Wanted to change oil/filter. I had checked the oil level several times before storeage and on the computer and the dipstip it showed to be at the correct level. I didn't want to run the car in the enclosed building so I started by removing the drain plug on the oil tank. To my surprise only about 1 to 2 quarts of oil came out. The manual says to bring oil up to operating temperature before draining. My questions are:

1) Is there a thermostat system that doesn't allow the oil to drain from the tank unless the oil is at operating temp?

2) If the answer to #1 above is yes am I OK to start the engine ( I've reinstalled the drain plug ) to warm the oil seeing I've only drained less than 2 qts.?

3) If the answer to #1 above is no, why isn't more oil draining from the tank?

• Moderators

There are two drain plugs, one on the tank and one on the left side of the engine crank case.

After a long time of stand stil a part of the oil flows back in to the crank case, this is the reason for the small amount of oil you spot. You have to remove both drain plugs.

There are two drain plugs, one on the tank and one on the left side of the engine crank case.

After a long time of stand stil a part of the oil flows back in to the crank case, this is the reason for the small amount of oil you spot. You have to remove both drain plugs.

The car hadn't been run for over a month. As it isn't practical for me to run the car at this time my plan was to drain the tank for a day and then the crankcase for a day and change out the filter. Per Loren's instructions I guess I started with the wrong drain plug. From what you've said should I expect the majority of the oil to drain from the crankcase vs the tank if the car hasn't been run for a month and just the opposite if the oil is at operating temp? If I don't have to run the car to get a proper drain I would like to finish this project. Otherwise I'll wait until spring. Does the oil temp have anything to do with the amount of oil that can be drained from the system?

Wayne K