Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster Plugs

Hi all, just had a look at my spark pluge to see if they need changing. Currently fitted are Beru Ultra R6 940. I was wondering if these are likely to be the original plugs. The car is a 2000 2.7 tip with 50k. Not used to multi electrode plugs I found it difficult to tell if they were worn or not. Seemed to have quite a large gap but electrodes not rounded. could these be original?

• Moderators

Look at the info above the washer. 2000 with Beru should be 14 FGR 6 KQU. It has 4 side electrodes.

How often to change. This is the funny part. 1997-1999 2.5L used a 2 side electrode plug, and Porsche said to change at 30,000 miles. When the 2.7 and 3.2 came out in 2000 Porsche switched to the 4 side electrode plug, and said to change them at 30,000 miles.

Then for 2001 Porsche said to change them at 60,000 miles. The 2000 and 2001 engines are the same, as is the plug. I have asked mechanics if there is a reason for a 2000 to be 30,000 miles and a 2001 to be 60,000 miles, and no one knows why. 2000 is the funny year. 2001-2004 is 60,000 miles.

Then for the UK market Porsche cuts the 60,000 down to 48,000 or something like that. I forget what the 30,000 is cut down to for the UK market. I think 24,000 miles.

When I bought my 2001 Boxster, the dealer recommended changing spark plugs at the 30K mile service, even though for the 01 model year Porsche upped the spark plug replacement interval to 60K miles. Now the maintenance interval on Porsche's web site for the 2001 model says to change the spark plugs every 48K miles for the 2001 to 2004 models. Go to http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...nanceintervals/ and then click on the Download PDF link to get Porsche's current recommendations.

It's interesting that Porsche is now quoting a 12K mile oil change interval, whereas when I got the car the official word was every 15K miles. For some reason, they don't seem to publicize this anywhere!

The fuel filter now has a 48K mile life, which I missed, so I guess I'll just wait a few more miles and have it done as part of the 60K mile service as originally planned.

Thanks guys, I was looking at the ceramic part and obviously didn't pick up all the plug spec just the R6, definately got 4 electrodes though. Anyone care to speculate on whether these are likely to be the original plugs.

Edited by timbo