Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 40th anniversary edition - US Spec v Euro Spec

I am looking at buying a 996 40th anniversary edition in the UK that has been imported from the US. I have carried out a number of searches on the forum to understand the differences between the US spec and Euro spec cars and apart from the usual US/Euro cluster and aircon display issues the main quesion mark appears to be over the suspension settings. Please can you assist with the US suspension components used - dampers/shocks and springs? I understand that Euro cars had ROW MO30 suspension on the front and something called MO95 on the back.

If there are any other general differences that you are aware of I would of course also be grateful to hear about those.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Read this article from Panorama Magazine about suspension differences. The article is not specific to the 40th Anniversary cars but it does a good job explaining the US/ROW M030 differences.

996 Suspension Analyzed

For a car with only a handful of options, it is rather amazing the amount of misinformation floating around the internet about the 40th Annivesary 996. So much so that I started getting the part numbers from various parts on my car to find out exactly what I had. I will gladly post the exact suspension part numbers from my 04 40th once I get home this evening if you think it will help. in the mean time here is a general list of items I have confirmed:

1. Transaxle does in fact have a limited slip differential. Part number on my transaxle is G96012. G96 is Getrags transmission number, 01 indicates it is the second generation design and the 2 indicates limited slip.

2. While the car has the X-51 engine it does not have the third, middle, radiator. There is a rumor that the 40th has larger "turbo" side radiators but I have not verified this yet.

3. PSE was not a factory option for the US. Although some 40ths have PSE, it was probably a dealer installed option and will not be reflected in the factory option code sticker.

4. Suspension is the US M030. The sway bars are the same as the ROW M030 package and marked with a green dot. The dampers and springs are different from the ROW. (I will update with specific part numbers tonight)

I found this information too:

According to Joel Reiser, the PCA 996 guru, the 40th's suspension is not exactly the same as the M030......

I copied the following text from the PCA tech q&a site. The web address is http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...3-4DCAB3AE76AA}

Question:

I have read here where the "sport suspension" on the 40th Anniversary car is coded M095 versus the M030. I also know that there is a USA and ROW version of the M030 and have read the review of the shock and spring characteristics of each. What I would like to know is whether the suspension modification of the 40 year car is the effectively the same as the USA, ROW or some other suspension specification. Is the 40 year car ride height the same as USA M030, ROW M030 or something else? The car is advertized as being 10 mm lower than standard. Is that 10 mm lower in front and back? Just back? At the end of the day, would an ROW M030 conversion be an improvement in handling over what I have now?

Many thanks

Answer:

There was no change to the front springs & shocks according to the Porsche parts diagrams for M030. The rear only had a different spring & shock specific to the M095 cars.

I believe the M095 40th Anniversary cars were lowered 10mm from standard at both ends. Normally the ROW car is 10mm lower than US ride height up front, but the same ride height as US in the rear. The M095 would be 10mm lower in the rear as well, making it unique, however as yet this is not documented in the factory workshop manuals. The ROW M030 was 10mm lower than standard in the rear, but 20mm lower than standard up front. M030 US cars had the same ride height as standard US cars.

The only way to know for sure on the ride height is to measure it. I would take it to whoever would be doing your lowering if you chose to go that route, and have them check it for you.

I am guessing the ROW M030 suspension would probably provide 10mm more lowering up front, and a slightly firmer ride all the way around. Still not firm, just a bit less soft.

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 11/17/2004

Here is the information I got from my suspension bits:

Dampers:

Front: 996.343.041.22 (Marked with a grey dot)

Rear: 996.333.051.35 followed by "BJO" (Marked with a grey dot)

Bumpstops:

Front: 996.343.301.02

Rear: 996.333.105.03

Springs:

Was not able to find part number on assembled struts, but color coding dots seem to agree with previously referenced article.

Fronts: Grey and Blue dots

Rears: Grey and White(possible brown) dots

Swaybars:

Are the same as the ROW M030 suspnesion.

Ride Height:

Front and Rears: 26.5"inches (673mm)

Measured through centerline of the wheel from the ground to the fender lip.

The measured distance appears to be about 10mm higher than the ROW M030 setup and inline with the US M030 specs.

Hope this helps. If you need any additional info let me know.

Thanks both for your input. The logical conclusion therefore appears to be that US cars have US M030 suspension and Euro cars have ROW M030 suspension as standard although there is one other post that makes reference to M095 on the back of a Euro car but from what I can tell this would be the same ride height as a ROW M030 set-up (slightly stiffer perhaps?).

I will try the car and see what I think of it and base the purchase decision on that bearing in mind what I know about the suspension and costs associated with changing it.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Thanks both for your input. The logical conclusion therefore appears to be that US cars have US M030 suspension and Euro cars have ROW M030 suspension as standard although there is one other post that makes reference to M095 on the back of a Euro car but from what I can tell this would be the same ride height as a ROW M030 set-up (slightly stiffer perhaps?).

I will try the car and see what I think of it and base the purchase decision on that bearing in mind what I know about the suspension and costs associated with changing it.

Thanks again.

Still a little confused about the front springs. I have the US 40 AE.

Were there any differences in springs / shocks between the European and the U.S. AE?

I thought my car had a 10 mm drop all around (including the front)?

Does my US front have the US M030 (no ride height difference), the ROW std (10 mm lower), the ROW M030 (20 mm lower)?

Does my US rear have the M095 (10 mm lower) which is stiffer than the ROW M030 (10 mm lower)?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Read this article from Panorama Magazine about suspension differences. The article is not specific to the 40th Anniversary cars but it does a good job explaining the US/ROW M030 differences.

996 Suspension Analyzed

http://web.archive.org/web/20030707142009/www.pca.org/panorama/sample_article_3.html

the link above didn't work, but I think this link is the article. if anyone could help me answer my questions regarding the US 40th AE springs, i'd appreciate it! thanks!