Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 GT3 Shifter Install

leeshdw

Hi,

I purchased a GT3 Shifter #997.424.010.00 to be installed in a '02 996TT.

I removed everything and found out that one of the cable does not have a end attachment. Does that mean I have to replace the cable or is there an option to purchase that end attachment. Here are some pictures taken.

Stock Shifter

IMG_0409.jpg

997 GT3 Shifter

IMG_0410.jpg

Back of Stock Shifter

IMG_0412.jpg

Back of 997 GT3

IMG_0411.jpg

Notice the stock shifter have a "E" or "C" clip on the shifter and the GT3 does not.

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

i have just bought one of these as well, my one is a 997 gt3 figment and will be very interested to see what happens, i have a 996 turbo.

cheers robin

Hi,

I purchased a GT3 Shifter #997.424.010.00 to be installed in a '02 996TT.

I removed everything and found out that one of the cable does not have a end attachment. Does that mean I have to replace the cable or is there an option to purchase that end attachment. Here are some pictures taken.

Stock Shifter

IMG_0409.jpg

997 GT3 Shifter

IMG_0410.jpg

Back of Stock Shifter

IMG_0412.jpg

Back of 997 GT3

IMG_0411.jpg

Notice the stock shifter have a "E" or "C" clip on the shifter and the GT3 does not.

• 1 month later...

looks like a stock 987/997 shifter rather than a specific short shift for the 987/997. The short shift has a green rather than black plastic center to the shift mechanism and no plastic square sleeve over the upper ball joint where it fits into the white plastic lateral mechanism. I beleive the standard 987/ 997 shift mechanism is actually a shorter throw than the earlier 986/996 anyway. Ideally you need a service lock bridge to ensure the shift is correctly aligned before refitting the cables 996 424 395 03 costs a few dollars from Porsche but ensures the gears don't crunch when the shifter is reconnected.

• Moderators

This is old, but I just saw it. The first picture is not the stock shift. It is the EVO short shift, and with the EVO unit the black plastic cable connector is replaced with a metal version held in place with set screws.

You need to loosen the set screws in order to pull the metal connector off the cable.

This is the black plastic cable connector missing in the first picture, missing because it is not used with the EVO unit. Prior owner might have thrown it away. But you have it in the 997 shift you just bought.

For Berty, he is using the standard 997/987 shift in a 996 because people say it has a shorter throw as you note. The 997/987 short shift is blue plastic. His is black so it is the standard 997/987 shift.

post-4-1207306583_thumb.jpg