Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

oil pressure sender interchange

A friend of mine has a 3.4 conversion and his oil light was coming on intermittently, the dealer suggested that it was the oil pressure sender (I told him to check that first) and to DRIVE the car in for service to the tune of a couple C notes.

I told him to just replace the sender as they are cheap @ about $10.00 (986-606-203-03) They had told him it would be part number (996-606-203-02) at a little over $50.00.

Not having the chance to compare the two units myself, my friend told me his has two connectors on it but only one wire connected.

My question: can the 986 boxster unit replace the 996 carrera unit since he has no pressure gauge? OR is there a significant difference in the two units where he HAS to use the 996 unit on the 3.4 engine?

Thanks for any input on this question.

Paul

• Moderators

The senders must interchange. 986 owners who put in a 996 instrument cluster put in a 996 sender in the 986 engine.

The 986 sender has a single wire for the idiot light. The 996 sender has 2 wires, for the idiot light and the gauge. That is why the 3.4 conversion only has 1 wire hooked up.

The senders must interchange. 986 owners who put in a 996 instrument cluster put in a 996 sender in the 986 engine.

The 986 sender has a single wire for the idiot light. The 996 sender has 2 wires, for the idiot light and the gauge. That is why the 3.4 conversion only has 1 wire hooked up.

You say that they "must" interchange. My friend bought the 996 unit, even though he doesn't have the gauges. He had the local parts place order both and in comparison, said that they were different at the base where they threaded in. So do those that add the gauges to the cars that have the 986 single pole sender have to install an adapter for the 996 unit to work? I wish I could have seen both of them together, does anyone have any photos for these items to post. I'm just curious.

Paul

• Moderators

That is news to me.

There are some pictures here. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12805

In the link the 986 owner put in a 996 cluster, but had a dealer put in the 996 sender.

PET does not show any special parts for a 996 vs. 986 sender.

Boxster owners who put in a 996 cluster put in a 996 sender so the oil pressure gauge will work. Since the Boxster only has a single wire for the idiot light, they then run an additional wire from the instrument cluster to the 996 sender for the gauge.

pkust

Is it possible that your friend bought a sender coming from the air coolers ?

At this point, with all of the info that has been supplied, I think my friend just paid five times for a sensor that he could have bought and installed for about $10.00 since he didn't need to have the one for the gauges. He is the type that says " Well, that's what was in there".

Thanks for taking the time to answer these seemingly stupid questions as these are the very same things that I had told him BEFORE he spent the change!

This Forum and you guys have been great! :renntech:

Paul