Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OEM Wheels

I know this has been discussed in similar threads recently, but can someone tell me why the OEM wheels are so much more expensive than the replica offerings available.

I was in the local dealership today investigating the possibility of adding 19" Carrera S wheels to my 987 Boxtser until the parts guy came back with a price of £2700!

That's over $5000 to those of you in the USA.

Are the Porsche wheels all forged? In the majority of cases, replica wheels are cast which I am led to believe is an inferior way of manufacturing. Is this correct?

Many thanks

Not all Porsche OE wheels are forged, most are of the cast variety. As I understand it, only the Turbo standard wheels are forged on the current models. Cost comes down to OE and dealer margins, but there is another factor.

OE wheels have to survive/contribute to crash test results - as the front of the car deforms and the wheel well is compressed, the wheel is a critical structural member in the absorption of the crash impact. Regardless of the angle of the wheel at impact, it is a key aid in mitigating the deformation of the wheel well - and it's subsequent intrusion into the passenger footwell.

You can't let a crash test be the sole factor in wheel purchase considerations, but there is usually a reasonable explanation for the expense of an OE wheel vs. the cheaper look-a-likes that are made in China, Taiwan or other low cost, minimal regulation manufacturing locales.

Not all Porsche OE wheels are forged, most are of the cast variety. As I understand it, only the Turbo standard wheels are forged on the current models. Cost comes down to OE and dealer margins, but there is another factor.

OE wheels have to survive/contribute to crash test results - as the front of the car deforms and the wheel well is compressed, the wheel is a critical structural member in the absorption of the crash impact. Regardless of the angle of the wheel at impact, it is a key aid in mitigating the deformation of the wheel well - and it's subsequent intrusion into the passenger footwell.

You can't let a crash test be the sole factor in wheel purchase considerations, but there is usually a reasonable explanation for the expense of an OE wheel vs. the cheaper look-a-likes that are made in China, Taiwan or other low cost, minimal regulation manufacturing locales.

Thanks for that. I am told that these are of the "made in Italy" variety and are as strong as the OEM wheels. Is it worth paying extra for the OE wheels in your opinion?

I don't want to steer your action in any direction, but if it were my car, I would feel better knowing that OE wheels were under it. If you ever sell the car, the factory option will be a plus for the new buyer, and would net you a higher resale.

At the end of the day, I would have to agree with geza. There are some brands that carry as much cache as OEM. BBS, HRE, Fikse are a few that come to mind. I think it really does come down to peace of mind, IF you can afford it.

Edited by donlycan

Most of the parts on a Porsche are actually made by external companies such as bilstein , sachs , delphi. The lights come from Kioto (japan) and are made in the czech republic. I would not be at all surprised if the replica and OEM wheels come from the same factory , the main difference being the replicas have a slightly different rim width, and do not have the Porsche part number on them. These differences are required as Porsche will tie up the manufacturer with contracts as sole suppliers. Only if the design is different can the supplier provide direct to the public. The main thing to check for peace of mind is if the replica items carry a TUV certificate or British Standard. Any parts supplied as aftermarket in Germany have to declare TUV certification , which is a guarantee that the part meets or exceeds OEM manufacturers quality. Even the OEM suppliers can sometimes get it wrong, a case in point being the Audi S4 wheel which was prone to cracking.

If the wheel has been designed as a cast item, there should be no issue with an alternative supplier replicating it. Only when the design relies on a forged manufacture would a cast alternative raise some issues.

Most of the parts on a Porsche are actually made by external companies such as bilstein , sachs , delphi. The lights come from Kioto (japan) and are made in the czech republic. I would not be at all surprised if the replica and OEM wheels come from the same factory , the main difference being the replicas have a slightly different rim width, and do not have the Porsche part number on them. These differences are required as Porsche will tie up the manufacturer with contracts as sole suppliers. Only if the design is different can the supplier provide direct to the public. The main thing to check for peace of mind is if the replica items carry a TUV certificate or British Standard. Any parts supplied as aftermarket in Germany have to declare TUV certification , which is a guarantee that the part meets or exceeds OEM manufacturers quality. Even the OEM suppliers can sometimes get it wrong, a case in point being the Audi S4 wheel which was prone to cracking.

If the wheel has been designed as a cast item, there should be no issue with an alternative supplier replicating it. Only when the design relies on a forged manufacture would a cast alternative raise some issues.

Thanks for the response. I find your comments about the wheel width interesting. I have seen these Made in Italy wheels advertised on various sites as 9.5x19 and 10x19, although now I'm not convinced about the true widths. On that basis I've decided to spend the extra £900 and get the OEM wheels. At least I'll feel safe in the knowledge that if a wheel fails at 80mph then my £50K Porsche will be replaced by Porsche UK. If I come to sell my car in the future, I can always shift it to a dealer with the standard 18" wheels and sell the 19's privately.

Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

HEY, I am about to grab a set of used 19" Carrera S Wheels (8x19 57mm and 9.5x19 46mm) over the net ... now i am pretty sceptical whether the guy is selling his originals or replicas - he claimed originals.

Also, does Porsche manufacture this wheels with various offsets and widths? or do they only make a standard 57mm/ 46mm and 8x19/ 9.5x19 respectively??

HEY, I am about to grab a set of used 19" Carrera S Wheels (8x19 57mm and 9.5x19 46mm) over the net ... now i am pretty sceptical whether the guy is selling his originals or replicas - he claimed originals.

Also, does Porsche manufacture this wheels with various offsets and widths? or do they only make a standard 57mm/ 46mm and 8x19/ 9.5x19 respectively??

I believe the Replicas have Made in Italy on them and lack the Porsche Part number which is usually cast on the wheel next to the tyre valve.

The part numbers for the 19" Carrera S wheels are 987 044 602 05(6). The fronts have a 57mm offset and the rears 46mm.

Porsche make two variations of this wheel. The other being a 11x19 for the 997, with a 295/35/19 tyre and offset of 71mm. I don't think that these fit the Boxster though.

Edited by CJP80

thanks for the info.. the photo shows the numbers on the valve alright. just hope that when i take delivery of it, it would be the same set of rims.

btw have you changed yours yet? and any spacers that you might like to fit on? 5mm is all porsche recommends.. will adding thicker spacers void any warranty if any thing happens?

Hey let me know how you go. I'm interested to get a set as well. Do you have website details??

thanks for the info.. the photo shows the numbers on the valve alright. just hope that when i take delivery of it, it would be the same set of rims.

btw have you changed yours yet? and any spacers that you might like to fit on? 5mm is all porsche recommends.. will adding thicker spacers void any warranty if any thing happens?