Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Slight Pulley Noise - 2004 Cayenne S

First of all i've only had this car for about a month so i'm still familiarizing myself with its characteristics. I'm not sure if this is normal or not but the sound i hear is not metallic but more like plastic "clack clack" sound. From the inside the car you won't hear it. But it's noticeable if you are in front of the car with the hood open. I've looked all over the engine and I'm pretty sure that it's coming from this pulley "#17" from the pic below. It seems to be a free spinning pulley.

cayenneengine3ze.jpg

The pulley assembly has a very very slight play on it of about 1mm although the 3 screws holding it are very tight. Then, i proceeded to remove the pulley and it itself is fine. Now i'm wondering if i could remove the base where the pulley mounts to check its rotor. It looks to be attached to the engine with about 12-15 8mm star bolts. Anybody know if it's ok to remove this and if i do remove it, what torque specs i need to use to put it back on?

Edited by gt2rs

Another pic of the engine. Again i'm referring to the top most pulley near the intake manifold:

Cayenne_Engine.jpg

I have the exact same issue - from what I have read there is a water pump behind that pulley and they are known to go bad in the 04'

Will be taking mine to the dealer soon...

JR

Another pic of the engine. Again i'm referring to the top most pulley near the intake manifold:

Cayenne_Engine.jpg

I have the exact same issue - from what I have read there is a water pump behind that pulley and they are known to go bad in the 04'

JR

Thanks for your reply. Did you get a quote on how much this job will be?

Cayenne_Engine.jpg

JR

Thanks for your reply. Did you get a quote on how much this job will be?

No quote as of yet - I will post up as soon as I find anything out...

JR

It takes approx. 1 hour to change the water pump and makes the car roadworthy.

I called 3 dealerships and was quoted between $700-$800 parts/labor. Scheduled it for thursday.

Edited by gt2rs

I called 3 dealerships and was quoted between $700-$800 parts/labor. Scheduled it for thursday.

I am scheduled for Thursday as well - dealer had the water pump in stock - this should be a good test for the 3rd party warranty I purchased for the CT lat year.

JR

When I dropped off the CT service writer said it was the water pump as soon as he heard the noise - he has it heard it many times before - will let you know how the repair goes.

JR

UPDATE: Work order states "coolant pump bearing major play" total price $774.10 - so nice to not hear that anymore...

Edited by CT44

When I dropped off the CT service writer said it was the water pump as soon as he heard the noise - he has it heard it many times before - will let you know how the repair goes.

JR

UPDATE: Work order states "coolant pump bearing major play" total price $774.10 - so nice to not hear that anymore...

I was also told the same. I won't get mine back till monday though. The dealership didn't realize that they didn't have the gasket in-stock until they took my car in. So now i'm driving around with Subaru Tribeca loaner for the weekend!

Just wondering what mileage are on these units? Is the replacement pump an updated part?

2004 Cayenne Turbo...39,000 miles - pump replacement part# 948-106-011-04

I am guessing it is an updated pump since there where a lot of failures on the early ones.

JR

Got my car back and no more annoying noise. Like stated throughout this thread its a defective water pump. Here's exactly what was replaced:

Water Pump: 948-106-011-04

Steel Gasket: 948-106-115-03

Antifreeze: 000-043-301-05

I asked the Advisor if the pump was an updated version but really didn't get a specific answer for this part. He just said that whatever latest version provided by the manufacturer is what they install in service.

• 2 months later...

I also got quoted 5.5 hours (it is what their program says). I was told it was mostly to do with removing the schrouding, the actual pump replacement is about an hour. My 04 CS is so bad the I had about 1" of play in the pulley. Pissing out coolant (well now water) sometimes, and then barely anything at other times. I have to wait until Wednesday to get it replaced, they also said that they were going to replace the serpintine belt....... does that sound right? They pretty much said "well while we are in there we might as well replace it. Granted I have 144K Km on it, but it almost sounded like they were replacing it just cause............

Cheers

Invoice has it as 5.5 hours which was approved by 3rd party warranty - I am assuming that is accurate.

JR