Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM 2.1 Retrofit Trouble. Help!

I bought a PCM 2.1 on Ebay.

It installed easily and powered right up, looking very good. Went to dealer for code activation, we got trouble...

It seems my 2007 GT3 with base sound CDR-24 unit has a small built in amp. The PCM does not. Tech says adding an amp is a big ($) job. Lots of wiring harness work.

Anybody have any experiences or solutions?

My lovely PCM maybe up for sale rather quickly if We cannot solve this one.

Tech is going to try Porsche engineers for ideas.

Disappointed DIY guy.

Pics below show back of my base CDR-24 aluminum dots are heat sink for small amp. My PCM does not have this.

Thanks for any insights to my problem.

post-36959-1233963429_thumb.jpg

post-36959-1233963459_thumb.jpg

I bought a PCM 2.1 on Ebay.

It installed easily and powered right up, looking very good. Went to dealer for code activation, we got trouble...

It seems my 2007 GT3 with base sound CDR-24 unit has a small built in amp. The PCM does not. Tech says adding an amp is a big ($) job. Lots of wiring harness work.

Anybody have any experiences or solutions?

My lovely PCM maybe up for sale rather quickly if We cannot solve this one.

Tech is going to try Porsche engineers for ideas.

Disappointed DIY guy.

Pics below show back of my base CDR-24 aluminum dots are heat sink for small amp. My PCM does not have this.

Thanks for any insights to my problem.

To better understand your problem it would be useful if you could find the part number written on the unit.

It's too bad you didn't fully comprehend the complexity of simply adding a PCM.

To be honest I didn't know there was a 'plain' PCM and a PCM for Bose.

I suspect we'll see your PCM on eBay soon since the cost & trouble of enabling the required harness(s) seems prohibitive.

I hate to see stories like this.

The seller was quite gracious about my Mistake. His ad clearly stated for Bose, but I got wrapped up in what version of PCM it was and looked past it.

He has cancelled our transaction at full refund, and I ship it back to him.

A shame it really worked and looked perfect. Now I want one even more. The install itself is pretty simple.

If you are in the market for a PCM 2.1 with Bose, check ebay. It and the seller are a winner.

Thanks for the comments.

Still looking...

• 1 month later...

I think even the non-Bose PCM uses an external amp - it's just not a Bose amp. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

It is still going to be a bit of work / wiring to make it functional.

Bose PCM head unit: 997-642-143-xx

non-Bose head unit: 997-642-141-xx

There are two types of PCM. Those for bose equipped cars and those without bose. The PCM units that are non bose will still work with the soundpack amplifier as it takes the signal from the speaker outputs. The BOSE equipped PCM s do not have the speaker outputs enabled , it uses the MOST link to send the signal to the BOSE amp to which the speakers are connected. Better to buy the correct PCM for your car than try and re engineer or reconfigure the unit.