Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi everyone. My local OPC just called mid way through my 48k service which is already a double ouch due to their normal friendly prices and a nearly new rear tyre with a nail in it! They told me that I need pads all round at the generous cost of £700 - yes almost $1300 at today's exchange rate.

I am going to have a go at DIY - but the last pads I changed were in 1985 on my MK4 Cortina. I guess the principles are similar......help needed.....first up is what bits do I really need.

The optional bits seem to include Wear Sensors, Vibration Dampers and new pins/springs/securing clips.....

Then there are the pads...any recommendations?

Final thing is jacking up the car - any hints?

Many thanks

John

Its a piece of cake, do it yourself. i done it loads of times with no probs.

You probably don't need any other parts other than the pads, unless the ones on your car are totally shot and you've worn down the brake sensors.

Word of caution when removing the brake sensor from you old pads, be very careful not to snap off the small plastic clips that hold it in place, or you will need to replace them

enjoy,

SP

John, the Prof is correct, brake pad replacement on the 9x6 is easy if you mechanically cable enough of removing the wheel. I have a detailed set of information at the link below. It's oriented to the 986, but the differences in the 996 in this case are solely in the part numbers, and perhaps related to what kind of vibration dampers are used. So if you get the right pads, the rest of the info should be accurate for you.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

I just did it myself for the first time. It's really easy. The only tricky part is getting those pad sensors off without using too much force. And you might want a putty knife to help slide the pads off the noise suppressors especially in the rear.

Hi,

by far the cheapest place in the UK to get brake pads seems to be europarts. Their web address is www.eurocarparts.com . If you go to corporate->banch locations, you can find your nearest dealer.

They'll offer you Textar or Porsche genuine. Get Textar, they are much cheaper and identical. I've actually taken them out of their boxes and compared them. I paid 69 quid for 4 front pads.

Cheers,

Uwe

NB: Your new pads might actually look slightly different from the old once, as they now have funny little weights (vibration dampers) attached to them.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I am going to get Textar Pads and new vibration dampers - otherwise will risk not getting sensors - I guess I can always add them back on later if I screw any up getting them out.

Any further tips about cleaning/using ant-squeal paste etc etc very gratefully received. I think I will do a digital camera job on the work so as to share with any other budding DIY'ers.

Final tips required on jacking up the car.

Thanks to everyone - next weekend is the one!!!

hey John,

you could try pads from Mintex, the same house as Textar but cheaper due to Textar is the main aftermarket for Porsche.

and for the damper, you don't need to renew them, I didn't :clapping: and squick from the disc nor the pads :thumbup:

cheers,

//T

Thanks to everyone. Did the brakes yesterday in 2.5 hours for all four wheels. Had a small problem for 5-10 minutes with one of the vibration pads on the backs - but got it free with a bit of perseverance. What a rip off from Porsche 1.4 hours per wheel. A right con!!

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.