Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water pump and coolant hoses in 03 turbo

Hi,

Car is in for a service, and I have noted the coolant level has been dropping a bit.

Mentioned it to the dealer. Got a call saying "you need you coolant pipes replaced. Cost AUD$1,600"

**** I think, "oh we also want to remove the manifold to check the water pump too, that'll cost you 2 hours labor"

"ok" I say.

This morning I get a call "yeah the water pump is on it's way out, total cost of job (including hoses) about $4,400 (AUD)"

I know I'm getting screwed but I though I read on this forum that the hose kit is an update with aluminium pipes rather than plastic, so I should specifiy they use that kit?

Man this really sucks, only two months ago I had to do the dreaded drive shaft ($3,500 AUD).

I guess vehicle is 2003, and Australia is a hot country that really stresses vehicle cooling systems. But still $4,400 sheesshhh. Unfortunately this is the only dealer in this state and I don't have much confidence the the other 2 independent workshops.

Thanks goodness the 911 runs like a swiss watch (touch wood!).

I had the same issues, coolant pipes and water pump leaking on a recently bought 03 Cayenne Turbo with 90,000km.

Seems to be a very common problem after 5 years/100,000km.

They do replace the plastic pipes with aluminium ones as part of a mod kit.

I had mine done at a Porsche Service Centre here in Sydney, for the sum of $2950, for the coolant pipes and the water pump replacement. The labour charge is $165/hour.

The intake manifold has to come out for access to the pipes, there are manhours involved in doing the repair.

I was offered and obtained the Porsche Extended Warranty after the 90,000km service to cover for these events up to 2012. It covers the vehicle up to an age of 9 years. Cost is circa $2400 first year then about $2200 per year after that.

Could be worthwhile considering.

Edited by bigbuzuki

Thanks bigbuzuki.

Yes they've confirmed that it is the updated aluminimum pipe kit they are fitting.

I bought my car from a non porsche dealer, so no warranty, but it was heaps cheaper, so I guess I'm paying now!

Anyway, we're going on a big trip off road, so I can't afford a breakdown/overheat. Still plastic pipes in Australia, what were they thinking!

Plus they are going to fix the horns (they have BOTH failed) at the same time, so I won't have to roll down the window and give the bird anymore!

Cheers

Darrin Smith

If the car has been serviced at Porsche Service Centres, and the Porsche people inspect the car and are happy, they can offer you the Porsche extended warranty for future problems.

Anyway, good idea to get the coolant pipes fixed as a seized engine due to no cooling costs about $40,000. :thumbup:

Edited by bigbuzuki