Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

92' Tiptronic won't shift properly - Really need help!

808c4

Just bought a beautiful 1992 C2 Cabriolet for my wife...only bad thing is the Tiptronic Trans dosen't work in Manual mode and currently only drives in the emergency 3rd gear mode. Any advice and/or tricks to check and ultimately repair it will be greatly appreciated!!!

This car is a "mini" project for me to complete and for my wife to enjoy driving - Overall the car is in great condition but I am restoring it to almost new. Already began restoration project with all new tail lights, new interior carpet, various seals, various lost or broken pieces, and added keyless entry system. FYI: Other than the Tip not working properly she only really needs cosmetic touching up...at least to my standards. Most of my friends say the car is already in great condition but I really want to make it special for my wife. Especially because it's air-cooled. (FYI: I drive a 99' C4 6spd) Motor is tight, AC was upgraded to R134 and works perfectlty, upgraded stereo, seats in very good condition, everything works as it should, body only has a few dings, need to rapaint the rear decklid, new top installed, ...as I mentioned for how old the car is she is in great shape...just want to fix the transmission!

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me to save money not having to buy very expensive parts unnecessarily. I don't mind spending whatever it takes to get the car running properly...just don't want waste money if I don't have to.

Here's what I did so far:

1. Checked trans fluid - ok (plan to change fluid/filter soon anyway)

2. Removed center console, switches were very dirty covered in old foam washer particles - cleaned off switches - still doesn't work in Manual mode. (Tip Trans light stil lit up) FYI: I suspect the car had some light flood damage at one time due to the interior seems musty..the reason why I am changing the whole interior carpet.

3. Ordered new Tip Relay - wll change this weekend to see if it helps.

4. Plan to check individual switches soon.

5. Ordered 964 repair manual - ...waiting for it! Wish it would arrive sooner!

6. Also, the reverse lights are on when the car is in Park. They go out when trans in Drive. Why???

7. Trans "clunks" into Reverse mode. Suspect a trans mount or engine mount will need to be changed?

Anyway, enough rambling, any help will be much appreciated. JS

post-24926-1209891764_thumb.jpg

post-24926-1209891778_thumb.jpg

post-24926-1209891792_thumb.jpg

Edited by 808c4

CHeck the shifter position switch,they sometimes go out of adjustment or can fail outright.

Okay, is it an individual switch I can change out or do I have to change the whole bank of switches in the shifter area? Without the repair manual I am still not familiar with what I am looking at. Thanks!

Edited by 808c4

Is the Tiptronic warning lamp on the dash on?

Yes Loren it is. All other check lights function properly but the Tip light satys on even after you are driving. Also, as mentioned I know it stays in the emergency 3rd gear becuase the trans is not changing gears even when moving the auto + manual gear lever. Your expertise is well appreciated. I talked to a few mechanic friends and they suspect it is the shifter switchs located below the center console. If you have any pics or know where to find any reference pics it would help. I am still waiting for the C2 manual to arrive...but am very anxious to get this corected asap so we can have fun driving the car and ensuring we don't do any damage to the trans. Mahalo, JS

• 3 weeks later...
I sent you a PM with some info.

Thanks very much! I get to work on it right away... JS

Just used the Durametric Diagnostic Tool and got Fault Codes 38 (Transmission gear selector switch) and 53 (Kick-down switch) errors logged. Anyone have some insight if this is easy to fix? What I mean is...is it worth it to go through alll the tests in the repair manual or should I simply change out the switches??? I don't know if this is a common thing to go out on 964's as I have more experience with 996's.

If I need a repair manual which one should I buy to really fix/repair a 964??? Just bought the BentleyEnthusiasts Companion book but is simply an overview and not much help for my issue...I need the OEM detailed repair procedures. (Note: Thanks Loren for your IM, it helped but what and where can I buy a repair manual?)

Thank you to those that take time to assist me! Good news is I am getting closer to getting the Tiptronic to work properly... JS

I sent you a PM with some info.

Thanks very much! I get to work on it right away... JS

Just used the Durametric Diagnostic Tool and got Fault Codes 38 (Transmission gear selector switch) and 53 (Kick-down switch) errors logged. Anyone have some insight if this is easy to fix? What I mean is...is it worth it to go through alll the tests in the repair manual or should I simply change out the switches??? I don't know if this is a common thing to go out on 964's as I have more experience with 996's.

If I need a repair manual which one should I buy to really fix/repair a 964??? Just bought the BentleyEnthusiasts Companion book but is simply an overview and not much help for my issue...I need the OEM detailed repair procedures. (Note: Thanks Loren for your IM, it helped but what and where can I buy a repair manual?)

Thank you to those that take time to assist me! Good news is I am getting closer to getting the Tiptronic to work properly... JS

Okay, just did some checking yesterday...

1. When I start the car with the shift lever (as you normally should...) in PARK, once the car turns over the Tip warning light goes on and the trans is in emergency mode.

2. When I start the car from NEUTRAL the trans works just fine in Automatic mode as well as in Manual mode. Test drove the car and she shifts properly.

