Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

[08C4S] Retrofitting Navigation, CD Changer, and Sirius

In my intro post, I mentioned I'd be retrofitting this set of components into a new 2008 C4S with BOSE. I have since received an updated parts list so I thought I'd ask those with the know-how around here to peruse the list and tell me if

• I have the correct set of components for this particular car/setup
    • It looks like the 997-642-157-01 DVD Navigation Unit is an older horizontal unit and not a vertical unit (I had read somewhere that C4 vehicles need the vertical? Is that right?...Should I be worried about matching A,B,C levels since this appears to be an older part?)

[*]Does it appear as though I'm missing anything

[*]I'm now a contributing member, could someone point me to the "proper"/current TSBs for the various installs? (For the navigation, it looked like all were marked superseded...I didn't see one that was marked as current)

• Porsche 997 PCM 2.1 Navigation Module 997-044-901-35
    • 997-642-157-01 DVD Navigation Unit
    • 997-612-331-00 Harness
    • Trunk DVD Unit Plastic Cover
    • 997-642-105 Antenna
    • 999-513-051-40 cable ties
    • Navigation CD North America 10.2006
    • 997-642-231-00 Metal mounting frame for DVD Nav unit

[*]Porsche 997 Multi CD Changer and installation hardware and cabling

• 997-645-140-03 Porsche CDC-4 CD Changer New Unused
    • 997-645-233-00 bracket
    • 997-612-906-00 Wire Harness
    • 997-645-235-00 Bracket
    • 997-622-720-00 Wire Harness
    • Trunk CD Changer Plastic cover

[*]Sirius retrofit into 997

• Sirius module 7L5-910-563-D ID*012324956077
    • 955-044-900-39 bracket
    • 955-647-117-00 Sirius antenna
    • 955-522-781-00 grommet
    • 955-522-782-00 grommet
    • 955-044-900-10 Wire harness
    • 999-513-051-40 cable ties
    • assorted bolts/screws
    • 955-645-285-00 mounting bracket
    • 955-647-214-01 Wire harness
    • 955-612-816-01 Wire harness
    • 955-044-900-65 Wire harness

Thanks!!!

The DVD unit must be mounted in the horizontal position to work as the internal gyros are configured for this orientation. I am not sure you have the space in the front bulkhead to fit the CD and Nav unit as the chassis steelwork is different on a 4WD vehicle. The Cayenne kit you purchased may have Cayenne specific cables in terms of MOST (optical waveguide) and power etc. There is a good possibility they will fit as the cayenne has the DVD unit mounted under the drivers seat rather than in the front trunk, so the cables could be longer. As to the versions of DVD unit , so long as it is one of the later generation devices that had extended navigation enabled there should be no compatability issues with your PCM. You can double check if the navigation unit is extended navigation enabled by cross referencing the part number in the parts catalogue ( link from contributing members section). You will also need to pay close attention to the option codes which are referenced in the MSP and V pages index at the end of the catalogue. If you are looking for a good step by step guide , take a look on www.caymanclub.net under the electronics section. There is a good write up on retro fitting the navigation module and other parts to a cayman , which is identical to the 997 in the front and for wiring of the nav module etc.

Since your PCM is OEM fittment it will not have the CD changer or Navigation modules enabled, this will need to be done by a main porsche agent after install. It is also important that the CD changer and navigation module are placed in the MOST (optical waveguide) loop in the correct order. Both the CD changer and the Navigation module are designed to have a permanent live power feed. If you check the fuse box listing ( small piece of paper in fuse box cover) it should give an indication of which circuit to tap into.

Edited by berty987

Thanks, berty, lot of good info/advice there. I'm hitting the books now, so to speak, while awaiting the parts/time. Being as the car is my girlfriend's, and since the CD Changer wasn't something she originally wanted (it just happened to come in that "package"), I've already told her that it may be sacrificed for a BlueTooth(MoBridge or Tooki) unit and an iPod hookup.

The CaymanClub reference indicates a 997.622.710.00 (Bose -no changer) or 997.622.713.00 (Bose -with Changer) MOST waveguide/cable harness is needed...obviously to connect the Nav unit into the chain. Neither of these parts are listed on the https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/pdf/e...997_KATALOG.pdf parts catalog page. Is this because the 997 is pre-wired whereas the Cayman is not... or am I missing part(s)?

