Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

hi guys

need some help. have a 996c4s here and want to calibrate the fuel level gauge. anyway when plugged in with system 2 tester and go through calibration of empty tank and fill with required amount it simply comes up with error in calibration. any ideas? checked gauge in drive links and ok. checked sender with ohms meter and seems to recognise the lifting of float. dont want to buy sender until sure this is problem? any ideas loren??

thanks. oh the MY IS 2002.

I agree with wvicary, that's the question.

the problem was that the car was sitting and battery flat for months. drove the car and it ran out of fuel. filled the tank but gauge did not read full. only about half way. light came back on after few hundred miles. took sender out and when looked in tank there was about third tank full left in there.

• Moderators

There is no calibration needed when the car ran out of fuel: fill up the tank till full, after a dead battery: fill up the tank till full, and by a fuel pump replacement you got even nothing to do.

Calibration is needed by fuel tank replacement, fuel sender replacement and instrument cluster replacement to be sure. Lift the sender arm and look if the gauge go's up to check the system, take care that the arm can move free while installing the unit ( the arm can get stuck behind the fuel lines easily )

I'm for sure not a pro here, but I wonder if the residue from the gas evaporating in the tank might have gummed up the sender float and contacts.... maybe cleaning the sender with elect contact cleaner would help. New gas might not remove old gas residue. Just a guess.... good luck.

I'm for sure not a pro here, but I wonder if the residue from the gas evaporating in the tank might have gummed up the sender float and contacts.... maybe cleaning the sender with elect contact cleaner would help. New gas might not remove old gas residue. Just a guess.... good luck.

well guys for the record i sorted it. spoke to porsche and although they say use 28 liter(european) they have had times when it needs less for the calibration to be accepted.they suggested using 20 and with system tester 2 connected keep adding a liter at a time a retry the calibration. it worked at 25liters and now everything is cool!!