Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster snow driving

I don't personally- What I'm going to tell you is what I've read on ppbb.com for the past 8 months...

You MUST put on a good set of snow tires (all four wheels). Once done, the Boxster is fine in snow. It's even better if you have PSM.

On the chains, you can't use them if you have 18" tires. Most folks at ppbb.com have a different set of wheels with snow tires mounted on them. A lot of them like the 16" for use with chains because it gives good clearance between the tire and fender.

I use Blizzaks and they are awesome but expensive. Even with good snow tires you'll have to drive carefully in heavy snow fall. I remember I couldn't go up a steep hill once, the tires kept spining. Overall it's ok to drive in the snow. It's also good to have a beater for those horrible days, I have a 93 Cherokee.

The Good news - The Boxster is as good in the snow as most other cars.

The Bad News - Heavy snow will rip up your mud flaps and undercar plastics trays. Rocks imbedded in snow will drastically increase your stone chips. Potholes hide very effectively under a layer of snow.

The Worst news - even PSM doesn't work very well under 10 MPH in heavy snow. In general, I seem to find that traction in slush is BETTER over 30MPH than under 30MPH. Over 30MPH it feels like I imagine rally car driving to feel. Under 30MPH it is sometimes more like steering a sailboat.

I have successfully driven 10-15 miles in 5 inch snow, with comfortable traction at speeds in the 30-60MPH range, only to slide into a snow bank at 3 MPH taking off from a light. This happened 3 times last winter. One of those times, I did a slow motion slide 7 feet into my mailbox and left a shoe sized dent.

As Alienz said - there are days you'd rather drive a beater.

IMO - On other days, you NEED to drive your Boxster.

If you do decide to drive in a snowy winter:

I won't do chains because, it turns out that a lot of WINTER driving is not SNOW driving, and you really need winter tires to handle cold and clear road conditions. Also, I can't imagine going 100 MPH with chains on. I suspect chains would permanently damage the belts on an ultra-high performance tire.

My Ultra-High performance summer tires start losing grip when the ambient temperature falls below 50 degrees. Somewhere about 40 degrees, the grip on my winter tires are better than my summer tires.

If you do decide to drive TOP DOWN in a snowy winter:

Plan ahead.

The top cannot be put down OR PUT UP when the plastic window is below 40+ degrees without a significant risk of cracking the window.

There are times when a 27 degree morning will sneak up on you.

I keep an electric blanket folded around my plastic window in the down position when there is a risk of frost. Somedays you may have to drive top down until the rear window warms up. God bless seat heaters.

Conversely, you can't put the top down on a (relatively) balmy 36 degree day until you have warmed the interior of the car. Somedays you may have to drive top UP until the rear window warms up. This can take 15-20 minutes and drastically change the character of a 20 minute drive.

Using a Boxster as a convertible in the winter takes planning and preparation - but it can be just as rewarding as catching snowflakes on your tongue.

Ad Sach (lessons learned in my first winter with snow)

re: Anyone try snow with all season M+S rated tires?

No.

Why would I?

Winter tires (Blizzaks) are better than M+S in the winter.

Summer Tires(ES100) are better than M+S in the summer.

M+S are worthless on the track and not high speed rated.

My logic is: If I'm going to be changing tires twice a year anyway, I might as well buy specialized tires for winter. They don't wear out very fast, so the higher cost is worth it to me.

IMO - If you are interested in lower cost winter driving compromises, it makes more sense to get a winter beater and garage your Boxster.