Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front end noise! Need Help

Hello everyone, I need help. The last couple of days I have noticed on my 996 targa when I make both left and right hand turns while giving it a little gas through the turns , I get a weird grinding/rumbling sound coming from the front end of the car. I also get some slight vibration from the gas pedal but very light. I have checked the front brakes , suspension and did a visible check for any loose bolts or damage and was unable to find where or what may be causing this noise. I even checked the power steering fluid, it was fine. Also some times just driving on the streets and just going straight at 35-50mph I will get a very loud metal grinding sound that feels like a piece of metal is rubbing up againg the rotor or something. Do not know what could be the problem? Any ideas as to where else I can check would be great.

C2 or C4? Year and Miles? Maybe front bearings need help. Also see if your rotors have developed a "lip" on the outer diameter.

And the siimplest, but happens, check the lug nuts. It may sound silly, but I have seen it happen in a friend of mine's 986, loose wheel bolts.

Hello everyone, I need help. The last couple of days I have noticed on my 996 targa when I make both left and right hand turns while giving it a little gas through the turns , I get a weird grinding/rumbling sound coming from the front end of the car. I also get some slight vibration from the gas pedal but very light. I have checked the front brakes , suspension and did a visible check for any loose bolts or damage and was unable to find where or what may be causing this noise. I even checked the power steering fluid, it was fine. Also some times just driving on the streets and just going straight at 35-50mph I will get a very loud metal grinding sound that feels like a piece of metal is rubbing up againg the rotor or something. Do not know what could be the problem? Any ideas as to where else I can check would be great.

2002 996 Targa 80K miles rwd. its not the wheel bolts, the sound is coming from the middle of the car where the fuel tank is. You can sit down and shake the front of the car and hear rattles like metal balls moving around. Im not familar with front end so have no idea where it is coming form. If it is the wheel bearings how can i check if they need to be replaced? Or could worn suspension cause this problem? Thanks

2002 996 Targa 80K miles rwd. its not the wheel bolts, the sound is coming from the middle of the car where the fuel tank is. You can sit down and shake the front of the car and hear rattles like metal balls moving around. Im not familar with front end so have no idea where it is coming form. If it is the wheel bearings how can i check if they need to be replaced? Or could worn suspension cause this problem? Thanks

Check your drop links.

If you have 19" wheels are the fender arches bent in. They should be else the wheel will rub.

Jack the car up, grap a wheel with both hands and turn it right to left. Do yo feel any play or clunking?

While the car is jacked up, turn the wheel full lock and rotate the wheel. See if you can hear/see where the problem is.

• Moderators

The rattling you hear while shaking the car at standstill are fill-up balls in the fuel tank, to compensate the volume of fuel ( example: tank is 60.20 L - declared volume: 60.00L - the tank receive 0.20 L in volume as balls - result: volume 60.00L fuel ) In normal driving condition you cant hear the balls rattling, do a search elsewhere on the car.

Have you bounced the front of the car to see if you can replicate the sound? Or try turning the steering wheel back and forth after jacking up the front end of the car. This would eliminate several common front end problems as being the culprit.

• 3 months later...
The rattling you hear while shaking the car at standstill are fill-up balls in the fuel tank, to compensate the volume of fuel ( example: tank is 60.20 L - declared volume: 60.00L - the tank receive 0.20 L in volume as balls - result: volume 60.00L fuel ) In normal driving condition you cant hear the balls rattling, do a search elsewhere on the car.

jacked up the car and turned the wheel , didi not here an noise, checke pressure, wheel nuts. I only get this noise from the front when turning and giving it gas!!! But if I make turns left and right hand turns and do not give it gas then it does not make the noise. So when driving The more I give it gas when turning the LOUDER the noise gets. The sound coming from the front sounds like a mixture of grinding and rumbling where sometime you can kinda feel it from the steering wheel and gas pedal. I have heard some people on the board say it could be front wheel bearings, but how can I check for that and what else cold it be? Thanks everyone!