Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

keep the tweeters

I just upgraded the front speakers in my '02 boxster s to Polk Audio. I'm all finished but am unsure if I should keep the original tweeters? I listened to it and it sounds okay at low levels but it's pretty blaring at higher levels. I just wanted to make sure that I should not use them before I rip them out. It looked like the tweeters were removed on Andy M's post but I couldn't tell for sure.

Thanks,

Ryan

I pulled the stock ones out and it sounds much better. The angle is different and I can tell but it does sound better quality-wise.

I am in Palm Springs, CA area.

Did you upgrade the doors as well? That's my next step. Need to get speakers and then the hardest part is blocking out some time to do it. I love doing that type of stuff but my 4 year old and 1 year old keep me pretty busy.

I just did the same thing...did you use the 401s? I ripped out the stock tweeters. I really like the Polks

Gary

BTW...where in SoCal are you. I'm in Orange.

I pulled the stock ones out and it sounds much better. The angle is different and I can tell but it does sound better quality-wise.

I am in Palm Springs, CA area.

Did you upgrade the doors as well? That's my next step. Need to get speakers and then the hardest part is blocking out some time to do it. I love doing that type of stuff but my 4 year old and 1 year old keep me pretty busy.

I just did the same thing...did you use the 401s? I ripped out the stock tweeters. I really like the Polks

Gary

BTW...where in SoCal are you. I'm in Orange.

I did do the doors too...that took a whole day. I had to build baffles for them as I went to 6.5 from the stock 5.25. I found great instructions and even a template to make the baffles which worked great. They sound like sub woofer with all the mid and high coming from the dash speakers. I have the rear set but I took them out because they didn't make too much difference with the stock head unit. CDs sound fantastic but the radio is not that good.

Gary

Gary

Was the baffle template you used this one (but a # of pages)?

3009061060_c267828080.jpg

If so, I'm glad it worked well for you. Ironically, I made it about 2 years ago almost to the day. I know it's been downloaded many times but you're only the second person I've heard who used it. The first person had some trouble w/ the scaling when they printed it.

As you now know, it's a very worthwhile upgrade putting 6.5" or 6.75" drivers in the door. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably drop in 6x9s (they will fit). Amazing the spectrum you can now here, huh?

I'm always surprised more people haven't done this mod yet.

Regards :)

Cassiebox,

I did the front speakers and am getting ready to do the doors as soon as I can find a weekend free. you think the 6x9s will work? What would you recommend as far as a manufacture or model?

Would I just center the speaker on the template and widen the hole for the speaker on the template?

Thanks,

Ryan

I just upgraded the front speakers in my '02 boxster s to Polk Audio. I'm all finished but am unsure if I should keep the original tweeters? I listened to it and it sounds okay at low levels but it's pretty blaring at higher levels. I just wanted to make sure that I should not use them before I rip them out. It looked like the tweeters were removed on Andy M's post but I couldn't tell for sure.

Thanks,

Ryan

Yep, I took them out. The Polks are coaxials and have their own tweeter. BTW...good choice, I love the Polks. I now have Polks in the entire car, dash,doors, and rear shelf.

Cassiebox,

I did the front speakers and am getting ready to do the doors as soon as I can find a weekend free. you think the 6x9s will work? What would you recommend as far as a manufacture or model?

Would I just center the speaker on the template and widen the hole for the speaker on the template?

Thanks,

Ryan

My $ .02 for what it's worth......Stay with Polks.......You might be able to get 6x9's (Polk db691's or MM691's) in there, but check it out good first. The stock speaker cover in the door panel is round not oval and I'm not sure how easy it would be to replace the stock one with an oval one and have things fit well enough to look "stock" (assuming that matters to you).

I'd put Polk db601's in there (501's if you want to use the stock tuned mounts) OR if your driving them off a sub out, you might want to consider a set of Kicker 08CVT654 - Kicker 6.5" 150W 4-Ohm Shallow-Mount Subwoofers.

Then, I'd put db301's in the PNP kit if you bought it.

Then, if you didn't go with the Kicker 08CVT654's and want some more bottom, take a look at putting a Kenwood KSC-SW10 powered subwoofer in the passenger footwell.

:thumbup:

Edited by Andy_M

Cassiebox,

Thanks,

Ryan

Speakers are really a personal choice so I leave it up to you but if you have the factory amp, you'll want something with specs to maximize. At least: RMS 2-40W or higher, 2 ohm, sensitivity of 92dB+. and range below 50Hz at a min (shoot for 35 and below). With 6x9's on the table you will be able to find speakers easily at 40Hz. I have 6.75" rated at 45Hz and there is a very nice amount of bass. Not enough to set off car alarms mind you but plenty for me.

My grilles are oval, not quite as oval as 6x9's but oval none the less. 6x9s will work, you could also use 6x8s. I'm not sure what you mean by centering them but more or less yes. Vertically center the speaker where they are located on the template (you can hedge down a bit). Horizontally, no. Just match up the leading (hinge side of door) edges of template and new speaker.

Good luck :)