Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Boxster S OBC Hack

The tech tried it yesterday and said that it does not come up in the codes. Does anyone know how to activate it? He said that it was not the same as the older cars. Or do I need to have the switch hooked up first? I had the OBC Switch mode done by myself in my 01. Thanks and I can't seem to find any info that pertains to 2002+ on.

• Admin

1. He needs to make sure the model type is proper coded in th DME - you can not change anything unless it is. And, there were a bunch of Boxsters that came from the factory without the model type coded.

2. As of MY03 (with the new instrument cluster) the OBC has to be turned on in two places - the DME and the cluster.

3. On the newer cars I do not think you will see any display change until you add the switch.

• Moderators

Here are 3 links, if you search there are others.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...9917&hl=OBC

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1578

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry51902

He first needs to enter the order type into the DME as Loren said, before it can be turned on in the cluster. This DME step was not necessary on the 1997-2002. Print out the info and go back to the tech and he will know what to do.

Then once it is turned on you will not see anything, until you retrofit a stalk or switch. Just like you could not see anything on your 2001 until you did a retrofit.

If you are only interested in seeing the outside temp display, then you do not need to retrofit a stalk or switch. Just run one VW wire from the cluster connector to ground. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16650

Ok, Loren and Co. please clarify for me. I have an '04 Boxster S without the OBC is this post saying you can have the OBC features displayed on your non OBC? If so how can this be done. Thanks

FYI-Novice here so not to technical.

• Admin
Ok, Loren and Co. please clarify for me. I have an '04 Boxster S without the OBC is this post saying you can have the OBC features displayed on your non OBC? If so how can this be done. Thanks

You will need either the OBC stalk added toy your steering wheel or hack the dash switch that toggles the same process. The details are documented here but this may be much easier for someone that has doen it before.

You can have the OBC activated in your DME and instrument cluster by anyone with a PST2 or PIWIS tester.

You don't say where you are located but if you are close to me I'll be happy to turn OBC on for you. On MY01 and later Boxsters (and MY03 and newer Carreras) you will need to add the switch before you see anything in the display. On the older cars the outside temperature showed up immediately as it is the default for OBC.

You will need either the OBC stalk added toy your steering wheel or hack the dash switch that toggles the same process. The details are documented here but this may be much easier for someone that has doen it before.

You can have the OBC activated in your DME and instrument cluster by anyone with a PST2 or PIWIS tester.

You don't say where you are located but if you are close to me I'll be happy to turn OBC on for you. On MY01 and later Boxsters (and MY03 and newer Carreras) you will need to add the switch before you see anything in the display. On the older cars the outside temperature showed up immediately as it is the default for OBC.

Central Florida. Anyone in Central Florida for this??

Edited:

I guess you need the 4 stalk for the OBC to be fully functionable, anyone know where to get a 4 stalk? What might be the charge for the local dealer to install the 4 stalk?

Edited by towney