Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine Swap for 987 ?

I am considering my next car and looking ahead 5 years as well. I am thinking of getting a MY2005 987 Boxster now and in 5 years dropping in a 3.6. It looks like it shouldn't be any different than doing the same for a 986. If I have any issues, I figure I can always bring it to Todd and he'll have it replaced in an hour. :lol:

I like the front end of the 987 Boxster vs that of the Cayman. I just don't like the VW Bettle fog lights in the grill of the Cayman. I also like the idea of a wolf in sheep's clothing. To round out the conversion, I plan to get the Zeintop (not available for 987 yet). All in all this should cost around $55K and be more versatile than a 997 Targa that costs almost 2X. It also allows me to phase in the costs. Any thoughts? Comments? Or should I just get a 987S now?

$35K Boxster 987

$15K engine swap

$5K Zeintop

I am considering my next car and looking ahead 5 years as well. I am thinking of getting a MY2005 987 Boxster now and in 5 years dropping in a 3.6. It looks like it shouldn't be any different than doing the same for a 986. If I have any issues, I figure I can always bring it to Todd and he'll have it replaced in an hour. :lol:

I like the front end of the 987 Boxster vs that of the Cayman. I just don't like the VW Bettle fog lights in the grill of the Cayman. I also like the idea of a wolf in sheep's clothing. To round out the conversion, I plan to get the Zeintop (not available for 987 yet). All in all this should cost around $55K and be more versatile than a 997 Targa that costs almost 2X. It also allows me to phase in the costs. Any thoughts? Comments? Or should I just get a 987S now?

$35K Boxster 987

$15K engine swap

$5K Zeintop

Why not go for the X 51 3.8 ltr it may be easier!

C-Man,

Any issues with additional torque from X51 3.8 on non-S tranny? I see that Ruf offers these upgrades only for the 987S. Is there a technical reason or are they only doing this for exclusivity (as if their conversion price wasn't exclusive enough)?

Hung

C-Man,

Any issues with additional torque from X51 3.8 on non-S tranny? I see that Ruf offers these upgrades only for the 987S. Is there a technical reason or are they only doing this for exclusivity (as if their conversion price wasn't exclusive enough)?

Hung

I would think a six spped tranny would be the way to go with that swap! That way you are covered!

If you are going to do it, get the 3.8, it is the same money and the car will hold up fine. Issues with the later cars involve the PSM/ABS systems which I believe need to be upgraded when doing the conversion.

Todd

Todd,

I am quite uninitiated when it comes to engine swapping, except for reading what you have done. Can you explain why PSM/ABS will be an issue?

Thanks,

Hung

Yes, I think they're going for $4K primed or $5K for painted. They are only for the 986 though. The top for 987 Box is not out yet.

I think the Zeintop is in the USA already. There was a guy posting pictures of his car (one of the first) over on the www.986forum.com.

• 11 months later...

The price of the zeintops has dropped considerably in the last year, I believe primarily due to the collapse of the South African Rand against the dollar. The company is located in South Africa. Most of their production costs [labor, fiberglass] would be paid for in Rand. The Rand went from about 7:1 to 11:1 vs. the USD in the last year.

I imagine the global economic slump is driving down the price as well, due to a drop in demand.

They'll sell one unpainted for $2200 now. Add shipping, import duty the parts needed, and having it painted locally, it's about a $3200 project now.

The website says they now have the tops available for the 987. I'm getting one for my 986.

A good friend had Ruf do the first 987S upgrade to 3.8 X51 and loves it (Excellence did an article on the car a while back). Since it was the first time, it took them a little longer than originally expected to get everything sorted out. Ruf in Dallas is a nice short drive from you, or you could give them a call and find out why they don't do the upgrade on the base 987. Maybe the suspension isn't as beefy to handle the additional power, or running gear like wheel bearings, etc? Ruf had to do some suspension upgrades on my friend's car. If you can afford the S now and are ultimately looking for more power, get the S and enjoy the additional power over the base model until you do the upgrade. By the time you upgrade the engine, the Jake Raby improved engines should be worked out and you may be able to get even more power then

In 5 years time, direct injection will probably be widely available on all the Porsche cars and able to produce more power, better MPG and lower emissions. Not sure how feasible it will be to retrofit direct injection to a 2005 in the future. Maybe have a contingency plan to go for direct injection when you plan to do the engine upgrade by buying a 2010 model with a dead engine :o