Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replaceing the top with glass window

Hi, I am a newbie here. first I'd like to say hi to everyone; this site has provided tremendous useful info on Boxsters.

I have a 2001 Boxster S. Recently the top has a lot of rattling and squealing noises. Even driving on smooth roads with only minor imperfections I can hear the top shaking and squealing. Seems like the noises are coming from the area where the windows meet the top in aft section and from the left and right outboard areas of the aft bow. I have used rubber seal condtitioner but no help. The only time the top stop making noise is when driving on repaved freeway with black top.

I've done a lot of research on the internet and I discover this site and I know I've found the right place. I spend a good amount reading the the posts here regarding the convertible top issues and they are very informational and valuable and I plan to change my original top to one with glass window.

After reading the posts on this site, there are 2 manufactures for the glass window convertible top here in the states, they are Robbins and GAHH.

Does anyone know what are the differences as far as quality and durability? Types of material? Which one fits better? I have contacted one of the vendor and they recommends Robbins because the cables from GAHH's top has issues of going outboard of the aft bow during opening and closing of the top.

Also, besides leaving the top down, does anyone know how to get rid of the squealing noise? It has become intolerable and take the fun out of driving the car. Since I plan to replace the top, is there anything I can do to fix the noise?

One last question, when replacing the top, the existing liner is to be reused. I looked at the liner in my car and it appears to be permanently attached to the aft bow, is there a way to remove the liner without causing damage?

Sorry for the long post, looking forward to hearing from you experts.

Edited by Eric. M

I'm a newbie here as well. have a 2002 boxster, that was garage parked and babied for a few years, until i moved to a house with no garage parking, so it's been parked outside for the past 3 years. as a result, the rear window is extremely discolored and cracked (it makes this beautiful car GHETTO, lol). i need to get it replaced, and i didn't realize there were glass window options that were reasonably priced. I've seen on ebay the robbins top go for $480 and $760 buy it now prices for new tops. that price spread seems a bit much. let me know which top you choose and how it works for you. thanks.

I'm a newbie here as well. have a 2002 boxster, that was garage parked and babied for a few years, until i moved to a house with no garage parking, so it's been parked outside for the past 3 years. as a result, the rear window is extremely discolored and cracked (it makes this beautiful car GHETTO, lol). i need to get it replaced, and i didn't realize there were glass window options that were reasonably priced. I've seen on ebay the robbins top go for $480 and $760 buy it now prices for new tops. that price spread seems a bit much. let me know which top you choose and how it works for you. thanks.

The first glass window top is developed back in 2005 by BAS, a british company, later it's also caught on by GAHH and then Robbins. Do a search here and there are pictures of the tops. Still don't know which manufacture make better tops. I Plan to do more research in the future by asking some convertibles top shop for their input. For my area the installation cost is reasonable, it varries between $550-750. However I still want It do it myself, it will be a good project for a cuople of weekends.

However I still want It do it myself, it will be a good project for a cuople of weekends.

Eric:

If you want to DIY the replacement of the convertible top yourself, be sure to check out the excellent instructions on Mike Focke's Boxster Pages, here:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

It even has a separate section with notes on a Robbins Top installation.

If you are fairly handy, can pay attention to detail, and not cut corners, a first time installation should take you about 8 hours.

Be sure to get all of the small parts that must be replaced beforehand so that you don't get stuck halfway into the project.

If you need any additional photos or any of the steps are not clear, post here and I'll see what I can dig up.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice for your advice. Before I started posting here I have printed out Focke's R+R instructions and have read it 2 times. But no info on removing the liner. Guess pre-MY2000's Boxsters' top didn't include a liner. I'm leaning toward getting Robbins top. The vendor says removal and installation instruction is included.

Eric,

you do not have to disassemble the liner. I exchanged the top on my 01 Boxster S with the liner on the car, and it never hurt me during installation process.

Chris

Thanks Chris for your post. May I ask a few questions? Was the liner left on the car all the time? Even when the canvas top is removed?

Did you have the rear speakers installed in the storage cubby behind the seats? If yes did you have to remove it?

Thanks

Edited by Eric. M

Eric,

the headliner was on the car all the time. No problem with that.

I have the rear speakers and did remove them and the storage box. O do not know if that is really necessary. But after the installation I did some leakage tests. And without the storage box it was much easier to check for leaks on the rear part of the top from the inside.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting the Robbins top next week to replace a vandalism damaged top for my 2002 S. I will post pics after the install. FYI accessing the engine requires a service support strap with the heavy glass window. A new strap is supposed to come with mine. Also, a defroster cable is also to be included. Labor (9 hours) and materials, including re using my headliner...about $1900. :P

post-33060-1227281168_thumb.jpg

Hi .. I just registered myself today at this forum since I got involved in a problem. By the way I have a very well maintained 1997 manual Boxster (done only 58k kms !).

I had ordered a top from ebay which actually provides us compatible tops for mere 300 to 600 US $ .. I opted for the 400 US $ model which when received here in the Middle East seems to be 1.5cms short !

The product is really find but it seems to be shorter ! The one which we took off is 137.5cms and the one which I received by post is 136cms !

Can any one confirm the original size ? Otherwise the product is really value for the money paid !

Hi .. I just registered myself today at this forum since I got involved in a problem. By the way I have a very well maintained 1997 manual Boxster (done only 58k kms !).

I had ordered a top from ebay which actually provides us compatible tops for mere 300 to 600 US $ .. I opted for the 400 US $ model which when received here in the Middle East seems to be 1.5cms short !

