Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY for 3 dash strip removal?

I am going to replace my 3 sash strips and am looking for DIY help. Anybody replace theirs? Have a .pdf or web page layout of how to do it? I have a MY00 if that makes any differnce.

Thanks in advance!

Dell

Thanks Loren for the link....for some reason I didn't see that thread.

But.........

OH MY GOD!!! Why would they make this so difficult? This is a good fix (work around) but what happens when you want to change out the more expensive strips (say go from Carbon to Alum or vice versa). Holy cow that can get expensive. I dont understand the logic on that one.

I guess taking the dash off just to get the strips is a complete waste of time and probably a huge mess?

• Moderators

Those 3 plastic trim pieces are held in place with about 10 torx screws. The problem is that there is no easy way to get to all the screws without removing the entire dash. So you end up having to pry the trim pieces out.

We have done it on 2 Boxsters. If you remove the steering wheel and all the plastic trim around the column then you can get to the screws with a torx bit for the 2 small pieces and remove the trim without any damage. If you had a glove box then you can get to the screws for long piece by removing the box and reaching behind the dash and remove the trim without any damage. No box - then you have to pull on the trim until the screws pull out. They are very small screws.

It is not as bad as it sounds.

Thanks for the insight. I have a feeling it will take a a few days of working up the mental prep to tear apart the pieces. I just hate the thought of "tearing" apart pieces to change them out on a car that so far has been relatively easy with repect to all the DIY stuff I have done (and it has been alot....no thanks to this board! :) )

I have done 2 others since mine, and found a easier way to do it..

If you take the new strips and line them up with the ones in the dash,

you can see exactly where the screws are. Then take a small drill bit and drill

the holes out until you reach the tip of the screw. Then take a larger drill bit out

make a bigger hole. One this is done you can pry the hole thing out with a flat head

screwdriver. Once I got the first one out the rest just popped out by pulling.

Also if you like to switch back and fourth from Carbon to Aluminum thats not a problem cause your not screwing the new ones in, just a little glue to hold them, its a tight fit as it is. I'll post pics later.. rennlist gallery is down again :(

• 2 weeks later...