CaymanClub led me astray. The actual TSB for the installation indicates I need 997.622.717.00 (Bose -no changer) or 997.622.720.00 (Bose -with Changer), of which I will have the latter...so I'll either have to install the changer at the same time or order a new cable... I suppose no one has retro-fitted both changer and nav into a C4S (since I'm hearing doubts that both would fit...)

Edited by jragan

Hmmm reading deeper into the TSB, it appears to imply that, for a C4 with BOSE, the Navigation DVD drive needs to be mounted vertically and goes beside the BOSE amplifier. It also states in the TSB parts list that there are different Navigation DVD drive units for vertical (997-642-139-02) versus horizontal (997-642-137-02) installations. Obviously those part numbers are old and most likely superseded, but this all would seem to tell me that I need a different (vertical-spec) Navigation DVD drive other than than the one listed above which, as far as I can tell from research is a horizontal-only unit... Can anyone clarify or confirm this?

Edited by jragan

Hmmm reading deeper into the TSB, it appears to imply that, for a C4 with BOSE, the Navigation DVD drive needs to be mounted vertically and goes beside the BOSE amplifier. It also states in the TSB parts list that there are different Navigation DVD drive units for vertical (997-642-139-02) versus horizontal (997-642-137-02) installations. Obviously those part numbers are old and most likely superseded, but this all would seem to tell me that I need a different (vertical-spec) Navigation DVD drive other than than the one listed above which, as far as I can tell from research is a horizontal-only unit... Can anyone clarify or confirm this?

To correctly identify the DVD unit for an 08 C4S would require a VIN as there are two different versions of 997-642-139-xx but you are correct needing the vertical unit.

To correctly identify the DVD unit for an 08 C4S would require a VIN as there are two different versions of 997-642-139-xx but you are correct needing the vertical unit.

I meant to post these earlier, got side tracked...

VIN: WP0AB299X8S732132

SW Versions:

(all actuals match targets)

PCM - 05395BD1/4505

Amplifier - 00017600/3105

System Software - 05462AD1/4605

Are you reading the replies to your post.? ...I already covered this earlier. The parts kit you purchased is from a cayenne , as I explained previously the cayenne has a horizontal mounted DVD unit that sits under the drivers seat. The part numbers are shared across vehicle platforms where there are no installation or hardware issues preventing it. Therefore the cayenne part is also suitable for HORIZONTAL mount installations in the Cayman, Boxster and 911. I assume you have read the cayman club installation and seen the pictures of where the horizontal mounted DVD (navigation ) unit fits in the car. This is the same location for the boxster and 911 vehicles fitted with horizontal mount Navigation and CD units. If you have checked on your own vehicle and established that there is insufficient space to install the navigation unit horizontally or fit the CD unit, then you will either need to improvise your own bracket and installation or buy the vertical mount DVD navigation unit. From memory I beleive there is space for a single horizontally mounted unit ( CD or NAV) under the main cover in the front trunk. If you are not concerned about having an OEM installation it is possible the Navigation unit could fit horizontally somewhre else and the Cd changer be substituted for a Dension or mobridge unit. The cables you refer to are the OPTICAL waveguide cables or MOST cables as some refer to them. These connect the Navigation, Amplifier and CD changer together in series , so they can all communicate back to the main PCM. Porsche make different versions of the cable depending on how many MOST devices are installed. It is possible to convert the cables if you have suitable spare plugs , the main concern is ensuring there are no open ends. The CD NAV and AMP also need to be connected in the correct order in the MOST loop , if a component is out of sequence errors can occur with operation.

Are you reading the replies to your post.? ...I already covered this earlier. The parts kit you purchased is from a cayenne , as I explained previously the cayenne has a horizontal mounted DVD unit that sits under the drivers seat. The part numbers are shared across vehicle platforms where there are no installation or hardware issues preventing it. Therefore the cayenne part is also suitable for HORIZONTAL mount installations in the Cayman, Boxster and 911. I assume you have read the cayman club installation and seen the pictures of where the horizontal mounted DVD (navigation ) unit fits in the car. This is the same location for the boxster and 911 vehicles fitted with horizontal mount Navigation and CD units. If you have checked on your own vehicle and established that there is insufficient space to install the navigation unit horizontally or fit the CD unit, then you will either need to improvise your own bracket and installation or buy the vertical mount DVD navigation unit. From memory I beleive there is space for a single horizontally mounted unit ( CD or NAV) under the main cover in the front trunk. If you are not concerned about having an OEM installation it is possible the Navigation unit could fit horizontally somewhre else and the Cd changer be substituted for a Dension or mobridge unit. The cables you refer to are the OPTICAL waveguide cables or MOST cables as some refer to them. These connect the Navigation, Amplifier and CD changer together in series , so they can all communicate back to the main PCM. Porsche make different versions of the cable depending on how many MOST devices are installed. It is possible to convert the cables if you have suitable spare plugs , the main concern is ensuring there are no open ends. The CD NAV and AMP also need to be connected in the correct order in the MOST loop , if a component is out of sequence errors can occur with operation.

