Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Pure Power Stainless Steel Woven Filter Media

Has anyone any experience with these filters on other cars? I talked to the owner and he mentioned that the company will start producing them in the April timeframe for Porsches. They are a "lifetime" filter with a 22micron absolute rating which is good, but I'd like to get some first hand knowledge before I spend $180 for it -- $180 can by a lot of OEM paper filters!! Thx.

Regards,

paul...

http://www.gopurepower.com

You may want to do a search on the subject of filter replacements. I've yet to any convincing power gains or 0-60 / max speed increases as a result of fitting a performance air filter. Personally I think its the automotive equivalent of snake oil. The 987 has a much improved filter media area and therefore lower resistance than that of the earlier 986. Its the same media and intake snorkel on all 987 models up to and including the 303 hp Rs60 / Cayman sport. The restriction or differences in the intake system between models is the resonance manifold and throttle body, not the paper element. Suggests to me there is no need to upgrade or replace the air filter element. Paper works very well , I see no need to change it , just replace earlier if you live in a dry or dusty environment.

Edited by berty987

You may want to do a search on the subject of filter replacements. I've yet to any convincing power gains or 0-60 / max speed increases as a result of fitting a performance air filter. Personally I think its the automotive equivalent of snake oil. The 987 has a much improved filter media area and therefore lower resistance than that of the earlier 986. Its the same media and intake snorkel on all 987 models up to and including the 303 hp Rs60 / Cayman sport. The restriction or differences in the intake system between models is the resonance manifold and throttle body, not the paper element. Suggests to me there is no need to upgrade or replace the air filter element. Paper works very well , I see no need to change it , just replace earlier if you live in a dry or dusty environment.

Berty,

Thanks, but I apologize for not mentioning that this Pure Power is an oil filter, not an air. My mistake -- sorry!

Regards,

paul...

Hi Paul,

No worries. As to the re useable filter, I think you may need an ultrasonic bath to properly clean it. Certainly i would be uneasy about leaving it in any length of time without a thorough clean. Personally i'd rather throw the old filter away with the debris than have a re useable one.

Hi Paul,

No worries. As to the re useable filter, I think you may need an ultrasonic bath to properly clean it. Certainly i would be uneasy about leaving it in any length of time without a thorough clean. Personally i'd rather throw the old filter away with the debris than have a re useable one.

Hi Berty,

Yes, I also had concerns about a proper cleaning and don't want to spend a lot of time waiting for it to dry before re-installing. I was curious to know if anyone had fantastic things to say about the filter. Thx.

Regards,

paul...

We use fine metal pleated mesh filters at work for protecting pump internals on CIP systems. In the main they work well and do allow for re use , but not on an indefinite timeline. For most automotive uses where the filter may be changed 8- 10 times in the life of the engine (assuming a 20k service interval) I would suggest the material may be durable for a number of services. I think its important to be aware that the media will fatigue or become increasingly difficlut to clean as metal shards , degrading gaskets etc start to build up and become snagged in the media. Some form of forced backflushing or ultrasonic clean is generally the best method of cleaning. The filters i've seen also have a tendency to delaminate from the housing / end cap after prolonged extended use.

Edited by berty987

We use fine metal pleated mesh filters at work for protecting pump internals on CIP systems. In the main they work well and do allow for re use , but not on an indefinite timeline. For most automotive uses where the filter may be changed 8- 10 times in the life of the engine (assuming a 20k service interval) I would suggest the material may be durable for a number of services. I think its important to be aware that the media will fatigue or become increasingly difficlut to clean as metal shards , degrading gaskets etc start to build up and become snagged in the media. Some form of forced backflushing or ultrasonic clean is generally the best method of cleaning. The filters i've seen also have a tendency to delaminate from the housing / end cap after prolonged extended use.

Hi Berty,

Thanks for the supplemental info -- I was concerned about some of the same things you mentioned. I've decided to stay with the OEM paper filters.

Regards,

paul...