Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Driver's Side window out of adjustment...

I have a 99' 996 Coupe and the driver's side window is making a annoying creaking noise. It is only there after I close the door and the window slides up that 1/2 inch or so. It will continue to creak and thus drive me nuts for about 5 minutes or so. Then it disappears until I open/close the door again or hit a bump/ bot dot on the road. :cursing:

It sounds almost as if the window is trying to push it up into the rubber threshold too much.

Temperature does not affect it...

Cleaning and lubricating the door seal does not affect it.

I can reproduce it if I sit in the driver's seat & try to lift the door up. Yet if I lean on the door it also creaks.

If I roll down the window and open/close the door, it sounds great and there is no noise. Thus it has to be related to the window adjustment...

Do you guys have any ideas as to minor tweaking to get rid of this annoying noise?

Paul

My Garage:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?&...CODE=12&CID=106

• Admin

I would try retraining it first.

Press and hold down the button for at least 10 seconds after the windows has fully opened. Then do the same for fully closed.

If that does not work then you may need to take the door apart to adjust the door window height - (not for the faint of heart).

Great idea! You never cease to amaze me... :notworthy:

I was talking with Sean at Pioneer in SD and he said that there are two adj screws under the door that control up/down and tilt in/out...

Are you familiar with these????

Paul

• Admin
Great idea! You never cease to amaze me... :notworthy:

I was talking with Sean at Pioneer in SD and he said that there are two adj screws under the door that control up/down and tilt in/out...

Are you familiar with these????

Paul

Here are the instructions - do it at your own risk...

From the service manual:

Adjusting the door window height

1. Adjust the upper limit stops of the drivers by screwing the Torx screw no in or out with socket E6 in or against the direction of travel. Adjustment range approx. 15 mm

2. Adjust the drivers so that they meet the upper limit stops at the same time.

Note!

The adjusting screws of the drivers for the upper limit stops for the door window height are accessible through 2 holes at the bottom of the door.

Adjustment procedure:

1. Open the doors

2. Lock door lock with a screwdriver.

3. Move the power window regulator into its upper position.

4. Adjust door window height at the drivers so that the door window evenly projects approx. 2 mm above the roof strip.

Checking the adjustment

1. Close the doors.

2. Use a wax marker to mark the door window along the roof strip.

3. Actuate the door handle until the window lowering function is activated.

Adjustment valve for window lowering function approx. 13 mm

Note!

The wax marking along the door window should be uniformly approx. 4 mm.

Adjustment of the door window pressing force on the door seal at the top and sides

1. Move the power window unit rails by approx. 10 mm outwards or inwards.

Note!

The adjusting nuts of the power window unit rails for the pressing force of the door window upper edge against the convertible top are accessible through two holes at the bottom of the door.

Adjustment procedure:

1. Open the doors.

2. Movethe power window regulator into its upper position and undo the combination nuts M6 of the power window rails.

3. Adjust the power window unit so that the upper edge of the door window is sufficiently pressed against the door seal at the side Tightening torque: 10 Nm (7.5 ftlb.)

Checking the adjustment:

- Clamp a sheet of paper between the door window and door seal.

Note!

It must not be possible to pull out the sheet of paper.

Tried retraining the window and had no luck.

I first rolled it down, & then depressed the down button for 10-15 seconds.

I then rolled it up to the top and it creaked after reaching the top a few times, after it stopped creaking I depressed and held the up button for 10-15 seconds.

That didn't work... it still creaks... (seems like I just need a few milimeters less)

So this time I did it again but, slowly inched the window up to what I thought was close to the the top, but the up/down butons lacks the sensitivity to control finite movements and it just did the same thing...

Am I just being a dork or am I missing something...

Paul

PS

I'm not interested pulling apart my door. Sounds like a hassle

• 7 years later...

I had excessive wind noise from my drivers side window. I found this thread to be helpful but a bit confusing so here is my clarification:

1) The air bag logo on mine was VERY hard to pull out. Be very careful - the leather damages easily.

2) For minor height adjustment - there is no reason to pull the door panel. It all can be done through the bottom of the door by removing the plugs and putting the window all the way down.

3) If you don't have a e6 socket a 5mm socket will work.