Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is this normal after installing new wheels ?

I just raplced my boxster 2 17's rims (rear 255/40/17 and front 205/40/17) with a pair of cayman s rims (rear 265/40/18 front 235/40/18) when i replaced it the back looks wonderful but the front looks too high for some reason...looks ike the front is lifted..like a mexican lowrider basically, the back is down and the front is up.. is this normal ? do i need to drop it or what is going on ? also my steering wheel is a lot more loose now and much more sensitive, before my steering was nice and stiff and precise, how can i get that again ? what do i need to do ?

So how would i lower the front of my car to look even with the rear, and how can i get my stiff handling back ???

Thank you

p.s it is a 2003 Porsche Boxster non S

You asked that question but choose to ignore what the guys said.

Stock 18" sizes are F-225/40 R-265-35

You've increased the sidewall by a good bit, both front and back. Take the rears for example, you've increased the sidewall by 5percent (somewhere just under 1/2" taller, if my math is correct). More sidewall equals more wallow.

Was there a particular reason why you didn't go with stock numbers?

I just raplced my boxster 2 17's rims (rear 255/40/17 and front 205/40/17) with a pair of cayman s rims (rear 265/40/18 front 235/40/18) when i replaced it the back looks wonderful but the front looks too high for some reason...looks ike the front is lifted..like a mexican lowrider basically, the back is down and the front is up.. is this normal ? do i need to drop it or what is going on ? also my steering wheel is a lot more loose now and much more sensitive, before my steering was nice and stiff and precise, how can i get that again ? what do i need to do ?

So how would i lower the front of my car to look even with the rear, and how can i get my stiff handling back ???

Thank you

p.s it is a 2003 Porsche Boxster non S

im sorry im just very confused...the reason i bought the rims is because i got them 4 brand new tires and 4 caymen oem porsche rims all together for 400$ and i couldnt let that deal pass by...so what are my option to lower the front ?

Sorry man. if you're really sold on using that setup I don't know what to say.

I feel that even if you spend the extra money to lower the front you're going to make the handling worse (assuming you can even get the look you want).

You're trying to make the car to suit the wheels/tires and that is backwards in my opinion. I think it's going to be more expensive than picking a better balance of tires.

Out of curiosity, what tires are they?

im sorry im just very confused...the reason i bought the rims is because i got them 4 brand new tires and 4 caymen oem porsche rims all together for 400$ and i couldnt let that deal pass by...so what are my option to lower the front ?

I have the factory Sport Design 18" with no spacers and the factory reccommended tire sizes on my 99 Boxster and Could not be happier with the set up. I don't have the sizes handy, but if you look under the front bonnet there is a sticker with recommended sizes(also noted in the owners manual). Sounds like you got a great deal on the wheels. If I were you I would do nothing more until you have the recommended sizes on the car. Use the savings to purchase them and sell the used ones on flea bay. Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out.

im sorry im just very confused...the reason i bought the rims is because i got them 4 brand new tires and 4 caymen oem Porsche rims all together for 400$ and i couldnt let that deal pass by...so what are my option to lower the front ?

.........a great deal......but you cannot use those tires.....they are too tall. Before they are worn, try to get a tire store to swap

you for the correct Boxter sizes that Sputter recommended (F-225/40 R-265-35).......keep the rims.

Edited by 986fan

Sorry man. if you're really sold on using that setup I don't know what to say.

I feel that even if you spend the extra money to lower the front you're going to make the handling worse (assuming you can even get the look you want).

You're trying to make the car to suit the wheels/tires and that is backwards in my opinion. I think it's going to be more expensive than picking a better balance of tires.

Out of curiosity, what tires are they?

crap...the rims are the cayman s rims with the black finish and the tires are brand new michelin ps2, the tires alone for all 4 would run me 600 so the rims plus tires for only 400$ was a STEAL in my opinion. If i take the tires to my local shop they can fit smaller tires on their with the recommended size ? Thanks by the way for all your help, highly appreciated

You have increased the front wheel circumference by 7.7% and the rear by 5.0%. That's WAYYY too far off. You'll not only mess up the car's speedometer (actually probably brings it closer to reading true with the Porsche built in error, but anyway...), but the DME will probably be pretty confused for the ABS system and if you've got PSM. If you want to keep about the same tire widths, you need 265/35-18 and 215/35-18. Even a 225/40-18 is 6.5% larger diameter then stock, which is still too big.

