Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Slow day yesterday

Buffy, I'll leave it up there all summer. It's very safe and it's high enough for me to clear over 6 feet. I'll throw a sheet on it tho.

Brian, it could be a one man operation if the assembly could be set up so it's pretty much over the car. Once you unhook the h'top, it is loose enough to put the straps on the 4 sides. Doing it the first time requires a bit of time to adjust each strap so when you lift, the h'top is fairly level. Once that's done you just ratchet it up or down at will. It's a very simple ratchet with aircraft cable. The instructions suggest that you mount the ratchet on a pole close to the car. We chose to mount the ratchet on the wall and bring the cable across the ceiling. The cab top weighs about 70 lbs so there is not much dead weight on the cable. It's a very secure arrangement. The other method of storage besides the trolly thing is to hang it on a wall. But then you need 2 people to get it over to the car.

Guest Don, I'm jealous...

Your lift looks terrific! :rolleyes: I've been wanting one of those for some time... BUT my stupid garage is too short! Meaning, the top of the garage door (when it's open) sits too deep into the garage. It would hit the lift apparatus. If I scoot the lift way back in the garage, then I can't position the top over the car appropriately.

Does any of this make sense? :rolleyes: Hahaha...

Don't you cover that top when it's on the lift? Over here, we have tons of dust and dirt flying around. I have to sweep out the garage once a week.

Your lift looks terrific! :rolleyes:  I've been wanting one of those for some time... BUT my stupid garage is too short!  Meaning, the top of the garage door (when it's open) sits too deep into the garage.  It would hit the lift apparatus.  If I scoot the lift way back in the garage, then I can't position the top over the car appropriately.

Does any of this make sense? :rolleyes:  Hahaha...

Don't you cover that top when it's on the lift?  Over here, we have tons of dust and dirt flying around.  I have to sweep out the garage once a week.

How the heck did that happen? I posted without logging in! Oh well... :)

I had the same problem with the garage door. Was easy for me to solve tho. I just backed the Cab in and it was far enough so I could hang the pulley so it was over the top.

I have been looking around at these devices. The problem is all the ones I see for a 996 are expensive.

Hundreds of dollars!

I found this: http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProduct...teIndexID=33260

Its for a Miata not a 996 but I am wondering if it will do the same job and its only $80 and comes with the winch.

The company Moss Motors are based in Goleta, CA.

Is anyone handy that way to go check them out?

Don,

$189 bucks is a good deal. Cargraphics are asking double that + tax and shipping. EZtop are asking even more.

I found out that the Miata one is manufactured by IMG. They do a 996 one but it's about $250.

So, I think I will just go for the one u used. Besides it comes recomended :clapping:

So what's their URL?

There's a couple of things that I did differently than the directions. First, in order to get the hoist back far enough I had to back the car in and go from there. Secondly the directions suggest that you put a post close to the side of the car so the cable doesn't travel horizontally too far. I didn't do that. I ran the cable all the way to the wall and just put the pulley on a hook. Altho the cable travels about 12 feet, it's aircraft cable and very strong. Plus I didn't want a post that close to the side of the car. And lastly it takes some fiddling to adjust the 4 straps so that the h'top is level when it's lifted. That initial adjustment takes 2 people. And lastly make sure you mark each of the straps because they'll get mixed up when you remove the h'top and you'll have to make the adjustments all over again. I used F, R, PS, DS. Guess what they stand for?? :D

Thanks for the tips Don. I think I will be doing the exact same install as you.

That is installing the pulley on the wall. My garage is 17th century.

It was originally built for a blacksmith to store a horse cart. So there isn't much room

to play with. However, the apex is very high. Almost the height of the garage

itself. How much cable do they give you? Do you think I will have enough?

DSC00001b.jpg