Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

what upgrade will void Factory Warranty?

Hi, after looking a while, I end up with two choises.

And here are the problems. please help

For 2006 Cayman S 5100 mile, bi-Xenon, Chrono Sport pkg, a wing for $48K

the owner has done upgrades by replacing

a) GIAC software

b ) Toyo Tire (has 3000 miles on them)

c) Some performance Break (but the break light is one, and he said because the break pad is off centered when they were installed)

d) Febspeed header,

e) after market exhaust(forget the brand, but has a twin pipe golden finish and is really loud, after 6K RPM, sounds like firecracker, or gun shoots?) and

f) While driving, the back of the car had click sound when go over bumps, he said there is a recall that issue (I am hopping it is not engine)

For 2004 Carrer 18,000 mile, for $54K

a) more conferable when driving it, the gear box is some smooth (not short shifter), and when i hit 91, it felts like 65.

b ) And it has this option, there is a button, that you can choose to close or open the muffler or some thing like. When i turn it off, the car is much quieter at high RPM (I may never turn it off, what is the point to get a sport car, if it doesn't shout)

c) the engine feels more powerful and smoother.

d) Usually the peak of the HP is before the Red Line, you will start to loose power after the peak. And the car will start to slow down. this will let people know it's time to shift up. But with this 2004 911, when i was in second gear, the power of the car is continually increasing, even when I hit the Red Line (not that i don't like it, but it cut the fuel), it make me felt this car can at least go 8K RPM or more. I have drove two 1999 Carrera , one 2000 Carrera, one 2001 Carrera 4, two 2003 Carrera and one 2003 Carrera 4S. And this 2004 gave me the complete difference than any of the cars. I was wondering if this 2004 Carrera has X51 power Kit, How can i tell?

the questions

1. will the upgrades that he has done VOID the factory 2006 Cayman S warranty???

2. I also drove a 2008 Cayman, but the gear box in the Cayman is not nearly close to the 2004 911. 911's gear box is much smoother than Cayman. do they have different gearboxes? In Cayman From Second to Third gear, I shifted at 7K RPM, the gear felt like hit in or forced in, not like 911, gear felt like gentely go in.

3.How can i tell if this 2004 Carrera has X51 power Kit?

thanks

Edited by ttttttttttaa

So does any one had some "click" sound (sound like some thing is loosing) in the Cayman S? He said there is a recall on this?

thanks

Some 06 Caymans have had what is called a "trunk thump" which is a noise made by the rear hatch when you go over bumps (mine doesn't have the problem, so I am going by other's descriptions). It is related to the weight that is mounted inside the hatch door itself, and there is an official Porsche fix for it if it occurs (it is not a recall campaign). It is not related to the engine.

For an aftermarket part or modification to void your warranty, the factory service dept. has to be able to prove that the modification caused the problem that you bring it in for, and it would only void the warranty for that part or system. The GIAC software may be detectable by the PIWIS computer (I don't know for sure), but just having it wouldn't necessarily void your whole warranty.

So does any one had some "click" sound (sound like some thing is loosing) in the Cayman S? He said there is a recall on this?

thanks

Some 06 Caymans have had what is called a "trunk thump" which is a noise made by the rear hatch when you go over bumps (mine doesn't have the problem, so I am going by other's descriptions). It is related to the weight that is mounted inside the hatch door itself, and there is an official Porsche fix for it if it occurs (it is not a recall campaign). It is not related to the engine.

For an aftermarket part or modification to void your warranty, the factory service dept. has to be able to prove that the modification caused the problem that you bring it in for, and it would only void the warranty for that part or system. The GIAC software may be detectable by the PIWIS computer (I don't know for sure), but just having it wouldn't necessarily void your whole warranty.

thanks man, that helps a lot. I probably will get the car. by the way, I checked on Autocheck, and the car is purchased Oct, 2005.

So this car is one of the early cars.

• 8 months later...
Go for the 996. Better car.

Care to elaborate on that ? I'm curious...(not sarcastic, curious) Did you mean between those 2 choices or in general ?

I had a 2003 996 (3.6) which I really liked but let go after my kid was born - not the usual kid excuse, just that I did not use it much anymore and it was depreciating like a rock... I was hoping to get a Cayman S in the future for somethign different.. What makes the 996 a better car in your mind then? (or was it jus tin this case)

In my mind, the Cayman S had the better interior (seats especially), looks very good, and I love the balance of the car afforded by the mid-mounted engine (I've had boxsters).. Is that 3.4 a bad motor or something, or was it because of the GIAC thing (if so I understand) ? Seems to me the choice would be between a used 05 997 or a used 06-08 Cayman S in the same range...

Edited by deschodt

• 1 month later...

Here is something that people do not seem to know about regarding warrantees and after market parts. In the US no car manufacturer can void a warranty because of after market parts. Its against the law. They can refuse specific warranty service for a problem if they can prove that the aftermarket parts contributed to the problem.

Examples:

1) Porsche could refuse to do engine work on a car with an aftermarket chip.

2) Porsche can not refuse to do engine work on a car with aftermarket shocks.

3) Porsche can not refuse to repair the AC if you had installed an aftermarket exhaust.

A car manufacturer cannot totally void a warranty unless you have done something that their warranty states will specifically void it - like racing.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks

Actually the better way to think about Magnussen-Moss act (dealer can only refuse a warranty if the modded part was the cause), is that the dealer can refuse anything they want. Then YOU will have to prove that the modded part DID NOT cause the problem. This has happened to quite a few people, and unfortunately the dealer has more $'s and resources than you. Best bet is to just ask your particular dealer. Some are very accomodating, some are ridiculous.

Edited by wolverine