Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My Wish list- Ultralite cayman-style hard top for 986+

I would love to have an ultralight, no-nonsense fiberglass or aluminum cayman-style hard top for my 986...In the USA

Here is what it would be like:

-Ultra simple (race style) with six components: fiberglass(or aluminum) shell, rubber side-window and clam shell seals, three latches, and a rear window

-No headliner

-No need to remove or alter soft top or trunk

-Easy mount and release using standard-type front latch and clips on bottom to slide under clam shell to secure rear(adjustable rubber straps?)

-Flat vertical glass or plexi rear window

-Rear "fins" that mimic the cayman's lines... sort of like a '77 corvette (so rear trunk operates as usual)

-Maybe even a slightly "chopped" roof line to give a lower, more streamlined profile (perfect cayman specs would be smarter though)

-Primed and ready to paint

Sure, there would be some seams between the "fins" and the body but the overall look would be sweet.

OR .... all of the above except that mimics the Carrera GT Targa top complete with the separate mesh rear bulges.

Somebody make my day and tell me where to buy this bare bones ultra cool idea for $200 (so the manufacturer can make $100 profit!!!)!

-Zebswiss

Edited by zebswiss

Thanks Westscoaster,

Yes, I had seen Zeintech, and about 3 other manufacturers that produce them in Europe... I like Zeintech, nice quality etc. Too expensive and time-consuming to install... and get back to convertible...

-I don't want to remove my trunk

-I don't want it to be fully integrated

-and I don't want it to be a major project just to install or remove.

Race style, simple, ultralight, removable, pop-on, pop-off, one person change over, etc.

I researched the heck out of what's out there prior to my post, But thanks anyway!

Edited by zebswiss

Thanks Westscoaster,

Yes, I had seen Zeintech, and about 3 other manufacturers that produce them in Europe... I like Zeintech, nice quality etc. Too expensive and time-consuming to install... and get back to convertible...

-I don't want to remove my trunk

-I don't want it to be fully integrated

-and I don't want it to be a major project just to install or remove.

Race style, simple, ultralight, removable, pop-on, pop-off, one person change over, etc.

I researched the heck out of what's out there prior to my post, But thanks anyway!

Ahhh, I see what you mean now, kind of wondered why you were specifying such a stripped down design.

I like the Zeintop too, but the reason I bought a Boxster in the first place was because it is a convertible, I didn't buy the Porsche Hardtop for the same reason, ease of removal... with the soft top and the push of the button only 12 seconds later the sun is shining in!

Al

Yeah, I love my convertible too and really don't mind not having hard top...

I just see everyone drooling over Caymans just b/c Porsche designed a nicely shaped... Boxster coupe (and it is nice).

I just think it would be cool to have the looks of a Cayman and the versatility of a of a conv. for way less than half the price on these sweet older boxsters that are already a huge value for the $.

Zeb

PS I bet your 06 is nice, I'm too thrifty (cheap) to buy a newer Boxster...I picked up my 00 with 83k (miles) for $15K spent $450 bucks on: Ebay Headers($150).. LOVE THEM, K&N, 1.25" wheel spacers rear, 1" spacers front, drilled rotors, painted the roll bars to match, hand painted wheel emblems, did the muffler bypass trick (my first welding experience) turned out good but I usually keep the valves closed b/c the K&N w/ the headers sounds awful nice, and finally poly sway bar bushings to make it super flat on the corners... Anyway, I'm rambling. Have a great day.