Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Not Another Jacking Thread

Hi,

I know that there have been plenty of threads on jacking, and I have looked at all of them but I am having a few problems. I am trying to remove my wheels so I can clean them thoroughly, and coat them with some wheel wax.

I started to jack the car up at the alt. jack point a few inches forward of the official rear point. Using these instructions: http://boxsters.addr.com/jacking.htm

I got it up and then lowered it check everything. The crease that you are supposed to use was starting to buckle and bend, luckily I caught it before it got too bad.

So what am I doing wrong?

Then if you look at this thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...922&hl=jack

It mentions using the point just behind the muffler listed as the rainy day jack point in the picture. Is that point safe to use?

My jack can't fit all the way back to the point under the engine.

Thanks!

I circled the part that is bending:

post-18988-1214099975_thumb.jpg

Edited by rick3000

I am sure that the bending isn't damaging anything important, but if I can jack the car with out hurting anything I would prefer too.

When I started to jack it up ignoring the buckling I heard a loud creaking sound. I immediately lowered the car to discover some bending, that was a little worse than I am comfortable with. Perhaps, the hockey puck I just bought will help.

I'm not an engineer but I don't like the hockey puck idea on that sill. This thread offers a good solution for jack and strong jack point placement, which will allow wheel removal or oil changes:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20922

I also put a truck tire underneath like their advice - just a bit bigger!

I am sure that the bending isn't damaging anything important, but if I can jack the car with out hurting anything I would prefer too.

When I started to jack it up ignoring the buckling I heard a loud creaking sound. I immediately lowered the car to discover some bending, that was a little worse than I am comfortable with. Perhaps, the hockey puck I just bought will help.

This is what I was scared of when I wrote the "other jacking post". I missed the jack point on of my old cars while changing a tire in the dark and practically punched a hole in the underside of the body.

I can tell you that I used my jack on the point where the skid plate thing attaches to the engine and suspension right near the drain plug and other than a tad bit of bending to the folded over steel part it seemed to work great. I realize you need a pretty low profile jack to do it and if my car was lowered, it probably wouldn't be possible, but if you got the car up on some blocks of wood first, it should work with most jacks.

Hey rick3000 hope the damage isn't too bad. this is how i jack my car for service - oil change , brakes tire rotation, etc. Using the factory jack points only i start at the left rear but i don't think it should matter which side but rear first! Car is very stable and allows you to insert jack stands and adjust to height that you are comfortable with. Most importantly No Damage! My car is lowered with 18" wheels and side skirts.

DISCLAIMER: this is how i jack my car only! try this at your own risk. JES

Jacking

bbrake_08.jpg

Insert jack stand - i use a short piece of wood to protect aluminum brace

bbrake_09.jpg

once i have the car up i insert a jack stand in the front and let the car down. then i complete the other side. once the car in up on all four jack stands. i then use the factory jack points to adjust to the height i need to service vehicle.

bbrake_11.jpg

Hope this helps. JES

I can't get the jack back far enough to use the point under the engine, so I am going to end up using the side alt. jack points. It seems like plenty have used it without problems. Plus, I think the hockey puck will work nicely as a cushion, know that I have molded it properly.

Jes, thanks for that post. So what you doing is using the factory point, and then putting the jacks on the points labeled PCA B in the picture on the other thread? That's seems like a good way to do it.

So when I was feeling under the lip where this alt. point is, it struck me that once the metals bends, and is flush with the piece underneath it, that point is strong enough to jack the car from. But you have to bend the metal the initial 1/4", which is barely noticeable even when you looking right at it.

Is this assumption correct?

Thanks for all the replies!

Edited by rick3000