Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a MY99 996 C2 and would like to add some extra power.

Can you that have experience please comment of results and equipment you use.

Like ECU, Exhausts, Airfilters etc..

It would be nice to get some feedback before you spend a fortune on something that is total waste of money..

So, the best way to get good power without having to sell all you own :rolleyes:

It would be nice to get some feedback before you spend a fortune on something that is total waste of money..

So, the best way to get good power without having to sell all you own :rolleyes:

A note on tuning your engine. Regardless of what you do, whether it is software or exhaust, etc, make sure you verify what the engine parameters are after the mods. Particularly timing and A/F ratio. This can be accomplished by using a scanner and taking a reading of the sensors at various engine loads and speeds. You should also record your warm engine vacuum reading at idle with A/C off.

Unfortunately, many backyard tuners as well as professional tuners, make changes and later find out that their mods make the engine run outside safe parameters. It is always good practice to log the readings of all sensors prior to making any changes at various engine loads and speeds.

Regarding the specific mods mentioned; a more free flowing exhaust will cost you lowend power but may free up engine breathing at or near redline. A freer flowing air filter, assuming it draws air from outside the car, will give you some improvement in throttle response and some more power, but nowhere near the additional power many companies claim. Biggest benefit of an open filter (cone), is the change in engine sound.

As for tuners, this will get you the most power improvement but at a substantial cost. Tuning of an NA engine simply involves timing changes as well as may include modifications to the fuel maps. Bottom line is that most of them result in only moderate increases in power and some obtain the added power from leaning out the engine, which, in most cases is safe for the 996 since the factory program is set to run slightly rich.

Like I said, log the readings of all sensors on your engine BEFORE making any mods.

To make significantly more power, you would need to go with forced induction or chemicals to increase oxygen levels in the cylinders.

A note on tuning your engine. Regardless of what you do, whether it is software or exhaust, etc, make sure you verify what the engine parameters are after the mods. Particularly timing and A/F ratio. This can be accomplished by using a scanner and taking a reading of the sensors at various engine loads and speeds. You should also record your warm engine vacuum reading at idle with A/C off.

Unfortunately, many backyard tuners as well as professional tuners, make changes and later find out that their mods make the engine run outside safe parameters. It is always good practice to log the readings of all sensors prior to making any changes at various engine loads and speeds.

Regarding the specific mods mentioned; a more free flowing exhaust will cost you lowend power but may free up engine breathing at or near redline. A freer flowing air filter, assuming it draws air from outside the car, will give you some improvement in throttle response and some more power, but nowhere near the additional power many companies claim. Biggest benefit of an open filter (cone), is the change in engine sound.

As for tuners, this will get you the most power improvement but at a substantial cost. Tuning of an NA engine simply involves timing changes as well as may include modifications to the fuel maps. Bottom line is that most of them result in only moderate increases in power and some obtain the added power from leaning out the engine, which, in most cases is safe for the 996 since the factory program is set to run slightly rich.

Like I said, log the readings of all sensors on your engine BEFORE making any mods.

To make significantly more power, you would need to go with forced induction or chemicals to increase oxygen levels in the cylinders.

So i can see that tempering with mapping is to risky and to much work..

Is there a risk with just changing the exhaust and mayby the filter??

Thanx everybody for responding..

And yes, i guess that the next one will be the Turbo car, but i just bought this so i think it will be good for a couple of years..

Jan

here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21788

bottomline - if you want a stock 996 keep it stock. It is not bad...but to me it was kind of boring after the initial thrill of owning a 996 wore off....

if you want a 996 that sounds better and has some more power - then by all means add coldair kits, plenums and exhaust

do you want to tune the motor for all of it - add a ECU flash to optimize the mapping/timing -

total cost should net exceed - 3000.00. And if you are a smart buyer you can get it all for less.

then do you want your 996 to handle stock or better? then you are faced with other options - coilovers and swaybars...to me this was a better 1st investment to adding power. Power makes a stock 996 handle even worse IMHO because now you push the car to higher limits and the stock suspension just is not good enough, unless you desire higher amts of body roll. total cost 1900 - 2400.00

then do you like sloppy shifting? Then keep your stock shifter.....otherwise a B&M SSK (short shift kit) or for you Porsche fanatics (the Porsche SSK) will

enhance the driving experience...total cost 199.00 for a B&M

anything over these mods....I do not see the point. Just buy a TT

• Upvote 1