Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm getting horrible banging noises from under the engine during (mostly) idle. At first I though it was the water pump, since the noise was from that area. Took car to dealer and they freaked at some of my mods, but looked at the car without being able to tell me where the noise was coming from. They seemed to suggest it is the TUBI exhaust. I said, I doubt that. Took car home, jacked it up and (after cooling) I banged on the manifolds, mufflers, brackets, and cats. Sure enough, the driver side cat was very noisy (like something broke inside and was moving around).

So I call the dealer back and ask them to check again (service will be tomorrow) because I'm hearing the cats rattling and they are getting worse and worse - been rattling over 3 weeks now.

Has anyone had cats go noisy like mine? What was the root cause? Is it possible to damage the TUBI mufflers from pieces of the cats breaking off and going into them?

Are there any other symptoms (besides rattling) that I should have felt or seen - misfires, hesitations, etc. - before the cats got noisy?

I'm getting horrible banging noises from under the engine during (mostly) idle. At first I though it was the water pump, since the noise was from that area. Took car to dealer and they freaked at some of my mods, but looked at the car without being able to tell me where the noise was coming from. They seemed to suggest it is the TUBI exhaust. I said, I doubt that. Took car home, jacked it up and (after cooling) I banged on the manifolds, mufflers, brackets, and cats. Sure enough, the driver side cat was very noisy (like something broke inside and was moving around).

So I call the dealer back and ask them to check again (service will be tomorrow) because I'm hearing the cats rattling and they are getting worse and worse - been rattling over 3 weeks now.

Has anyone had cats go noisy like mine? What was the root cause? Is it possible to damage the TUBI mufflers from pieces of the cats breaking off and going into them?

Are there any other symptoms (besides rattling) that I should have felt or seen - misfires, hesitations, etc. - before the cats got noisy?

Um update - cats are gone per dealer. Does anyone have a set of stock catalytic converters or sport cats for a 2005 997s they want to sell ASAP???????

I dont have any experience with aftermarket cats, sorry. If you had a better relationship with your dealer they would probably be able to push the cats through under the federal emissions warranty which is 7 years or 70,000 miles or 8/80,000 I believe since you live in CA. I'm not really sure if that will apply to you though since you're so heavily modded. Have you tryed that route through your dealer?

I dont have any experience with aftermarket cats, sorry. If you had a better relationship with your dealer they would probably be able to push the cats through under the federal emissions warranty which is 7 years or 70,000 miles or 8/80,000 I believe since you live in CA. I'm not really sure if that will apply to you though since you're so heavily modded. Have you tryed that route through your dealer?

I tried the dealer but they won't cover them because of the SC, which I knew was a risk. I bought AWE sport cats as replacement and will install them tonight.

I tried the dealer but they won't cover them because of the SC, which I knew was a risk. I bought AWE sport cats as replacement and will install them tonight.

WOW! The angry, snarling beast - when started up in the morning seems to say "why'd you wake me" - is now very pissed off! With AWE sport cats - much louder when on the gas, ok a idle and low rpms. I'm not sure if their is any additional power, but glad I replaced my OEM rattling cats. Anyway, what a great sound these AWE cats have with the TUBI mufflers!!! Took about 2 hours to install after cool down.