Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Drain Holes

Hello All,

I have been experiencing continued problems with water getting into the cabin of my 2001 Boxster 2.7 Tiptronic. Repaired the right rear DRAIN TRAY which had a hole. Have removed the passenger seat twice and pulled back carpet to dry it out. I have not had enough time to totally dry it out (but getting there).

Notice moisture now on the drivers side but none around the black box thankfully. Back drain trays and drain holes look good. Poured water down them and it exited the car where it should.

Checked front drain holes and I am thinking not so good. Passenger side is clear and looks good although I have a clear plastic 1/8" tube that is not connected to anything. Not sure what it is for (see pic).

Drivers side DRAIN HOLES may have issues. On the one closest to the battery there is the rubber liner but when i feel inside it 1" down there does not appear to be anything (drain hose) attached to it.

There is a second drain hole further to the left which has the same rubber liner but has a square rubber block stopper about 1" down so nothing is getting through (see pic).

QUESTION: How do I access the routing of the drain tubes? If I remove the front wheel and wheel liner will they be visible? Are there supposed to be one or two on the drivers side?

post-33392-1235463028_thumb.jpg

post-33392-1235463058_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Remove the front wheels and inner wheel well liners to have access to the drain tubes, the routing is on top of the fuel tank, front drain holes even without rubber liners or tubes have no access to the cabin. There are 2 drains left and 2 drains right of the battery, the tube on the pic could be the battery overflow.

In my MY2000 996 cab the grommets like the one in your picture do NOT connect to any tubes. They just drain below the front trunk. Apparently at some point Porsche quit using drain hoses.

I actually removed the liner to verify and indeed there are no drain hoses coming out of the front trunk of my car. There are a couple of holes in the wheel wells but they are empty. I can't speak for the Boxter though...

Thanks RFM.

The water that was getting on the right side of the car was definately from the rear drain tray. entire right side floor was soaking wet all the way from front to back.

Left side is recent moisture and different. Below the seat seems dry. No water around black box and no water under the carpet rear portion of the carpet (under the seat) as I am able to pull it back enough to get my hand in to feel floorboard.

Front left side is where the moisture is. I can not get under the carpet there as I have not attempted to remove drivers seat yet (also not sure how to remove plastic piece where the hood and trunk release is). Feels like the moisture is mostly along the left side just below the fuse box along to where the front drivers seat anchoring bolts are.

Does anyone know what the possible ways water would get to the front of the drivers side but not the back?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

As mentioned: front drains clogged (beside the battery and under the brake booster) - membrane between the left door trim and door (torn or loose) - electric connector in left A-pillar (protective rubber hood torn or defective) - left door seals - front window sealing kit cracked. Let a helper spray some water over this area and look at the same time for penetrating water.

Thanks RFM.

The water that was getting on the right side of the car was definately from the rear drain tray. entire right side floor was soaking wet all the way from front to back.

Left side is recent moisture and different. Below the seat seems dry. No water around black box and no water under the carpet rear portion of the carpet (under the seat) as I am able to pull it back enough to get my hand in to feel floorboard.

Front left side is where the moisture is. I can not get under the carpet there as I have not attempted to remove drivers seat yet (also not sure how to remove plastic piece where the hood and trunk release is). Feels like the moisture is mostly along the left side just below the fuse box along to where the front drivers seat anchoring bolts are.

Does anyone know what the possible ways water would get to the front of the drivers side but not the back?

Thanks in advance!

Lebow:

There was also a post about 6 months ago where the poster found that water was entering the cabin EXACTLY where you point out.

He posted a photo of his (white, IIRC) Boxster that showed a small gap where the body panels come together at the point where the bottom rear of the driver's side front fender meets the inner fender and the front bulkhead. You have to remove the driver's side (left side) wheel liner to expose the gap and seal it.

Do a search here, you should be able to find it.

Regards, Maurice.