3. QUESTION: Can anyone tell me what needs to be done so I can start the car properly from Park??? I cleaned the microswitches, I disconnected then reconnected all trans connections possible. If someone (any expert) can help and I can correct the problem then I can move on to the next phase of my restoration... Many thanks in advance!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No haven't had anyone help yet! Only Loren has supplied a little info to point me in th eright direction but noone else has come forward with real technical/mechanical know how... Wish someone could give some insight on this common issue with the Tiptronic trans. Thanks and keep checking back.

JS

Hi all - I am new to this forum - Found you guys by googling for this very issue... Is there a resolution? This is the problem that I have.. EXACTLY....

thanks....

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem - the gearbox light on the dash comes on intermittently, whilst on the gearbox goes into limp mode, if i disconnect the cable from the transmission control module which is located under the drivers seat and replug in, the light goes out and the car drives perfect. so I too am stumped as to why it does this. did i see that there is a triptronic relay located in the car somewhere ? anyone know where its located ?

Lauren, could you PM me the info you sent to JS. Maybe I can fix my problem and in turn help JS and others.

thanks

No haven't had anyone help yet! Only Loren has supplied a little info to point me in th eright direction but noone else has come forward with real technical/mechanical know how... Wish someone could give some insight on this common issue with the Tiptronic trans. Thanks and keep checking back.

JS

Hi all - I am new to this forum - Found you guys by googling for this very issue... Is there a resolution? This is the problem that I have.. EXACTLY....

thanks....

have you had any success since posting to this site ? i have the same problem and still working through all the possible symtoms. Can you tell me how to replace the Trip relay switch and where is it located ? is it under the center console ?

i will try to help you whilst helping myself.

cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi

I've just had the very same problem on my way to work today. Tip worked fine in manual mode for about 12 miles. Then Tip warning light came on and gearbox went into 'limp home' mode.

I pulled over, turned the ignition off and restarted. Everything was fine again... then a few miles later, the same thing happened and I had to limp the rest of the journey.

This has only just happened so I haven't been able to look into the problem, but please keep us posted. I'll let you know it I discover anything.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem... One suggestion you can try to get home in normal mode is...when the problem arises, try restarting the car with key in acc. position, put the trans into "N", press and hold the brakes - of course, then start the car while it is in "N" position. Starting the car like this will enable you to work the Tip trans as normal...or at least until you can get to your home or shop to diagnose the problem.

*** One important note: IF YOU START THE CAR IN THE MANNER I HAVE DESCRIBED..BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO HIT OR PUSH THE TRANS LEVER FORWARD AND ACCIDENTALLY INTO "REVERSE"...THE LOCKOUT TO REVERSE WILL NOT WORK AND THE COMPUTER DOESN'T KNOW TO LOCKOUT THE REVERSE MODE...THIS CAN BE DISATEROUS IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE DRIVING FORWARD. EXERSICE EXTREME CAUTION IF YOU DO THIS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT DUE TO THIS TIP/TRICK. I AM MERELY TRYING TO HELP THOSE THAT NEED A METHOD OF GETTING THEIR PRECIOUS 911'S HOME SAFELY. ***

Sorry to sound so dramatic...it's really not that bad if you are careful. I have needed to drive my wife's C2 Cab Tip like this for several months now with no problems or at least until we figure out how to fix the problem at hand. It may take a while to figure it out though as we do not drive this car very often...usually only on Sunday mornings. FYI: My daily driver is either a 99' C4 or 91' NSX.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted of my progress.

Aloha, 808C4 :)

• 5 months later...

I found this tech forum online and was wondering if there was a final answer to the problem of getting the car out of limp mode. I've got a similar situation coming up...

I either made the greatest car purchase of my life or I could be in for a troubled future. I purchased a 1995 Porsche 968 tiptronic with 111K from a dealer recently for extremely cheap (about 5 grand). The car was listed on craigslist.com at a used car dealer out in the middle of nowhere. I talked to the guy selling many, many times before purchasing and he said that the car is a 8/10 on the exterior and a 9/10 on the interior. He said mechanically the car appears to be outstanding, except it is stuck in the limp mode with the tiptronic. He said that he doesn't have the diagnostic tools to fix it at his shop and he doesn't have the patience to send it on a flatbed to some other city that has the tools to try to get fixed and then flatbedded back to try to sell after what is an unknown amount of repair work to try to make an unknown profit, etc..etc..etc.. So he just wanted to move the car quickly and get it off his lot. Hence the low price. This is the story he sold and the one I bought.

As far as the tiptronic and the transmission is concerned... He said there is no grinding, no clunking, no odd noises. The car drives fine, but only in the single limp mode gear. Starts fine, goes in and out of P, N, D, R with no issues...but is in limp mode. I think the 95' tiptronic on the 968 was the same one being used on the 911's at that time. I read in a 968 forum that somebody had this problem before and it was a problem with the connection to the battery or something.

