Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My door used to rattle when slammed with the window down

I bought my car (2001 Boxster 2.7 5sp) used with 110,000 miles, and ever since I got it, the doors rattled whenever I slammed them with the windows down...kind of a cheap sound. Today, I fixed it.

It was a pretty day out and I felt like tinkering, so I took apart a door to figure out the problem (there are some other posts in this forum with door panel removal instructions, some with pictures even). I noticed that the window seemed to have some play within the tracks that it slides up and down on. The window glass is attached to two metal plates, and those two metal plates slide on two metal rails (in order to see both rails, the speaker box has to be removed). Between the rails and the metal plates are little blue plastic clips that keep everything snug. Those little clips had worn down over years of use and were no longer snug. I managed to pop these plastic clips off the plates (not the easiest thing to do, but possible with some patience) and I put some duct tape on the outside part that fits into the plates and reattached them (about as difficult as removing them). One was really worn (upper clip towards the rear of the car) and duct tape wasn't enough, so I went to the hardware store and found a nylon spacer, cut it into a "C" shape, trimmed it a little to fit, then popped it back into the plate.

I gave the door a few test slams and it sounded good, so I put the door back together. I tried a few more slams, and, no rattle!

That description made it sound like a 30 minute job...in reality, it took a lot of the afternoon. Hopefully this description will take it back down to a 30 min. or 1 hr. job. It cost me 57 cents for the pack of nylon spacers.

I seem to recall a TSB on this from 2000.

As I recall the fix was a new latch hoop.

Having this same issue with drives side door rattle. Will the dealer take care of this out of warranty even if the TSB was 2000?

• Admin
I seem to recall a TSB on this from 2000.

As I recall the fix was a new latch hoop.

Having this same issue with drives side door rattle. Will the dealer take care of this out of warranty even if the TSB was 2000?

On an 8 year old car - not likely.

You can wrap a little electrical tape around the hoops to see if it helps. If it does, the hoops are a pretty inexpensive part and can be replaced easily. Striker Back Part Link The only special tool for installation is a triple square bit, which I found a set of at AutoZone for 20 dollars. Take note of the location of the old loops as the are adjustable once the screws are loosened. I replaced the loops about a year ago, which helped a good bit. Though as I said above, the thing that took it to real silence was shimming the window regulator plastic clips. My car is 8 years old, 130k miles, and second owner...a few things are bound to start to wear out. BTW, I repeated the procedure on the passenger door with the same good quiet results.

Edited by secretagent214