Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

EVO QuickFlow Air Intake for 986

Hi guys,

Just came back from a wonderful track weekend at Pocono and my instructor had a K&N 'intake kit' in his 996 with OEM (non-PSE) exhaust. I really loved the sound!

Well...I started doing some research and came across several issues owners have encountered with the K&N kit on 996s. Could not find much on the Boxster - but I gotta admit I am a little tired and was a little sloppy on the search :huh:

I also found an alternative for my Boxster - the EVO QuickFlow Air Intake - which accrodingly to PelicanParts does not cause any CEL to go out...

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the EVO Intake in the 986.

(1) Is it superior to the K&N kit?

(2) Any CELs?

(3) How does it sound?

(4) Any recommendation on where to get it from?

All the best,

Gus

:renntech:

Hi guys,

Just came back from a wonderful track weekend at Pocono and my instructor had a K&N 'intake kit' in his 996 with OEM (non-PSE) exhaust. I really loved the sound!

Well...I started doing some research and came across several issues owners have encountered with the K&N kit on 996s. Could not find much on the Boxster - but I gotta admit I am a little tired and was a little sloppy on the search :huh:

I also found an alternative for my Boxster - the EVO QuickFlow Air Intake - which accrodingly to PelicanParts does not cause any CEL to go out...

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the EVO Intake in the 986.

(1) Is it superior to the K&N kit?

(2) Any CELs?

(3) How does it sound?

(4) Any recommendation on where to get it from?

All the best,

Gus

:renntech:

Have it. Love it. ZERO problems.....other than getting the stock box out of there. (a real biatch..if you don't want to take the intake loose as I didn't). I usually buy this kind of stuff here:

Suncoast Porsche

Edited by Andy_M

Thanks Andy for your feedback!

Had one - sent it back after numerous CELs.

A good BMC air filter works just as well (IMHO).

Hi Loren,

Will I see any improvement in engine sound with the BMC filter as well?

I am looking at this more as an a engine sound improvement MOD, than a performance driven one...Although 8 to 10 hp gain might come as a nice bonus for $380.

All the best,

Gus

Hi guys,

I did some research and apparently there is a newer version of the EVO Intake system, which some people say won't cause the CELs to come out...

Other than buying the system and installing it to see whether I get the CEL or not, is there any other way to confirm whether any problem will arise? Should I contact EVOMS...Anyone heard of this newer version?

The install on a Boxster almost always entails the destruction of the OEM airbox, which seems to be a pain to remove and reinstal anyway. Hence, my being hesitant of giving the system a try.

Thanks.

Gus

Hi guys,

I did some research and apparently there is a newer version of the EVO Intake system, which some people say won't cause the CELs to come out...

Other than buying the system and installing it to see whether I get the CEL or not, is there any other way to confirm whether any problem will arise? Should I contact EVOMS...Anyone heard of this newer version?

The install on a Boxster almost always entails the destruction of the OEM airbox, which seems to be a pain to remove and reinstal anyway. Hence, my being hesitant of giving the system a try.

Thanks.

Gus

FWIW......I do have the newer version...I think that everything out there now is the newer version.....and I have never experienced a CEL. One thing I did do though, is remove some burrs and jaggies before I installed it. May mean absolutely nothing, but there seemed to be a bit more slag and burrs around the joint of the MAF mount tube to the main tube on the inside than I would have expected. I'm kind of a perfectionist about such things, so I took a dremmel and cleaned all these burrs and slag out before I installed it. I didn't want to chance some of it breaking loose after some time and vibration, causing problems. May not exist on most, may have just been mine, I don't know.

There are ways to get the air box out whole. Take the intake loose on that side and move it a bit is the prescribed method. I also read somewhere that loosining the motor mounts and dropping the motor about 3/4" - 1" will allow you to extract the airbox whole without loosening the intake. I was planning on going this route, but in the end I didn't do either. I didn't plan on ever using the stock box again, so I just took a pair of tin snips and cut sections of the airbox away until I could clear everything and remove it. I have never regretted it, nor have I had any trouble at all with the EVO.

Edited by Andy_M