Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I just bought a 2006 turbo and am picking it up at the dealer tomorrow, the car has 38k miles on it and the thing has never seen the dealership for anything but scheduled maintenance so seems to have been trouble free. The dealer wants to sell me an extended warranty for another 3or 4 years to cover the car but I am not sure it's needed. What do you think? Over the course of the warranty it would be about $5k. If I keep up on maintenance and such and there are no known problems should I be safe to get another 40k miles out of this Cayenne?

I just bought a 2006 turbo and am picking it up at the dealer tomorrow, the car has 38k miles on it and the thing has never seen the dealership for anything but scheduled maintenance so seems to have been trouble free. The dealer wants to sell me an extended warranty for another 3or 4 years to cover the car but I am not sure it's needed. What do you think? Over the course of the warranty it would be about $5k. If I keep up on maintenance and such and there are no known problems should I be safe to get another 40k miles out of this Cayenne?

Buy the warranty. That's my advice.

You should be relatively problem free, but if you have one major issue, you can easily spend more than that. Research the warranty company carefully to make sure they have a good history. I've heard stories of warranty companies taking your money, and then going out of business.

It really depends how much peace of mind you'll get from it. Personally, I'd pass on the warranty and save the $5k. You should still have some of the original 4yr/50k mile facotry warranty left anyways.

Once you are out of warranty, if you are the type of person that will lie awake at night wondering if your car is going to break, then maybe you should get the warranty. I've seen several higher mileage Cayennes for sale in local ads, and with proper maintenance you're car will likely easily go 40k more miles without any problems.

Another thing to consider is a warranty with a per incident deductible - they are cheaper and still provide peace of mind. Also, extended warranties are negociatable, so see if you can get them to come down in price.

Good Luck and Congrats on you're new purchase!!!

Here is what I know from my dealer buddy - At VW, it costs them $750 to enable a pre-owned dealer warranty (not a 3rd party buy and pray warranty). They of course will tell you it costs $2500 + and you have to buy the car from them (some will just do it) . At Porsche, the warranty cost more and they are a little more particular about it. However, I had 2 dealers tell me " Bring it down and we will certify it". I have an 05 S with 16K miles. The first dealer said " Hell, give me $3500 and no problem". SO - i suspect they pay $1500 MAX to Porsche to do it. I am also hearing that Porsche is giving away CPOs to some dealers who are moving lots of off-lease cars.

SO - armed with that info, I would suggest that you:

1. Go for a CPO, not a 3rd party.

2. negotiate the price with the dealer and if he won't - give him the " let me call you tomorrow". Then hit the phones and ask another dealer if they will do it for $2500.

3. if you find some one - great, if not, go back to your original and try again.

Keep in mind - blow one coolant seal above the trany and its a full R&R that you would have to pay for = e.g., $2.00 seal, $7 - 8 K R&R. I say get the warranty.

I am looking to trade my 05 s now for a TT and if I cant get the deal I want, I will be CPOing mine as my warranty runs out at the end of this month.

Hope this helps.

I purchased the extended warranty at CarMax (Max Care) on my '06 at the time of purchase. Purchased with 9,100 miles on the clock, transferable coverage 'til 84,000 miles or 2014, cost $1,649.00 Really the only reason I recommend CarMax, I have never heard of better used car extended coverage for the price. My Porsche dealer warranties Max Care coverage CarMax sold Porsche's all day long, $75 deductible. $5K sounds very high, I would open an ING Orange savings, drop the 5K in it and wait for that rainy day. Good Luck!

I put a Extend Waranty on my '05 Cayenne S for another 3yrs/36k for $2500......... I am still in factory-warranty til May '09 but after that....

If I had bought an extended warranty, I would have almost paid for it with a SINGLE repair. ONE REPAIR.

If I did it over again, I would not have balked, even if it were 6k. If I get slammed with another repair over $3000 anytime soon, I'm going to claim it as a loss on insurance; after you calculate the value lost over the last year or so I figure buying the vehicle cost me $3000 per month in depreciation and repairs for 14 straight months.

I have a one with Mercury

Today the second major thing went wrong and again they denied the claim AGAIN.

From this experience, I would put $4500 into a bank account (not stocks) and pay for the repair yourself, you will come out ahead.

I

I put a Extend Waranty on my '05 Cayenne S for another 3yrs/36k for $2500......... I am still in factory-warranty til May '09 but after that....

If I had bought an extended warranty, I would have almost paid for it with a SINGLE repair. ONE REPAIR.

If I did it over again, I would not have balked, even if it were 6k. If I get slammed with another repair over $3000 anytime soon, I'm going to claim it as a loss on insurance; after you calculate the value lost over the last year or so I figure buying the vehicle cost me $3000 per month in depreciation and repairs for 14 straight months.

Lots of disreputable third party warranty companies out there. Don't base the warranty you choose on price alone. Most with good reputations won't even touch Porsches, Land Rovers, etc. Also be careful of CarMax (Max Care). They don't actually sell the warranty. Instead they contract it out to various vendors which may, or may not be scams. You need to find out who, exactly, is your provider. Research consumer advocate sites and the BBB. Read the contract. It may require you to use only their providers for regular maintenance and repairs (which charge more). It may also require you to pay repair costs up front to be reimbursed later. Of course the reimbursement may never come or it could only be a fraction of your cost. There is a lot of ways they can escape payment (claims of abuse, normal wear and tear, etc).

1) Find a good Porsche mechanic (maybe a dealer, maybe not.. not can be MUCH cheaper)

2) Buy the exntended warranty and make sure your mechanic takes it first. If you bank at a credit union, check with them on their pricing. Ask your mechanic that you trust about the warranties available. They know which ones pay the most by their experience.

3) Pray you never need it.

4) Make sure you do ALL OF YOUR MAINTENANCE and DOCUMENT IT!!!! If not, warranties will look to get out of anything that can be related to a maintenance item.

5) Pray some more you never need it. One item can easily eat up what you might pay for one.

6) Check to see if its transferable because you might want to sell the car and a warranty is a great selling feature.

7) Sacrifice a chicken and pray some more.

thanks for all the advice, decided to go with the $6k warranty. figured I could afford $6k but $25k is not in the budget. The warranty states what they don't cover, not what they do so I feel ok with it. Also went ahead and sacrifice a chicken just in case, then stuck it on the BBQ