Thanks Berty I assumed he was going to buy a vertical dvd unit

Berty, thanks...I am reading. :) I'm just trying to reconcile what those here are saying versus what Suncoast says the parts are for versus what's actually supplied versus what the Porsche parts diagrams are listing. At the end of the day, I want an OEM installation which I am completely capable of performing myself. The CD Changer and SIRIUS bits are all essentially universal, so I'm not concerned with them.

I know all Navigation parts were originally purchsed new from Suncoast for a 2007 C4S. I have also verified against the parts diagrams on techinfo.porsche.com that the included brackets are for a vertical drive. So it would seem just the DVD Nav drive is wrong and I just need to know what the proper vertical unit part number is. According to the techinfo.porsche site (crossreferenced to the partnumber lookup here to get the latest version), the vertical part is either 997 642 139 02 or 997 642 159 01. However my local Porsche parts dept says both parts are PCM2 (not PCM2.1)...he was also unable to lookup the correct part number for the car.

So if someone could please help a brother out with what part number is current for a vertical nav dvd drive, I'll get out of everyone's hair and promise to write up a very nice "How To" just for C4(S)s. :D

Edited by jragan

I have a 2006 C2S with Bose, 6-CD Changer and Nav and also had the Sirus installed into(above) the Nav unit.

Your Sirus kit will have a new antenna to replace the one for Nav, as it has all together (Nav, Sat).

There has been several posts on both here and Rennlist with pics on how to do the install.

I however, let my dealer do it (even though not approved by PCNA) and had them enable it via the PWIS tester.

You'll find that with the antenna location, drop-outs happen often, more so under tree lined roads.

I'd like to see if I can use the new XM housing on the '09 series to mount a Sirius antenna. That would resolve all the drop-outs I have as well as others who've done it.

Look in Rennlist 997 forum and search for Sirus or 1080addict username.

Regards,

Deanski

I have a 2006 C2S with Bose, 6-CD Changer and Nav and also had the Sirus installed into(above) the Nav unit.

Your Sirus kit will have a new antenna to replace the one for Nav, as it has all together (Nav, Sat).

There has been several posts on both here and Rennlist with pics on how to do the install.

I however, let my dealer do it (even though not approved by PCNA) and had them enable it via the PWIS tester.

You'll find that with the antenna location, drop-outs happen often, more so under tree lined roads.

I'd like to see if I can use the new XM housing on the '09 series to mount a Sirius antenna. That would resolve all the drop-outs I have as well as others who've done it.

Look in Rennlist 997 forum and search for Sirus or 1080addict username.

Regards,

Deanski

Hasn't the 09 model got the XM housing on the engine lid at the rear? If so that a big rewire for the XM antenna cable.

Edited by Nick_USA

JRagan,

Have you had an opportunity to look at a factory installed NAV & CD Changer in a C4S 997.1?

You might just want visit your dealership and see if there is one on the sales lot or in for service.

It might shed more light and certainly give you a 'visual' of what the finished job should look like.

Good Luck!

ps. I think it's already been discussed but I'm sure the fiber optic cable(s) as well as the power harness(s) are longer due to the mounting location.

JRagan,

Have you had an opportunity to look at a factory installed NAV & CD Changer in a C4S 997.1?

You might just want visit your dealership and see if there is one on the sales lot or in for service.

It might shed more light and certainly give you a 'visual' of what the finished job should look like.

Good Luck!

ps. I think it's already been discussed but I'm sure the fiber optic cable(s) as well as the power harness(s) are longer due to the mounting location.

