Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ball joint boots replacments

Last weekend I got ready to change the front shocks on my 1999 C2, then I noticed that all the ball joint boots are cracked or damaged. I found out that you can not just replace the ball joints and it comes with the unit that it is attached to, like 928 Porsches. There is a kit for 928s that rebuilds and replaces the inside and the outside of the ball joint, but I could not find any kit for 996 porsches. Does any body have any sugestions besides changing those expensive parts ? I like to just clean and repack the ball joints but I need a set of new ball joint boots. Deos any body know where I can find different size boots ?

Max

I inspected the ball joints. They wear tight and snug with no sign of wear after 120,000 miles. I removed the torne ball joint boots and carefully cleand them. I also cut and removed the clip that holds the lower end of the boot.

I was able to find some boots from a company called Energy Suspension in San Clemente, California. The Rack and Pinion outer ends took their Part# 9.13103G and the control arm's main took part # 9.13105G. They cost about $5.00 dollars for each pair and they are made of Polyruethane. I repacked the joints with lots of new grease and mounted the new boots.

I have to change the sway bar linkage boots too but, I have not found any that small. By the way, changing the shocks was a peice of cake and I am going to do the rear ones next weekend.

Max

• 2 months later...

I also have a 99 Porsche 996 but C4 and I was changing my front brake pads today and found some gease on the brake line. So looked into it further found my front passenger side outer CV boot is crack wide open and there were barely any gease in joint at all. I look into the company you mentioned but did not see any part for that was for the porsche. Did you order part that was for other cars? I think I did feel my car shakes a little a month or two ago but I check the wheel and no gease was found so I just thought I was being too sensitive but now I think the shake was indeed from the crack CV boot. Any pointer would help on finding new replacment boot or even changing out the whole axle. Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...
These boots are univesal and are made for any car as long as they fit.

Hi. So Energy Suspension part numbers 9.13103G and 9.13105G are boots for some of the front ball joints. What about the metal clip that typically goes around the boot? Do these not need them?

• 2 weeks later...
I also have a 99 Porsche 996 but C4 and I was changing my front brake pads today and found some gease on the brake line. So looked into it further found my front passenger side outer CV boot is crack wide open and there were barely any gease in joint at all. I look into the company you mentioned but did not see any part for that was for the porsche. Did you order part that was for other cars? I think I did feel my car shakes a little a month or two ago but I check the wheel and no gease was found so I just thought I was being too sensitive but now I think the shake was indeed from the crack CV boot. Any pointer would help on finding new replacment boot or even changing out the whole axle. Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem last week... I just had the part from my porsche dealer, the part number is 996 349 291 00 and it's called "dust bellows"