Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

help! CEL problem on '04 Cayenne S

so i just bought this '04 Cayenne S last week....! it has been a dream to drive, until yesterday when i backed it out and noticed there was some abnormal vibration while idling and low rpms. I drove it at low rpms for a little while and then the check engine light came on. I drove it right home and then waited until this morning to drive it to AutoZone to get the OBD codes read.

P0011

P0304

These were the two codes that came up, some probably causes were low fuel pressure (and the computer said 50mls to empty), so I filled her up and then as soon as I pulled out, there was significant knocking and throttle blipping. The check engine light started to BLINK and so I immediately pulled over and parked it. What are some probable causes for this? I checked the oil this morning and it looked a little dark, but it was full.

2004 Porsche Cayenne S w/ around 42,000 miles on it.

summation:

-how much is porsche roadside assistance as it needs to be towed to the dealership?

-does anyone on this board change their own oil?

-what are the possible causes for these OBD codes??

thanks in advance, i just hope this all works out. if its a bad engine, it will be a nightmare..:(

• Moderators

Hi

Don't panic, a bad coil is probably the cause of your problem IMHO. Cayenne V8 suffer with bad coils, coils can go bad in different way's, cracks will give bad sparks for example. If the coils inside electrical circuit is short, a fuse will blown, the same fuse controls the fuel injectors on the same cylinder bank as the faulty coil which show a "low fuel pressure" fault, the engine runs on one bank. You can check the fuse in the box under the left wiper area, two fuses 1 for bank L and 1 for bank R ( check the manual ). Check this first!! Oil change instructions are available, do a search. Hope it helps.

I took it into a shop and they said the OBD codes say I need coils and fuel injectors for cylinders 1-4 to be replaced. I was given a ball park for estimates because the Porsche dealership is closed for parts today.

$1000 for the 4 injectors and 4 coils

$500 for 6-7 hours of labor at $70-$80.

This is NOT a dealership, but just a BMW/Porsche repair shop. Should I go to the dealership for this type of engine repair or is this something that is pretty frequent? Is there anything I could have done to have prevented this problem? Thanks for your reply.

Hi

Don't panic, a bad coil is probably the cause of your problem IMHO. Cayenne V8 suffer with bad coils, coils can go bad in different way's, cracks will give bad sparks for example. If the coils inside electrical circuit is short, a fuse will blown, the same fuse controls the fuel injectors on the same cylinder bank as the faulty coil which show a "low fuel pressure" fault, the engine runs on one bank. You can check the fuse in the box under the left wiper area, two fuses 1 for bank L and 1 for bank R ( check the manual ). Check this first!! Oil change instructions are available, do a search. Hope it helps.

Coils yes, injectors VERY unlikely, do coils only to start with.

Coils are $12 each and take about 2 hours DIY time to change all 8

I took it into a shop and they said the OBD codes say I need coils and fuel injectors for cylinders 1-4 to be replaced. I was given a ball park for estimates because the Porsche dealership is closed for parts today.

This is NOT a dealership, but just a BMW/Porsche repair shop. Should I go to the dealership for this type of engine repair or is this something that is pretty frequent? Is there anything I could have done to have prevented this problem? Thanks for your reply.

Hi

Should I get it towed to a dealer instead of letting a non dealer mechanic fix this? I can not thank you guys enough for your prompt help. This has been weighing on me since I just bought it. But thanks again guys..I really hope it is just the coils. That would not be much of an issue at all.

Hi

Anyone can do the coils, search for diy instructions and give to mechanic. either here or on rennlist

Should I get it towed to a dealer instead of letting a non dealer mechanic fix this? I can not thank you guys enough for your prompt help. This has been weighing on me since I just bought it. But thanks again guys..I really hope it is just the coils. That would not be much of an issue at all.

Hi

Unbelievable...I called the dealership to see how much it would cost if they did this change. Turns out, the car has ONE WEEK of warranty left! I am going to get an oil change while it is there and they look at the ignition coils, plugs and catalytic converter. If there is anything else I could ask the dealer to do in my last week of warranty, PLEASE let me know so I can get that looked at. I want to thank everyone for their help..this board has been great for helping me with this issue.

Drive Shaft (carden)

Rear Tailgate Struts(tell him they some times drop on your head)

Rear Glass struts (tell him they some times drop on your head)

Wipers not working right, shuddering

clunk under the floor when accelerating then braking

There is more, let me think

Unbelievable...I called the dealership to see how much it would cost if they did this change. Turns out, the car has ONE WEEK of warranty left! I am going to get an oil change while it is there and they look at the ignition coils, plugs and catalytic converter. If there is anything else I could ask the dealer to do in my last week of warranty, PLEASE let me know so I can get that looked at. I want to thank everyone for their help..this board has been great for helping me with this issue.
Edited by mudman2

Tell them everynow and then the PCM wont turn on or it wont play sound. Who knows you might walk out of there with a whole new sound system! Definitely complain about the rear hatch and rear glass not staying up. Clunk when braking is good (control arm bushings and free alignment!) Check the rear washer nozzle and make sure its not clogged. Hell maybe even say you've noticed coolant under the engine and you may end up with free coolant pipes! Of course this is all dependent on how slow your local service department is... If there really is no problems they might tell you they found nothing.

Edited by PTEC

thanks Brad the cooling pipes were the ones I forgot hahaha

Tell them everynow and then the PCM wont turn on or it wont play sound. Who knows you might walk out of there with a whole new sound system! Definitely complain about the rear hatch and rear glass not staying up. Clunk when braking is good (control arm bushings and free alignment!) Check the rear washer nozzle and make sure its not clogged. Hell maybe even say you've noticed coolant under the engine and you may end up with free coolant pipes! Of course this is all dependent on how slow your local service department is... If there really is no problems they might tell you they found nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
Drive Shaft (carden)

...Wipers not working right, shuddering...

Any known dealer/owner fix? My 2004 V6's wipers continue to bug me by doing this, I've tried OEM and another brand of blades, but it still is annoying as hell. I'm out of warranty now but reported it 2-3 times as well as posted queries here in the past.

The blade carrier needs to be twisted, the dealer has a tool to do this.

Drive Shaft (carden)

...Wipers not working right, shuddering...

Any known dealer/owner fix? My 2004 V6's wipers continue to bug me by doing this, I've tried OEM and another brand of blades, but it still is annoying as hell. I'm out of warranty now but reported it 2-3 times as well as posted queries here in the past.