Edited by blue2000s

so what is recommended size for the front ? 225/40-18 or 215/35-18? i want the biggest size possible with no problems or rubs or rasiing the car, and the back i have 265/40-18 what should i make the rear ?

You guys are the best

Once again.

Stock 18" sizes are Front-225/40 Rear-265/35 on stock rims. I can't speak to the offsets of your rims.

so what is recommended size for the front ? 225/40-18 or 215/35-18? i want the biggest size possible with no problems or rubs or rasiing the car, and the back i have 265/40-18 what should i make the rear ?

You guys are the best

You guys are the best

The front should be 225/40, ignore my previous post, I had a calculation error. But actually, the 235/40 should still only 1.3% off from stock circumference, which is actually OK.

Edited by blue2000s

You guys are the best

The front should be 225/40, ignore my previous post, I had a calculation error. But actually, the 235/40 should still only 1.3% off from stock circumference, which is actually OK.

Oh ok thank you very much ill see if i can get my tires swapped out for a smaller size, should i leave the rear tire the way it is or size them down a bit also ?

You guys are the best

Oh ok thank you very much ill see if i can get my tires swapped out for a smaller size, should i leave the rear tire the way it is or size them down a bit also ?

You could leave the fronts alone if they don't rub. You should replace the rears.

but my main concern is the front, the rear fit perfect look great and dont rub at all, the fronts made my car look way higher and my steering is too sensitive, thats my problem, i have no problem at all with the rear...

but my main concern is the front, the rear fit perfect look great and dont rub at all, the fronts made my car look way higher and my steering is too sensitive, thats my problem, i have no problem at all with the rear...

Are the front tires rubbing on the strut? Your problem in the front is something other than the overall diameter of the wheel. Got any pictures?

The rear may look fine, but that's not really the most important thing. You should keep the overall circumference to something less than 4% of stock, which means the rear tires should be changed.

Amazing price, the next time I need a set of wheels and tires I am going to call you! At $400 sounds like they were stolen! :clapping:

Are you positive they are OEM wheels and not the Italian replica's?, a stock Porsche wheel up in the great white north is $1000 each!

Anyway, the set you bought has the OEM tires sizes for the 987/987c(F 235-40, R 265-40), the 986 according to the TSB's was different, the front was 225-40 and the rear 265-35...

As suggested, you should run the correct sizes for the car, the differences in the look will not be noticable IMHO

Edited by Westcoaster

West, was there any offset difference between the boxster 18" and the Cayman 18"s?

Amazing price, the next time I need a set of wheels and tires I am going to call you! At $400 sounds like they were stolen! :clapping:

Are you positive they are OEM wheels and not the Italian replica's?, a stock Porsche wheel up in the great white north is $1000 each!

Anyway, the set you bought has the OEM tires sizes for the 987/987c(F 235-40, R 265-40), the 986 according to the TSB's was different, the front was 225-40 and the rear 265-35...

As suggested, you should run the correct sizes for the car, the differences in the look will not be noticable IMHO

ahahahah believe me i knew the guy he had a cayman and bought the cayman s rims from dealer $2500 brand new, he had them on for 2 weeks and decided to trade in his cayman for a E350 =/ So he had them sitting in his back and just wanted to get rid of them, he originally wanted to get $1000 out of it but i told him all i got is $400 :D hes like ok here...so it was a steal, and tomorrow i have an appointment with discount tire co. i called them and they told me then can give me credit for the tires not a complete trade, does anyone know a company that will trade them, the tires are still brand new, only used for 3 weeks!!! btw im selling my boxster 2 17's with tire if anyone is interested :)

ps here are the pictures of my car with the oversized tires on them lol

img00001to8.jpg

w640.png

img00002mj7.jpg

w640.png

Edited by msediqi

msediqi are U satisfied with the look???,,,

just my thought, I think U should sell the whole package & get something prettier.

let me know how much credit U gonna get from D/C tire, might be interested in those.

The one thing i love about these wheels is the black finish, i think thats an amazing touch, are you interested in the tires or the whole package ? My appointment is D/C tire is tomorrow at 10am so i will let you know, and the credit is only for the tires because im just trying to lower the tire size, if i can trade these for some different porsche rims that will look better on my car im willing to trade if you have anything to offer or just sell them to u. Were you interested in just the tires or both the tires and the rims?

Man those are sweeeet! are those the ones on your car or different ones ? the tires ill let you know how much they give me credit for, pm your number so i can call you right away and let you know if you are interested in matching what they offer or if your not interested so i can get new tires right their and then, my name is Roin by the way.