Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Daytime Running Light Mod on Ebay

Has anyone bought one of these kits to allow your daytime running lights to be on all the time? There is one on ebay for $10 bucks, and I do like the aspect of keeping the running lights on for safety reasons, but don't want to screw up my car.

Also, if you've done this, will it wear down your battery?

Thank you,

Tom

I have purchased one of these kits, but have been waiting to put it in because of the same concerns which you have. Help someone, Please. Ed

What does the "kit" consist of? Can you provide some details so that we can help?

After a little more digging, I found there are basically 3 options...

1) use the mod described in the link above (Yoseif Whiteson's mod where you jump the fuse box)

2) buy and install a new "canadian" relay (can anyone do this?)

3) turn the lights on yourself everytime you get in the car

I did do a keyword search on "Daytime Running Lights" on this forum and came up with alot of info. This site is a great resource!

Edited by TommyMambo

Has anyone bought one of these kits to allow your daytime running lights to be on all the time? There is one on ebay for $10 bucks, and I do like the aspect of keeping the running lights on for safety reasons, but don't want to screw up my car.

Thank you,

Tom

I brought a 99 C2 Cab from the US into Canada and needed to activate the DTRL feature. The local dealer wanted $600 to do it. You don't need a kit. I used the instructions on the Whiteson link and the fix cost me less than a dollar. I couldn't find the fuse taps that they reference as we don't have Radio Shack in Canada anymore. I made the taps myself out of some thin copper, soldered the wire to the taps and it works fine. I put an Amprobe on the jumper wire and there is no evidence of any overheating/overloading the jumper wire.

Thank you,

Tom

I did this mod about a year ago. It is very easy to do and no problems yet. You don't need the kit. All it takes is a jumper wire from the power seat fuse to the headlight fuse. That's all it takes and you're done. take no more the 5 minutes

Thank you,

Tom

The first 996 I owned was of canadian origin and therefore had DRLs. The difference was that the street/parking/tail lights operated along with the headlamp DRL bulbs. I thought this such a good idea that when I purchased my new '01 C4 I wanted the same setup so I wired the seat heater fuse power source over to the left and right street/parking/tail light circuits.

I also replaced the W6W DRL bulbs with 3 watt Luxeon LEDS.