Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Couple of questions / shop recommendations

Got a couple of questions, and looking for some good shop recommendations in my area that specialize in what I'm looking for.

1) I want to get my brake calipers re-finished. I saw a place on-line that completely strips, and refinishes to OEM quality brake calipers for $100 a piece, but since he's out of state, would require me to remove all 4 brake calipers, mess with the brake fluid drainage, etc. which i don't really feel with messing with.

2) Along that note, I'd like to flush and replace all the brake fluid, power steering fluid, pretty sure the manual-trans fluid is all good since I had a new trans and clutch installed when i first got the vehicle. How incredibly difficult is it to do this myself assuming I've never messed with changing brake fluid before? Or is there a good shop i can use to do this?

3) Not a shop question, but ya know those plastic screws on the door panels that are underneath the pocket lids? They're kind of annoying and strip easily. Is there a replacement screw or something better to use instead of those plastic screws? Something like the "Thumb Knurl kit" (that was an awesome design).

Thanks, I'm in the west suburbs of Chicago, near Elgin / Barrington area.

If you've never flushed the brake system before, I'd either have an experienced friend help you or take it to a shop. Fischer Motors in Barrington isn't far from you (right off Hwy 14) and I highly recommend them.

Lots of threads about caliper refinishing...search here and on www.986forum.com to see if you think it's something you can handle.

If you've never flushed the brake system before, I'd either have an experienced friend help you or take it to a shop. Fischer Motors in Barrington isn't far from you (right off Hwy 14) and I highly recommend them.

Lots of threads about caliper refinishing...search here and on www.986forum.com to see if you think it's something you can handle.

Yea, It's not that I don't know "how" to do the caliper refinishing, it's that I just don't have the time or patience for something like that :) So, I was hoping there was some shop in the area that would do that sort of thing.

Got a couple of questions, and looking for some good shop recommendations in my area that specialize in what I'm looking for.

1) I want to get my brake calipers re-finished. I saw a place on-line that completely strips, and refinishes to OEM quality brake calipers for $100 a piece, but since he's out of state, would require me to remove all 4 brake calipers, mess with the brake fluid drainage, etc. which i don't really feel with messing with.

2) Along that note, I'd like to flush and replace all the brake fluid, power steering fluid, pretty sure the manual-trans fluid is all good since I had a new trans and clutch installed when i first got the vehicle. How incredibly difficult is it to do this myself assuming I've never messed with changing brake fluid before? Or is there a good shop i can use to do this?

3) Not a shop question, but ya know those plastic screws on the door panels that are underneath the pocket lids? They're kind of annoying and strip easily. Is there a replacement screw or something better to use instead of those plastic screws? Something like the "Thumb Knurl kit" (that was an awesome design).

Brake flushing is pretty easy if you use a pressure bleeder - I do it about 2x a year for my track car. I use a motive power bleeder. You hook this thing to your brake fluid tank, pump in some pressure with brake fluid in the container, and work your way around the car bleeding off the old fluid until the new fluid comes out at each of the two bleeder screws on each caliper. You can also bleed the clutch.

Loren has a great DIY on this technique under the 996 section, I think.

One note - brake fluid is nasty stuff, that can damage paint. Be careful with it. And be sure you have a good seal between the bleeder and the tank - i had two bad washers from motive, ended up getting a big washer from Lowes to get it sealed.

Brake flushing is pretty easy if you use a pressure bleeder - I do it about 2x a year for my track car. I use a motive power bleeder. You hook this thing to your brake fluid tank, pump in some pressure with brake fluid in the container, and work your way around the car bleeding off the old fluid until the new fluid comes out at each of the two bleeder screws on each caliper. You can also bleed the clutch.

Loren has a great DIY on this technique under the 996 section, I think.

One note - brake fluid is nasty stuff, that can damage paint. Be careful with it. And be sure you have a good seal between the bleeder and the tank - i had two bad washers from motive, ended up getting a big washer from Lowes to get it sealed.

Here's Loren's DIY

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7064