Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best Way To Get Fluid In Transmission?

• Moderators

I have no trick to defy gravity on a mid-engine car for a DIYer. You have to pump the oil out of the container into the fill plug opening with a plastic pump unless you can get the spout of the container up there at an angle.

Open to new suggestions.

post-24-1083710474_thumb.jpg

Actually, what I normally use in these situations is a custom-made fire extinguisher. I took a regular fire extinguisher, cut a hole in the top, and inserted an air nipple (like you have in your tires). I can unscrew the top, fill about 3/4 up with fluid, and pressurize it. That works pretty well - I just wondered if there were other ideas.

I did exactly what tool pants did. The pumps won't fit into the bottle, so I poured about 1/3 of a bottle at a time into another jar. It's not pretty, but it was not as messy as I thought it would be. Just take your time to avoid getting oil all over yourself ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where the drain plug and filler are on the 6-speed "S" manual transmission. I think I've found the filler hole about half way back on the left side (from the rear - the driver's side in the US), but nothing lines up with the hole in the undertray. Also are they just hex / allen keys or something more exotic like a Torx.

Any ideas gratefully received - even better a schematic would be excellent.

Cheers,

Mike.

• Moderators

You have to remove the metal plate to get to the drain plug. You are right - the hole in the plate does not line up with the plug on a manual transmission.

The only time I have seen the hole used is when injecting automatic transmission fluid into the the triptronic transmission. The plate is not removed. When the mechanic removed the plug through the hole I expected fluid to run out - but that is the plug to add fluid on a tip.