Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Installing a new Nav unit: AVIC-HD3BT

Hi all,

Planning to buy a pre fiber optics era Carrera, possibly a 2000/2001 Turbo.

Now, there are two basic dash versions, those with PCM1.0 and those without. I don't know, at this time which one will I get.

After the purchase, I'm planning to install a 2-DIN unit nav system such as the quoted Pioneer or the equivalent Clarion.

The questions are:

1 - Non PCM versions: Is it possible to remove the upper A/C controller to the lower area of the console, as in PCM versions? Will the wiring looms reach the lower position? Do I need new trim for this?

2 - PCM versions: are there any issues in removing the PCM unit and replacing it by an aftermarket 2-DIN unit? What informations/functions will I loose?

3 - Bose versions: what does this consist of? Is this made by Bose amplifiers/subwoofer stashed away and speakers? Are they reusable with an aftermarket, non Bose unit? Is there a difference between PCM and non PCM Bose versions?

Sorry for this bombardment of questions, but the ability of installing a state of the art nav system with a hard drive (which currently are 2-DIN units only) is a choice factor and any help with be appreciated!

Hi all,

Planning to buy a pre fiber optics era Carrera, possibly a 2000/2001 Turbo.

Now, there are two basic dash versions, those with PCM1.0 and those without. I don't know, at this time which one will I get.

After the purchase, I'm planning to install a 2-DIN unit nav system such as the quoted Pioneer or the equivalent Clarion.

The questions are:

1 - Non PCM versions: Is it possible to remove the upper A/C controller to the lower area of the console, as in PCM versions? Will the wiring looms reach the lower position? Do I need new trim for this?

2 - PCM versions: are there any issues in removing the PCM unit and replacing it by an aftermarket 2-DIN unit? What informations/functions will I loose?

3 - Bose versions: what does this consist of? Is this made by Bose amplifiers/subwoofer stashed away and speakers? Are they reusable with an aftermarket, non Bose unit? Is there a difference between PCM and non PCM Bose versions?

Sorry for this bombardment of questions, but the ability of installing a state of the art nav system with a hard drive (which currently are 2-DIN units only) is a choice factor and any help with be appreciated!

Can't answer most of your questions, but maybe a clarification on one point. In your last statement you say that the only state of the art nav systems with a hard drive are 2-DIN units. I'm not sure that is entirely correct. Kenwood sells a single DIN flip out unit (KVT-617 DVD) along with the hard drive nav system (KNA-G510). It's a pretty good system. Just wanted to throw it out as an option if this is a big influence on your purchase.

Will

Mmm, didn't know about that. I suppose the nav unit + hard drive (for music files, right?) are stashed away somewhere?

[Edit]: Just googled it and it won't do, the hard drive I want is to rip CDs into, besides holding the navdatabase.

Edited by laalves

I am getting my new to me MY99 C2 (non PCM but aftermarket Alpine 9856) on Monday and have been thinking the same idea. After having done a ton of research I have found the following.

1. The AC controls will easily move down with a $7 trim piece from Suncoast.

2. Some cutting will be needed in the Double Din area if it was a car that had no nav.

I am not sure about the Bose infacing or if you loose any functions remove the PCM.

Do you have a iPod? If so why look at the units that rip to HD? Just get an iPod controllable unit.

Good luck and let us know what unit you picked.

1. The AC controls will easily move down with a $7 trim piece from Suncoast.

2. Some cutting will be needed in the Double Din area if it was a car that had no nav.

1-Very interesting. Can you provide a link or a reference for that trim piece?

2-Can you elaborate a bit more, please?

Thanx!

1. This thread has trim part number http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...2;ac+trim\

2. I found another post somewhere that mentioned a cross member was between (horizontil to divide the two dins vertically) the two Din slots and was easily cutout. This is fairly common in most vehicles.

Have you gone and played with the different Nav units? That is the one thing holding me back. So far I find most of them to have very cheesy feel. To the point that I am now thinking of doing the mini PC mod. Or keep the Alpine 9856 and add a Parrot BT for phone and a Alpine 422i cable for my iPod.

One unit I have not tried is the combo Alpine w205 with blackbird. That seems interesting since it allows you to take the GPS with you to other cars. It has full iPod control but no HD to rip cd's too.

• 2 weeks later...
1. This thread has trim part number http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...2;ac+trim\

2. I found another post somewhere that mentioned a cross member was between (horizontil to divide the two dins vertically) the two Din slots and was easily cutout. This is fairly common in most vehicles.

Have you gone and played with the different Nav units? That is the one thing holding me back. So far I find most of them to have very cheesy feel. To the point that I am now thinking of doing the mini PC mod. Or keep the Alpine 9856 and add a Parrot BT for phone and a Alpine 422i cable for my iPod.

One unit I have not tried is the combo Alpine w205 with blackbird. That seems interesting since it allows you to take the GPS with you to other cars. It has full iPod control but no HD to rip cd's too.

I just bought a 99 C2 Cab and found a great deal on an Alpine IVA-W205 HU for <$400 (normally $650-900) :D . My intent is to move the heater controls to the lower console, delete the CD holder, and retain the "cubby" hole storage area.

At one time I had found a complete DIY, picture-by-picture thread in a forum. Problem is...I can't seem to locate it. Thing is...I don't remember having to "cut" anything for the double-DIN install. I'll keep looking and post if found.

RotorHead