Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery, Alternator or Starter?

This is one of those deals that can only happen to me. Parked the car in the garage overnight. Got in the next morning and I noticed the key blade was still in the ignition and the dashboard and radio were still on. Somehow the key blade disconnected from the clicker and I hadn't noticed when I got out of the car!

I pull the blade out the ignition with my hand and use my back up key to fire up the car. No problem. Moved it a few feet to rinse the top. Get back in the car and now the dang thing is freaking out. When I turn the key the dash lights up and radio comes on, top retracts (albeit slowly). When I turn the key all the way to with my foot down on the clutch the lights all start flashing on and off, the windows make some noise and I can hear the engine area making a loud click click click sound in sync with the flash flash flash of the dash board lights.

Before this I was getting the ocassional squeal from the starter. My first thought its finally dead. I called my local dealer he wants me to tow it in and they are promising me a $350 battery replacement if that's all that wrong. I'd like to test that out for myself first. Any suggestions for a generic battery that I can purchase over the counter? Or do you think this sounds like the starter or alternator? Thanks.

• Admin

1. Have the battery tested an auto store (new batteries are under $70).

2. If the battery proves good then I suspect that you have a bad ignition switch. Covered here many times before and there is a DIY for replacement.

1. Have the battery tested an auto store (new batteries are under $70).

2. If the battery proves good then I suspect that you have a bad ignition switch. Covered here many times before and there is a DIY for replacement.

Thanks, its times like these I wish I had more than one car!

That behavior sounds very much like a nearly dead battery. If you can get it charged I'm pretty sure you are ok to go. The battery may be near end of life, but the immediate problem is just that it got discharged while the blade was in the ignition switch.

That behavior sounds very much like a nearly dead battery. If you can get it charged I'm pretty sure you are ok to go. The battery may be near end of life, but the immediate problem is just that it got discharged while the blade was in the ignition switch.

I decided to have it towed by AAA to the dealer in the event that it was something bigger but when the tow truck driver arrived he decided to try and jump start it. Sure enough it fires right up. He took me to the local autozone and I paid $87 for a new battery(Titanium something or other), didn't have time to wait for a recharge. The old battery was 5 years old so I decided to just spring for the new.

I actually dropped off the car to have some paintwork done (bumper upgrade) directly across the street. Hope the battery was the issue. Sounds like I'm still due for a new starter, that squeal is becoming frequent (every 7th or 8th strart). Any suggestions? Should I take this to the stealership or buy my own rebuilt starter and have an indy replace it?

p.s.

Did however notice that the ignition had some play when I put the key in. Is this a sign of coming trouble. Sounds like allot of issues but this car has only needed one repair in 50K miles. (throttle body $300).

Edited by perfectlap