Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cant fuel car?

Forgive me if this has been discussed... but I couldn't find it with a few queries... and it surely isn't a TT-centric issue but alas...

So i drive close to 200m after a fill-up, which I know is pretty consistently my range. About 180m into it, but DTE is saying I have about 30-40 miles to go. I push a bit. The next time I glance down it says I have -- left. Good 'ole 0 miles. It seemed awfully early, because I thought I had been checking frequently.. In any event I was close to a station, so I pulled off and got to a pump; no problem.

That is where the fun began. I fired up the pump and tried to pump gas.. with the engine running.. as I usually do. it backed up right away.. autocutoff on the pump cut in a few times in rapid succession and then some backfill doused my sandaled foot in petrol. I turned the car off based on some off loose hunch about pressure, waited a moment and tried again. Same thing. I tried a few more times.. each time starting a new credit card transaction. I then moved pumps (reaffirming car was running fine)... wore out the credit card (guess 5-6 transactions for $1-$2 looks suspicious) busted out a new card and kept trying. Long story short.. couldn't get a damned bit of gas in there. I tried slowly letting a bit trickly and holding the flap open while it drained in etc.. thought I was getting .2g in there at a time or so, turned on key... DTE=--, gauge same empty... i spent about a half hour thinking i cajored 2-3 gallons in.. maybe.. though the puddle surrounding me begged to differ. I had concluded that something was physically in there, but wanted to get it home to check it out. No luck.

With the gauge firmly on empty I concluded someone had jammed a tampon or such down the filler tube and called a tow truck.

I got it on the flatbed (including the 45 degree incline) and the 50m to the dealership (1am now). When I got back into the car to take if off the ramp, it was at the 45 deg incline again (ok maybe 30.) In any event, I noticed DTE=190m and gauge at 1/4 tank immediately on turning on key. I attributed it to the incline and backed it off... no change in readings.. I drove it a little and stopped/started it.. no change.. said I had some gas...

I left it anyway to get it all checked out and a few other odd items taken care of now that I had made it this far. Porsche is looking at it now; verdict due soon. SO....

WTF? Any clues? What a frustrating situation!

• 1 year later...

FYI.... I apparently never followed up but ran across this old post of mine..

It ended up being a pressure relief valve off the tank. About a $2k job. Easycare covered it, but it took a lot of fighting with them, as porsche's first step was to disconnect the fuel lines/pump from the tank, and that relief of pressure cause the valve flap to fall and they could no longer duplicate the issue. After much fanagling easycare was finally convinced and a new valve was installed...