Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

It's NOT a 'Sport' button!

Imagine my dismay at discovering that the little button with the Koni shock icon is not a Sport button! I guess my perceptions of a quicker throttle response and snappier exhaust were all in my head! Good thing my C2S seems just as sporty and noisy without one! Does the true Sport button only come with the "Sport Chrono" option? I AM thankful however, that the PASM on the "Morgan +4" setting IS there when all that oomph and torque comes on line out of a corner! Forgive me: I'm just a newbie.

• Moderators

Sport chrono + have two buttons, one with the shock icon= controls only PASM and one with sport inscription which overrules PASM button, throttle control via DME, brakes and a lot more.

Sport chrono + have two buttons, one with the shock icon= controls only PASM and one with sport inscription which overrules PASM button, throttle control via DME, brakes and a lot more.

Yeah, after reading all that mouth watering stuff in the manual about what that button does, I ran to look inside my car and alas, no Sport button. Drat. Still love that little green monster though.

Sport Chrono simply adds the "Sport" button which re-maps the throttle and stiffens the PASM. I'm not aware of it doing anything with brakes. It is the least used option I have, as I find the re-mapped throttle somewhat useless (and problematic in autocross applications). And the chrono thing is so complicated I have no interest in trying to use it. In my opinion, you're not missing anything by not having the "sport" button.

. . . It also some how makes the motor

louder. This is real good at the track. Not sure

if you need it around town.

Paul

I read/heard somewhere, that the Sport setting also bypasses a coupla baffles in the muffler, or maybe it's on the intake side.

• Admin

From the Porsche Technik Book:

"Effects of the Sport Chrono function on the Motronic

The optionally available Sport Chrono Package notably increases driving pleasure and the vehicle’s performance. The engine is also affected when the Sport Chrono button is activated.

The following features are initiated:

More sporty load cycle behaviour

When the Sport Chrono function is selected, the transfers between acceleration and deceleration become sportier. This means that injection and ignition are switched on and off more directly when accelerating and particularly when decelerating, resulting in a more spontaneous and dynamic load cycle.

More abrupt engine speed cut-off

To increase driving comfort a ’gentle’ cut-off is generally used when accelerating and reaching the engine speed cut-off setting. In the process the throttle is continuously closed when approaching the limit range for speed. The Sport Chrono function facilitates additional acceleration potential through the use of an abrupt engine speed cut-off by switching off individual cylinders (injection and ignition) in a rotating fashion just shortly before the engine speed limit. The perceptible limit of acceleration lets the driver know if an upshift is executed too late. This allows the driver to learn how to identify the optimum shift point with more accuracy and to take fuller advantage of the engine’s potential for acceleration.

When the Sport Chrono button is pressed, the abrupt cut-off is active in 1st to 5th gears for the manual gearbox (without Sport Chrono function only in 1st and 2nd gears) and in the manual gate “M” for Tiptronic transmission.

More dynamic accelerator pedal characteristic

The electronic accelerator pedal (electronic throttle) has been used on the 911 Carrera models since model year 2000. With this system, the accelerator pedal position is converted into electrical signals via potentiometers and forwarded as a control signal to the electromechanical throttle via the Motronic control module. The “conversion” between accelerator pedal angle and throttle angle is performed in the Motronic control unit. Sensitivity and hence driveability in the lower speed and load range are factors here, as is even transmission across the entire pedal or throttle travel.

When the Sport Chrono button is active, a more dynamic accelerator pedal characteristic produces a more spontaneous engine response, underpinning the sporty character. This is achieved via a steeper rise for the electronic throttle characteristic by means of a shorter “conversion” between accelerator pedal and throttle angle. This means that the throttle is opened further or faster with the same accelerator pedal travel and selected Sport Chrono function (with Tiptronic S only in the manual “M” position)."

• 2 weeks later...
Sport also allows a more 'relaxed' PSM intervention, i.e. you can achieve about a 45 degree slip angle before it cust in to straighten you up !

I'm gonna take a high performance driving class this January or February, so I'll see how effective the PASM (without the true Sport button's bells and whistles) at the kidney-busting setting really is. Actually, at higher speeds, the PASM "sport" setting is considerably less harsh.

I find that on track use, sport is perfectly matched to the cars dynamics.

You can rotate the rear better on corner entry with the sport setting, as it allows this to happen before saving your *** if you nail it too early or too hard !

Can't wait to give it a try. Is that "sport" on the PASM only? The car certainly feels more controllable when I punch it, say, on some of the more windey parts of L.A.'s Mulholland Drive.