Great advice :) I had actually searched the interwebs for 'for sale' C4(S)s with OEM changer and navigation in the hopes they'd have photos of the bonnet, and came up with this which matches the info I've been reading. In this picture you can clearly see the BOSE AMP hump + Attached Navigation DVD drive hump against the rear, and the CD Changer along the passenger-side fender. What I would LOVE to see though is the part number on the Navigation DVD drive...something I've yet to discern.

Porsche_024-vi.jpg

Here's another pic of the NAV & CD Changer inside a C4.

I suspect the wiring is routed behind the carpet and trim.

Ah yes that one is much better than mine :) Meant to get over to the local P-car dealer today but it didn't happen. Perhaps tomorrow.

JRagan,

Good Luck!

Great advice :) I had actually searched the interwebs for 'for sale' C4(S)s with OEM changer and navigation in the hopes they'd have photos of the bonnet, and came up with this which matches the info I've been reading. In this picture you can clearly see the BOSE AMP hump + Attached Navigation DVD drive hump against the rear, and the CD Changer along the passenger-side fender. What I would LOVE to see though is the part number on the Navigation DVD drive...something I've yet to discern.

Porsche_024-vi.jpg

PET for the 997 lists no fewer than 4 different part numbers for the DVD drive. Numbers listed in order are 997 642 139 02 , 997 642 159 00 and 997 642 257 02 and 997 642 257 03. Model numbers on the last two are the same I 615. For the first two the three model numbers listed are the same for both and are I 664, I 670 and I 674 for. In the schematic it's shown as being mounted vertically . While the numbers for the horizontal unit are different I can see no visual difference in the two and given that unit are both self feeding (you start the disc into the drive and the drive pulls it in) a doubt that mechanically they are any different. Interestingly, two of the three model numbers shown for the horizonally mounted units are I 670 and I 672. With that information overload I'm afraid having all those numbers won't help you much. However, if it were me, I'd install the one you have, so long as it matches one of the numbers above. If it doesn't match I'm afraid you're back to square one.

PET for the 997 lists no fewer than 4 different part numbers for the DVD drive. Numbers listed in order are 997 642 139 02 , 997 642 159 00 and 997 642 257 02 and 997 642 257 03. Model numbers on the last two are the same I 615. For the first two the three model numbers listed are the same for both and are I 664, I 670 and I 674 for. In the schematic it's shown as being mounted vertically . While the numbers for the horizontal unit are different I can see no visual difference in the two and given that unit are both self feeding (you start the disc into the drive and the drive pulls it in) a doubt that mechanically they are any different. Interestingly, two of the three model numbers shown for the horizonally mounted units are I 670 and I 672. With that information overload I'm afraid having all those numbers won't help you much. However, if it were me, I'd install the one you have, so long as it matches one of the numbers above. If it doesn't match I'm afraid you're back to square one.

I'm still fumbling through the different cross reference materials a bit, but I think you might be looking at a 997-2 PET listing? The reason I think this is that the PET listing I'm looking at from Porsche.com (for an 07 997, illustration 911-01, Update 203, from 08/28/2006...granted mine's an 08) lists different option codes than you have and indicates the first two part numbers are I099 (right-hand drive). The other interesting thing is that the next two part nunbers you list aren't in the PET available on the Porsche site at all, but they do show up in AutoAtlanta's PET diagrams (but with a price half what the first two part numbers list at which makes me think they might be the DVDs themselves and not the drives?).

I'm still fumbling through the different cross reference materials a bit, but I think you might be looking at a 997-2 PET listing? The reason I think this is that the PET listing I'm looking at from Porsche.com (for an 07 997, illustration 911-01, Update 203, from 08/28/2006...granted mine's an 08) lists different option codes than you have and indicates the first two part numbers are I099 (right-hand drive). The other interesting thing is that the next two part nunbers you list aren't in the PET available on the Porsche site at all, but they do show up in AutoAtlanta's PET diagrams (but with a price half what the first two part numbers list at which makes me think they might be the DVDs themselves and not the drives?).

PET is actually the same as the one you mention. It's entitled 997_USA_KATALOG, is for model year 07 and the numbers listed are for various item # 3 part numbers, as labeled and depicted in the parts blowup picture, and references a "dvd device navigation system". The Final entry under # 3 is for a cd-rom logbook, which I would assume is the software for the logbook feature. The item you mention I099 is item # 2 and is depicted a horizontal drive in the parts schematic I have. Appears straight forward enough but wouldn't explain the price differential you mention. I suppose if the parts guys can't figure it out mean mortals wren't meant to either.

