Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

987 Total Repaint?

I'm sad... just found out today that someone poured acid on my Boxster! Who carries acid around??? The marks on my car cannot be buffed out..been to a detailer and that was the sad prognosis unfortunately! Its affected my boot and also my front bonnet .. and small marks on my rear guards as well.

Does anyone know how much this would cost to totally respray? Its in steel grey. Plusses and negatives?

Also, anyone in Melbourne Victoria? That knows a good panel beater??

Thanks in advance! :(

Edited by henrylee1

Sorry to hear about that - you get all types.

I would have thought that your insurance company should pay for vandalism so all you would have to miss out is your car while it was being repainted and loss of your deductible.

Think pos it's only a car. A lot worse stuff can happen to you. Cheers and keep your chin up. :)

post-28400-1209234810.jpg

Henry,

Assuming your insurance is paying for it I would talk to the guys at Porsche Centre Melbourne.

The weekend before I was due to pick up my car from them (Xmas '07) somebody jumped the fence in the yard and ran over a whole bunch of cars (mine included). They trucked the car off to their panel beater and it came back in absolute mint condition.... the panel beater called out a number of areas that I hadn't spotted and repaired those along with the more obvious dents.

The only problem with such a good respray is that every new stone chip upsets me.....

Hope this helps.... Dave

For a number of reasons (too complicated to get into in this forum), it is unlikely that I would want to claim this through insurance. So, I think I would have to pay this out myself.

I've probably rung 20 different panel beaters in Melbourne ... prices ranged between $3 - $7k for a total respray. In the end, I went with a guy that's charging me $5k. I dont really understand the whole re-spraying process, so didnt really know what to look out for??!! But having spoken to a few panel beaters, they gave me some hints.

I guess the best tip was to go with someone who used Glasurit paint ... and paint system. Anyone agree with this? I guess the rest comes down to technique, and making sure that they remove all the bits and pieces before respraying. The panel beater that I went with also looked and seemed honest...

Anyway... lets see what happens in the end....??!!

Thanks for your responses!

Henry,

Assuming your insurance is paying for it I would talk to the guys at Porsche Centre Melbourne.

The weekend before I was due to pick up my car from them (Xmas '07) somebody jumped the fence in the yard and ran over a whole bunch of cars (mine included). They trucked the car off to their panel beater and it came back in absolute mint condition.... the panel beater called out a number of areas that I hadn't spotted and repaired those along with the more obvious dents.

The only problem with such a good respray is that every new stone chip upsets me.....

Hope this helps.... Dave

Ok this is going to sound a bit silly ... but i dont know when/how it happened. The first I noticed the marks was when i went out to the garage, but it must have happened prior but I obviously hadnt spotted it.

I will tell you how it all went.

Henry,

Out of interest - where were you parked when your car was damaged? Sounds like somewhere I want to avoid.

Good luck with the respray....