The product is really find but it seems to be shorter ! The one which we took off is 137.5cms and the one which I received by post is 136cms !

Can any one confirm the original size ? Otherwise the product is really value for the money paid !

Which dimension are you referring to?

Is the "old" top the factory one that has been on the car for 11 years or has it been on for a shorter period of time as a replacement?

Have you considered the possibility that the "old" top has strecthed due to the exposure to the elements and the pulling force of the frame assembly when the top is closed?

Consider that when you install a new top, it is sometimes VERY difficult to close it completely at first and that it stretches after being in the closed position and exposed to the sun for a few days. At that point and subsequently, it takes considerably less effort to close it.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Have you considered the possibility that the "old" top has strecthed due to the exposure to the elements and the pulling force of the frame assembly when the top is closed?

Consider that when you install a new top, it is sometimes VERY difficult to close it completely at first and that it stretches after being in the closed position and exposed to the sun for a few days. At that point and subsequently, it takes considerably less effort to close it.

Regards, Maurice.

Bonjour Maurice .. Yes you are correct .. I contacted the supplier who confirmed exactly the point.

Yes I had an original one and the only problem with it was the rear plastic which I had got replaced manually locally some couple of years back and the finishing was very bad. Plus once again I had problems with the replaced plastic, by virtue of which I bought a complete new cover from ebay which happened to be 1.5cm shorter than the used one.

You have rightly mentioned that it will stretch and after a while become easily operatable ... Hence, I am presently in the process of getting it installed.

Thanks for your input.

Mustafa.

Bonjour Maurice .. Yes you are correct .. I contacted the supplier who confirmed exactly the point.

Yes I had an original one and the only problem with it was the rear plastic which I had got replaced manually locally some couple of years back and the finishing was very bad. Plus once again I had problems with the replaced plastic, by virtue of which I bought a complete new cover from ebay which happened to be 1.5cm shorter than the used one.

You have rightly mentioned that it will stretch and after a while become easily operatable ... Hence, I am presently in the process of getting it installed.

Thanks for your input.

Mustafa.

Mustafa:

Bonjour.

Let us know how you make out, along with any details you can share regarding your top installation.

A la prochaine fois!

Regards, Maurice.

OK; I got my car back with the new Robbins top and it looks great :lol: (I know , pictures...they are coming.).

The installer steamed my top to remove minor wrinkles (I watched him do this) and told me to leave it up for a month and bring it back for a re-steam job. For now it creeks a little and you can bounce a dime on it. I was cautioned not to use the top for that first month if I want it to last. Seems he may be overly cautious, but, it is cold here in Southwestern Washington State and most of the time the top will be 30-45 degrees F for the foreseeable future. I am in no hurry to use this top this time of year. The first day I drove it to work it rained like hell and can report no top leaks or door glass leaks either. Something I can't say about the MB SLK I just sold!

I was given a cable to plug in the rear defogger/defroster, but still can't find where to plug it into the harness. Any help here will me most helpful guys. Thanks!

OK; I got my car back with the new Robbins top and it looks great :lol: (I know , pictures...they are coming.).

The installer steamed my top to remove minor wrinkles (I watched him do this) and told me to leave it up for a month and bring it back for a re-steam job. For now it creeks a little and you can bounce a dime on it. I was cautioned not to use the top for that first month if I want it to last. Seems he may be overly cautious, but, it is cold here in Southwestern Washington State and most of the time the top will be 30-45 degrees F for the foreseeable future. I am in no hurry to use this top this time of year. The first day I drove it to work it rained like hell and can report no top leaks or door glass leaks either. Something I can't say about the MB SLK I just sold!

I was given a cable to plug in the rear defogger/defroster, but still can't find where to plug it into the harness. Any help here will me most helpful guys. Thanks!

Drew:

Here is where it plugs in (just pull up the little cover):

post-6627-1228105358_thumb.jpg

Regards, Maurice.

I NEVER use steam on these tops. He should take the top apart and re stretch it.!!!!!!!!

I get your point and thanks for the concern. :clapping:

The top fit perfectly and was without any puckers or mis-shaped areas or wrinkles. The installer has been doing this for thirty years. That's why HE was selected. He was steaming it to warm it up since it was 40 when I took it home. He stated that steam would even out the tension so the top could relax a bit before I stressed it by driving the car. Maybe mumbo-jumbo, but so far it looks as a new top should. I know, pics...

Drew:

Here is where it plugs in (just pull up the little cover):

post-6627-1228105358_thumb.jpg

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for the photo Maurice! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I kind of like the smaller rear picture. It "fits" the rear view mirror better and I get MUCH LESS headlight glare at night from those following me. The car is darker in side all the time. With a black on black color combo, the car is dark inside anyway.

With two side mirrors and my experience riding motorcycles, I stay very aware of my side traffic, so blind spots really are not a problem.

The car looks like someone stuck a speedster top on it, which is cool with me. It is about two thirds the size of the original plastic OEM window. Which I say...good riddance!

I purchased the Stayfast cloth material for my 2002 rather than the more expensive version Robbins offers... example: Haartz® GmbH German Cloth Toppings Sonnenland® A5 and A5S (Singed) German Cloth. Which is finished on both sides.

This was because the inside look of the cloth was unimportant since I have a headliner, unlike the earlier models. The exterior looks OEM (or darn close), and sheds water like a duck.

A car stereo store owner in town has an 2003 S, black, with a grey top. When the weather is nice I plan to get picks of our cars side by side for comparison. (FYI, I'll pick his brain about getting good bass in the car as well when he gets his car set up the way he likes it). I told him about Renntech.org. He may already have joined.