Porsche have produced navigation units with vertical and horizontal orientation becuase the navigation unit has an internal gyroscope that is used in conjunction with the speed of the vehcile to map progress when the GPS signal drops out. This is common practice in factory fit navigation systems as it allows the navigation to work in tunnels and built up areas where a clear view of the sky is sometimes difficult. Having checked the online parts catalogue there is no differentiation on the 997 for 2wd and 4WD drive vehicles as far as options for the PCM DVD navigation. Of the four part numbers listed , one has the prefix letter A ( 997 642 135 03) suggesting its been superceeded and that a later part is compatable. Part number 997 642 135 04 is for an early PCM 2.1 (suitable for Cayenne Boxster and 997) and does not have the extended navigation capability , though this is not essential. 997 642 137 02 is for 997 , and Cayenne / Boxster models that were made after 2006 and does have extended navigation. 997 642 157 00 is the latest part number and has a prefix N suggesting its a new addition , it is also common to the GT3 and is shown in the GT2 catalogue as horizontally mounted.

The only vertically mounted DVD drive i can see is 997 642 159 00 this is shown in the GT3 parts catalogue (GT3 uses the 4wd chassis) and the Turbo catalogue. I suggest that if you plan to install the DVD drive vertically you need this part.

1. find your chassis number (can be found in the front windscreen at the lower corner)

2. Get an up to date version of the parts catalogue ( this can be from the web or from your local dealer for a few dollars)

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/VFMod...pe=MainFrameSet

3. Open the part catalogue for your version of car and country of origin ie 997 , USA/ Canada

4. Go to the section under electronics for sat nav and first check the PCM unit allocated to your chassis number range

5. Then look up the DVD navigation drive in the same chassis range as your PCM and vehicle. Make sure that you also look in the notes column at option codes and vehicle specifics.

First - I promise I'm not dense, I've searched for answers (even simple things like determining chassis number) and have come up fairly dry. Also please keep in mind that I don't have the car in my presence most of the time (I usually have to call in to the girlfriend to get information from her).

1. find your chassis number (can be found in the front windscreen at the lower corner)...

I'm trying to determine the chassis number and from your description of the location, it sounds like you're talking about the VIN number? Are they one in the same? Does the Chassis Number have to be decoded out of the VIN? (I've used the decoder here but none of the outputs label themselves as such and being as I don't have a sample output of what a proper Chassis Number looks like, I'm not sure what I should be looking for.) Finally, when looking at the PET pages, where should I be looking for the Chassis Number (Again, I think if I had a valid Chassis Number to lookup, it would be fairly obvious, but I don't.) I'm guessing, though, that the Chassis Number should be matched to the additional values in the "Description" field (i.e. F>>996S7 43975)?

...Having checked the online parts catalogue there is no differentiation on the 997 for 2wd and 4WD drive vehicles as far as options for the PCM DVD navigation. Of the four part numbers listed , one has the prefix letter A ( 997 642 135 03) suggesting its been superceeded and that a later part is compatable. Part number 997 642 135 04 is for an early PCM 2.1 (suitable for Cayenne Boxster and 997) and does not have the extended navigation capability , though this is not essential. 997 642 137 02 is for 997 , and Cayenne / Boxster models that were made after 2006 and does have extended navigation. 997 642 157 00 is the latest part number and has a prefix N suggesting its a new addition , it is also common to the GT3 and is shown in the GT2 catalogue as horizontally mounted.

The only vertically mounted DVD drive i can see is 997 642 159 00 this is shown in the GT3 parts catalogue (GT3 uses the 4wd chassis) and the Turbo catalogue. I suggest that if you plan to install the DVD drive vertically you need this part....

The PET I'm looking at (https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/pdf/e...USA_KATALOG.pdf) only lists two possible vertical drive options (Illustration 911-01, Item 3) and neither of them (997 642 139 02 and 997 642 159 01) reasonably match the part numbers your listing so I'm rather confused... The Porsche retrofit instructions list 997 642 139 02 as the vertical part needed which does appear as one of the two numbers I listed above. Obviously being able to determine my Chassis Number would help me determine between these two, but now I need to understand where Berty's part numbers are coming from and how they compare to them...

Thanks everyone for all your help thus far. It's really appreciated.