Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Strange bootup message "Single CD Repair-Kit"

Hi,

I have a 987 3.2s with the full satnav, pcm setup and all the features appear to work fine but everytime I get into the car and fire it up the initial porsche splash screen has an appendage under the logo which says in red "Single CD Repair-Kit" I have attached a picture of it to give you and idea what I mean!

Does anyone have any idea what this can be or why its there and more importantly how to get rid of it ??

Any help / advice is gratefully received.

Thanks

Rob

post-32068-1212708698_thumb.jpg

I believe there is more than one step to updating the PCM. After the first step you are supposed to leave the disc in and when the PCM comes back up you get this message and continue the update. So, I would guess the update on yours was not completed properly.

Edited by dsumners

I can only assume you have either just collected the car from the main agent having had a service , or that you have just purchased the car. The screen you refer to is indeed the result of loading the level B+ or C software to your PCM. I assume from this information that your PCM is post april 2005 and therefore originally supplied with the Mp3 function and a 2005 or later map DVD wirh level B software (software version 3). Sorry to ask an obvious and silly question, but I assume the Update Cd is not still present in the PCM main drive ? Unfortunately there is no way to soft or hard reset the PCM , so I would take the car back to your local agent ( or retailer that sold the car) and request it is fixed. If however you have obtianed this message as the result of trying to do an update yourself , it is unlikely that Porsche will offer any support. The PCM is not covered after the initial 2-3 year factory warranty expires.

Edited by berty987

I can only assume you have either just collected the car from the main agent having had a service , or that you have just purchased the car. The screen you refer to is indeed the result of loading the level B+ or C software to your PCM. I assume from this information that your PCM is post april 2005 and therefore originally supplied with the Mp3 function and a 2005 or later map DVD wirh level B software (software version 3). Sorry to ask an obvious and silly question, but I assume the Update Cd is not still present in the PCM main drive ? Unfortunately there is no way to soft or hard reset the PCM , so I would take the car back to your local agent ( or retailer that sold the car) and request it is fixed. If however you have obtianed this message as the result of trying to do an update yourself , it is unlikely that Porsche will offer any support. The PCM is not covered after the initial 2-3 year factory warranty expires.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your time in replying, I would be extremely grateful of a copy of the disk if that is possible nc35. Can I not just insert it into the unit, and begin the process from scratch again ?.... I am assuming that it is not a crippling issue as all my functionality is still there. Just in case it makes any difference or helps to being clarity here are my sw versions :

PCM : 05473AD1 / 4705

SYS : 04514BD! / 5104

AMP : 00017500 / 3504

Chgr: C38 / 3003

NAV : 00174412 / 4804

TEL : 05034B54 / 0305

Interestingly enough when I look at the versions it shows a tick against the NAV and all the rest have warning triangles ?!?!??!

Thanks again for the help

Rob

Don't know if it will work, but I do have the "Repair Kit CD-Single" Disk

Let me know if I can help :)

Hi, if you have a copy of the disk and maybe a spare blank kicking around I would be very grateful, alternatively if the CD size is really small <20-30 Mb then you could use a program like imgburn [www.imgburn.com] that will turn the cd into an iso which you can then email over.

PCM21_NavDVD

Any help would be really appreciated, I already have the PCM21 update disks (disk labels : NEU, ST10 Motorola and PCM21_NavDVD) but I think I should try and finish this update off before attempting any further ones.

Thanks again

Rob

• Moderators

I think nc35 is a Cayenne owner, the Cayenne PCM is different the software as well, so be careful with this you can destroy the unit and NO warranty. Let it to the dealer.

The two update CD's are for earlier units that were version A and not B. The update that is currently in the unit is way beyond the software thats on the Cd's. Loading a CD that is previous to that already in the unit will not work as the PCM auto detects and will not reload the old software except in the case of the telphone module (disk 2) probably as this is a separate disk. Loading the CD repair disk probably will have no effect since the PCM is already updated. What software level is shown at the top of the PCM sevice menu ?

Certainly you need to be absolutely sure you have the correct software for the PCM since the Cayenne is different from the boxster/ 911/ cayman. The software update Cd costs only a couple of pounds. In this case i'd suggest buying it from Porsche and get the workshop to try installing it . That way if anything goes wrong they would be liable. If you try to update again yourself and there is something amiss then the PCM could be renedered useless. Bear in mind that there is no software/ hardware reset on the unit.

Is your system software really showing an exclamation mark at the end ? This sounds irregular. How did your car come to have an update Cd message , what was the history behind the update ?

I assume your PCM is a genuine factory fit unit on a 2005 or later vehicle ?

• 4 weeks later...

Someone tried to do a service action W610 and didn't complete it. Take it back to the dealer and have them re insert the W610 update cd. I've seen this numerous times.

Edited by PTEC