I bought the car and am having it shipped (the guy even set that up for me...awefully nice of him) straight to the front doors of IMA motorsports out in Chantilly, VA where they said they'd take a look at it. Does anyone have any input as to what I should expect from the repair shop? Was it a simple electrical connection issue or did things end up much uglier later on.

Hopefully a quick fix....if it turns into a 5-10K repair, I'll probably resell the car or part it out. Thanks for any input you might be able to provide.

Dane

• 2 months later...
I found this tech forum online and was wondering if there was a final answer to the problem of getting the car out of limp mode. I've got a similar situation coming up...

I either made the greatest car purchase of my life or I could be in for a troubled future. I purchased a 1995 Porsche 968 tiptronic with 111K from a dealer recently for extremely cheap (about 5 grand). The car was listed on craigslist.com at a used car dealer out in the middle of nowhere. I talked to the guy selling many, many times before purchasing and he said that the car is a 8/10 on the exterior and a 9/10 on the interior. He said mechanically the car appears to be outstanding, except it is stuck in the limp mode with the tiptronic. He said that he doesn't have the diagnostic tools to fix it at his shop and he doesn't have the patience to send it on a flatbed to some other city that has the tools to try to get fixed and then flatbedded back to try to sell after what is an unknown amount of repair work to try to make an unknown profit, etc..etc..etc.. So he just wanted to move the car quickly and get it off his lot. Hence the low price. This is the story he sold and the one I bought.

As far as the tiptronic and the transmission is concerned... He said there is no grinding, no clunking, no odd noises. The car drives fine, but only in the single limp mode gear. Starts fine, goes in and out of P, N, D, R with no issues...but is in limp mode. I think the 95' tiptronic on the 968 was the same one being used on the 911's at that time. I read in a 968 forum that somebody had this problem before and it was a problem with the connection to the battery or something.

I bought the car and am having it shipped (the guy even set that up for me...awefully nice of him) straight to the front doors of IMA motorsports out in Chantilly, VA where they said they'd take a look at it. Does anyone have any input as to what I should expect from the repair shop? Was it a simple electrical connection issue or did things end up much uglier later on.

Hopefully a quick fix....if it turns into a 5-10K repair, I'll probably resell the car or part it out. Thanks for any input you might be able to provide.

Dane

Hi all, Here's an UPDATE:

Still can't figure out why the Tip trans doesn't work properly yet! Changed the trans wiring harness, changed the Tip trans switch pack...still doesn't work properly. My Durametric software said it was the switch pack but that wasn't it... Realize now it must have soemthing to do with another problem - reverse lights stay on in "D" drive mode. I believe the reverse lights circuit not working properly is somehow sending a signal to the Tip Trans Control Unit which in turn causes the trans to go into "Emergency" Mode. Now trying to correct the reverse light situation before spending anymore money on Trans parts. Not sure if the Tip trans ahas a REVERSE Switch on the trans...anyone know? If yes then it may be a simple fix, otherwise will need to keep checking other possible areas. FYI: Bought most of those 964 repair and info manuals with no success. If anyone or a mechanic has come across this situation before, I would appreciate any advise. I know in time I can figure it out...only have time on weekeneds to tinker with car...

Many thanks! 808C4

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

Have the same issue with a 986 boxster. After Many trips to the Local Porsce dealer and over $1000 later, they have an 80% accurate theory that is the transmission computer wich for me means another $1500. They say this computer is not reading the transmission signal correctly wich causes the car to go to safe fail mode. Removing the batt cables and sometimes turning engine off and back on resets the signal but it comes down to the transmission computer. I will keep you all posted.

Dane

Still can't figure out why the Tip trans doesn't work properly yet! Changed the trans wiring harness, changed the Tip trans switch pack...still doesn't work properly. My Durametric software said it was the switch pack but that wasn't it... Realize now it must have soemthing to do with another problem - reverse lights stay on in "D" drive mode. I believe the reverse lights circuit not working properly is somehow sending a signal to the Tip Trans Control Unit which in turn causes the trans to go into "Emergency" Mode. Now trying to correct the reverse light situation before spending anymore money on Trans parts. Not sure if the Tip trans ahas a REVERSE Switch on the trans...anyone know? If yes then it may be a simple fix, otherwise will need to keep checking other possible areas. FYI: Bought most of those 964 repair and info manuals with no success. If anyone or a mechanic has come across this situation before, I would appreciate any advise. I know in time I can figure it out...only have time on weekeneds to tinker with car...

Many thanks! 808C4

• 1 year later...

UPDATE: In case anyone cares, I gave up and sold the car last month. Loved the car but just wasn't worth putting about $3K to fix the tiptronic.

A good fixture for a Porsche mechanic. good luck!!!

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi all.

Have the same issue with a 986 boxster. After Many trips to the Local Porsce dealer and over $1000 later, they have an 80% accurate theory that is the transmission computer wich for me means another $1500. They say this computer is not reading the transmission signal correctly wich causes the car to go to safe fail mode. Removing the batt cables and sometimes turning engine off and back on resets the signal but it comes down to the transmission computer. I will keep you all posted.

Dane

Many thanks! 808C4