Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help on removing AC Compressor

Loren (or another backyard mechanci)

I finally had some success in trying to remove the AC Compressor on my 996, which the manual make sound so simple. The big challenge was getting at the rear mounting bolt, which is way back in there. I found that by removing the temperature sensor and grommet that fits between intakes 4 & 5 you get an almost straight shot at the bolt. Putting it back together may be just as challenging.

However I now need two more answers from those who have done this before.

First, the manual says to disconnect the electrical plug connection. Is this on the single wire that connects behind the pulley? And do you disconnect is at the plastic piece behind the pulley, or is there another connector I haven’t found yet?

Finally, there are two lines connected to a device mounted to the top rear of the compressor that at first looked like a receiver/dryer. The lines are too short to pull the compressor out of position. In looking at PET this device may be the “fuel cooler” which shows two lines connected to it, but the manual does not mention this device or the fines to it. If they are fuel lines I should be able to disconnect them with loosing the charge on the compressor (which is the whole point in removing the compressor after all). Anyone with any advice on this?

• Moderators

The single wire connector (which you have to disconnect) is located on the right fuel (injectors) rail together with the injector wiring. Regarding the lines to a fuel cooler, i cant help you out, 996 Cabrio and Coupe do not have a cooler in Europe except TURBO, but they have another routing. The airco compressor lines are partial flexible and are disconnectible in the top right of the engine room in Europe.

• 6 years later...

You can disconnect the A/C hoses at the compressor, and the fuel cooler stays in place.

I had a tough time with the rear mounting bolt as well - ended up using a box wrench to break it loose, and then a 1/4 drive ratchet /wobbly/extension from the top.

Yeah, the rear bolt is a challenge. I had success by removing the temperature sensor, it slides out to the right, and then using a 3/8 drive with 6 inch extension and universal joint extension. It's amazing how just a little more room makes all the difference, and a little extension mirror to see the bolt location.