Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trunk Release Issue

My keyless entry on my '00 won't open the back trunk anymore. I just hear some gear noise (as if it were trying to release it) and then nothing. The manual latch near the drivers seat still works so it's currently more of a nuisance than anything else.

Anybody have any ideas?

• Moderators

The cable of the by the remote controlled electric motor is probably broken, if you open the trunk with the manual handle and remove the trim under the trunk latch, you can take a look.

The cable of the by the remote controlled electric motor is probably broken, if you open the trunk with the manual handle and remove the trim under the trunk latch, you can take a look.

Thanks. I'll take a look this weekend.

Wow! I read the whole thread and all he had to do was take it to the dealer to recode his key? Funny.

Well, mine is definitely making noise when I push the button on the key so it does sound like a broken cable. I'll get into it this weekend and maybe take some pics if need be. Thanks!!! This thread will definitely help me to diagnose the problem better

• 3 weeks later...
Why would there be separate servos for the keyremote and hardwired buttons? Wouldn't they just actuate the same servo?

Not sure -but there are. I checked this week and sure enough - the cable for the key fob has snapped.

I checked with Porsche and they said it could cost upwards of around $300.

It looks like the cable snakes pretty deep into the car too so on the surface it doesn't look like something that a rookie like myself could easily fix. :(

• 1 year later...

I found this thread after experiencing the same problem.

I'm not in the mood to try and re-thread the cable through the car to replace it.

I bet there is a way to use the existing broken cable end and splice a connector to the latch lever?

Has anyone been sucessful in repairing it?

I was able to repair my broken rear trunk latch this evening!!

And the BEST part, it cost me LESS THAN $2.00!!

Here is a summary of the problem and how I repaired it, however, bear in mind this write up is for informational purposes ONLY. I do not take any responsibility for consequences of YOU doing this repair.

HISTORY

I was unable to open the rear trunk using the key fob.

I DID hear the solenoid click when I depressed the key,

I WAS able to open the trunk using the manual release.

I verified the broken electric release cable by removing the plastic cover of the rear latch by unscrewing the 2 Phillips head screws.

Photo Below (sorry for the blurriness)

Intact manual release cable (black stopper)

Broken electric release cable (white stopper)

post-9429-1263109862_thumb.jpg

I went to Hobby People and bought a package of 2 4-40 threaded couplers, $1.85

They are sold in packages of 2. The photo below shows the package the couplers came in, One of the 2 couplers and the broken connection which attaches to the electric release wire and the latch itself.

post-9429-1263110037_thumb.jpg

I next used a regular soldering iron and solder to fasten the coupler to the broken wire. It took a little time to melt the solder just right. I imagine you could use an epoxy like JB Weld. The Photo below is actually the finished product but it shows a close up of the weld at this step (to the left).

post-9429-1263110117_thumb.jpg

The next step was to put an electrical connector on the threaded side of the coupler. Below is a close up of the electrical connector I had in my garage.

post-9429-1263110163_thumb.jpg

The beauty of this design is that the threaded coupler lets you adjust the position of the electrical connector to match up exactly with the latch. Once I got that length just right I soldered the electrical connector to the coupler.

Now all I had to do was remove the clip holding the cables to the latch, remove the broken piece and replace it with the new repair. Here are two different angles of the final repair.

post-9429-1263110216_thumb.jpg

post-9429-1263110117_thumb.jpg

Next I verified both the manual and electric releases worked properly, then I replaced the black plastic trim piece and I was done!