Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looking at a 98 Boxster Tomorrow Some ?s Brakes very touchy

Hi guys. I am new here. I am going again to look at a 98 Boxster, manual trans. The first time I looked at it I was told by the owner the ABS pump is bad and needs to be replaced. He said this because the brakes were very touchy and could be locked up easy. He recently had the brake booster replaced and I was wondering if that might have anything to do with it. Also the SRS (airbag) light comes on from time to time. The car runs and drives strong. It has higher miles 97K and the Porsche dealer did an inspection at 90K and repair the pass. window and a few other minor things. He is at $10K but I think it is worth a little less.

What else should I look for when I got back to test drive it again tomorrow? What do you guys think is a fair price? Any tests I should do? I planned to bring my Actron scanner tomorrow as well and check out the live data.

Thanks.

Agreed. Walk away.... There are so many great cars out there without problems.

Cash is king and you can get a screaming deal. Try to find something with a warranty. Yes the dealers are desperate too!

Edited by phillipj

Thanks. I looked at it again. I can get it for $9K but the airbag light is on all the time and when I pushed where the air bag should be it felt hollow. Also, the seats weren't in the best condition and the carpet was faded. Most of the white on the buttons for the power locks, etc where worn down. Carfax didn't show any accident history but it looked like it could have been in one with the air bag light on.

It drove great though. Very smooth.

I did notice today that once I turned it off and restarted it the starter sounded like it was still whirling after the engine was started but not engaging the flywheel.

A little red light by the coolant temp blinks on and off frequently. I think it is the coolant warning light but the coolant was full.

Is it worth it at $9K or should I move on.

Don't walk away... Run Away!!!!!!! :o

That car will be a money pit for you. :angry: Lets see.... A blinking coolant light (could be a switch or a water pump), bad starter, airbag light (possibly no airbag), worn seats, worn everything etc..

Although it might seem a good price for you future repairs could double that price very quickly..

Look at some other cars. Like everyone has said there are some great deals out there. To start with go to Autotrader and browse.

Take your time, you will be glad you did?

Edited by phillipj

Is it worth it at $9K or should I move on.

Since you seem to like this car due to looking at it twice, the way to answer your question is this: How much would this car be worth if it was mint in the same mileage and location? If the market shows that it is a $12,000 car and this seller wants $9000, can you fix everything that is wrong with it for $3000? If so, then $9,000 is a decent price. If it would take $6000 to fix everything (DIY labor or dealer costs - doesn't matter), then paying $6000 is really the price you should pay for this car.

On the flip side, if this is THE car for you due to colors, options, sentimental reasons, etc. and you intend to keep the car for quite awhile (more than a few years) then the equation changes. I bought a 1984 911 that was in rough shape. I just plain liked the car due to it's odd ball paint to sample and interior colors, low options and full history. It's a one of kind car and I searched a year and a half for such a 911. I paid $12,000 for it and I have $26,000 into the car after restoring the paint, suspension, A/C and other repairs. If I had to sell it right now, I would be lucky if I could get $15,000 for it. I'm waaaay underwater on it from a monentary aspect.

For my $26k investment, I could have bought a nearly new 1984 911. But, I don't care since I really like this car and intend to keep it for quite some time. I'll never realize my loss of value on the car since I don't intend to sell. That would be the only situation where it pays to buy cars like the one you are considering and what I dragged home.

However, I agree with everyone else here, there are far too many early 986s around to choose from for the same money that are most likely in much better condition.

Good luck!

Jay

02 986

90 964

84 911

Edited by Jay H

Hello....,

Maybe my thinking will be different then the other guy.....,

For what you say and for what i understand, the repair are for the starter end water pump and they are an easy DIY. You can get the parts on Ebay for very cheap and then have it fixed by your mechanic friend (we everybody have one somewhere) or you can do it yourself.

If the airbag is missing you can also easely find it on Ebay or any good scrap yard for a cheap price.

Just have the car inspected by a good mechanic or Porsche dealer and then you will know what the problems are and then decide if it worth it to buy it.But if it was me and can get the car for let say $8,500.00 i'll buy it.

Good luck

Robert

1999 Boxster tips

You have quoted about a half dozen things wrong with this car

several potentially major. Its easy to not look at the car rationally but become fixated on this one and your hidden emotions drive you towards buying it. Been there, done that, every time I did it was very very wrong long term.

Don't be seduced by the "my gosh I can drive a Porsche for $9k" feeling...there are Porsches which are pieces of junk just as with any make. You want a good one because you want your experience to be a good one and not a series of repairs and "can't drive it"s.

I've written this which contains everything I've learned over 49 years of buying cars and everything I've read that made sense about buying a Boxster. I'll grant you is is oriented more towards buying a $20k car since that is what they cost as little as 2 years ago. But the basic truths still hold IMHO:

* buy the best you can afford

* don't fall in love with this one...there is a better one and a better deal always available

* they are expensive to maintain so don't forget to budget maintenance costs

* get a Pre-Purchase Inspection and a cost-to-fix estimate from a trusted Porsche mechanic before you buy

* know what cars of this age and mileage in good condition are is really selling for (not advertised prices) and pay that or less

* then maintain it well and enjoy the heck out of it.

You wouldn't be coming here and repeatedly asking if you didn't suspect that this wasn't a good car to be buying. You are right.

There are good Boxsters available...thousands. Lots of turnover in these cars as people's life needs change. And the economy favors the buyer if they have cash.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for warning this guy off! I own this car. The brakes were a simple adjustment, warning lights were sensors and the starter was fixed with a spot of machine oil. Now I can get the true value of this car without being beat down buy an a aggressive buyer with bad advice.

Please help more owners get what their cars are worth. :clapping:

Don't kid yourself. The true value of your car is still 10k or $9500. I buy them ALL DAY LONG with less mileage and typically less headaches. Your machine oil? That will last about 100 starts or so :)

I agree they did blast you (welcome to the web) I get my pants pulled down regularly. My skin is now VERY thick :)

B

While the price is ok for the year and miles, the buyer was given solid advice (which is what he came here for).

Putting oil on failing parts is a used car dealers trick to hide issues as it doesn't fix anything. (it just makes things quiet)

No bad advice was given here.

Thanks for warning this guy off! I own this car. The brakes were a simple adjustment, warning lights were sensors and the starter was fixed with a spot of machine oil. Now I can get the true value of this car without being beat down buy an a aggressive buyer with bad advice.

My question would be if they were such easy fixes, why didn't you fix them before putting the car up for sale? In this age of the internet, buyers are able to get info that makes them more savvy. I look for months before I bought my Boxster. I look for info on Boxsters. Kept emotion out of the equation when it came time to purchase one. It's a 98 as well, mint condition, 43K miles, sport package, a few Tequipment tweaks, new top and I only paid a few thousand more than you were asking for your car.

In my opinion this forum did what it was suppose to do....inform someone who was looking for impartial advice. Based on the info he gave, I would have walked away from the deal.....nothing personal just business.