Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Modded Boxsters

Hello, I am presently not a Porsche owner but have been checking out the boxster S as a fun summer car. I live on the coast in N. Calif. and there are lots of great roads in the area. One thing I have not found while searching for the right car is any modded cars. Do people not mod the boxsters, not sell the modded ones? or??? thanks, John

It depends on what you mean by mods. People do little things to their Boxsters like add Litronic headlights, add on board computer functions, new doorsills, rear speakers, etc. However, most people don't mod the exterior appearance of the car. Those that do usually use Porsche body kits, so the car still looks roughly correct.

If you mean mods in the engine sense, most people don't do that either. Modding a Boxster engine is expensive and unreliable, and often devalues a car pretty fast.

If you mean mods in the engine sense, most people don't do that either. Modding a Boxster engine is expensive and unreliable, and often devalues a car pretty fast.

Yes, I mean engine, susp type mods, specifically more hp mods. I like the boxster handling but am used to more power and torque. I saw someone converted a 3.6 liter(I think) 996 motor. At any rate, I wondered why so little work is being done coming from other cars where engine and susp mods are both readily available and very useful

The most popular engine mod now is to put a 996 engine (either a 3.4 or 3.6 liter, depending on year) into a Boxster.

Suspension-wise, the cars are already pretty good. You can get what's called an M030 option, either from the factory or aftermarket, that is a little more of a sport suspension. Past that, people have putting PSS9s on their Boxsters.

Riverflyer,

The gentleman that has the silver modded Boxster has done many mods.

GT3 seats, PSS9 suspension, 8 and 10 inch wheels and many body modifications.

The car is currently having a 996 motor modified and readied for installation.

I instructed him at the AX school earlier this year and saw him at the Coastal Driving School inaugural event at TH in April.

The car was to go to the shop very soon after that for the motor swap.

Can't remember his name but he is going all the way with this "street Boxster" :clapping:

Dan

I have the supercharger kit from turbo performance center coming in 2-3 weeks

comes with an eaton 62 blower, fvd high flow cat, headers, bigger intake pipe, cone filter, and to bring the temp down i'm putting in an aquamist 2d system to inject water/methanol

problem with modding is these bolt on's are **** expensive!

there was a boxster from cal. published in excellence mag....called his a gt-r or gt3-r

went to 3.4 and threw 75 shot dry nitrous system in it....dont think he blew up yet ...saw it in a dvd recently

other thing is that theres not much out there aside from the bigger engine..

however for the 996 and tt....tech art, by design, ruf, gemballa, ff, roock.....everyone is into it....i talked with my mechanic from eurosport and he said its just too hard to build up or tweek the boxster engine

if more of us modify and show off at meets,drivers ed, autox....porsche will listen

its happened to mercedes/amg, audi/street tuners, vw/neuspeed, viper/hennessy.....

Dan, thanks for the info, that is the car I want!!

RXbox, I would like to know more about your sc. kit. I love boost.

So I am not really sure about the differences between the S and standard model. If you knew you were going to mod, would you still buy the S model to start with??

I sold the Viper because of an unfortunate incident with a deer and a roadbank. And most importantly, an offer I could not refuse. I will get another soon though as they are great cars. I had a couple of M roadsters in the last few years and miss the ease, tossabliity etc of the smaller more modern car, hence the boxster. The M is just a bit too small and the boxster seems like a great car. I would get a z8 and be done with it if the prices would fall a bit more, but I do love to mod cars and a boxster project may be fun. If you would, drop me an email at yogajohn@mcn.org so I can hear more about the blower. thanks all, and keep any other feedback coming. John

re>>there was a boxster from cal. published in excellence mag....called his a gt-r or gt3-r<<

that car was for sale a few months ago - might still be for sale

If you are thinking supercharger type mods - I'd recommend the cheapest boxster you can find and transplant a 3.4L 911 and MOD that up. It might cost $20-$25K once you did engine, brakes, suspension, header, chips, cams etc. another $10K+ if you do body mods.

The biggest advantages of S over base are engine and brakes. If you are going to be moding the engine, the S doesn't get as much out of supercharging and headers so the gap in initial engine performance pretty much disappears. The price gap between a base Boxster and an S is too large to do it just for the bigger brakes and a 3rd radiator.

If you are coming from a Viper, all stock boxsters are going to feel pretty wussy - no scratch in 3rd at 40MPH in a boxster!