Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY for Inner Tie Rods

It's been asked several times on renntech, but never answered. So I'll throw it out there one more time...

Anybody got any ideas on how to change the inner tie rod on a 01 Boxster? I'm down to the tie rod itself, but looks like the wrench needed to get in there and release the ball joint side of the tie rod is going to be tough. Probable a special tool, I'm guessing.

Bentley manual just says to use the "appropriate wrench". I could've figured that one out. Can Sears tool dept. help me? What tool or method should be used to get this bugger out?

post-32519-1238696280_thumb.jpg

Apparently, it's also called a 'JOINT' (part number 996 347 322 03) and labeled number 6 in the diagram.

After separating the ball joint(8) from the wheel carrier, the manual says to pull the sleeve back (2) and remove tie rod (6) with the appropriate wrench. A 30 mm wrench of some sort is needed, or at least that's the size of the nut that's holding the tie rod to the steering assembly.

The problem is, there is no room to get a wrench that big into the recessed area. I can barely get my hand in there.

I'm coming across various things called "tie rod removers", but of course they won't be specific to a porsche.

Surely somebody out there has replaced one of these. BTW, I'm calling this a "tie rod" because that's what 2 technicians called it when they wrote up the repair log for my 01 Boxster. Haven't seen it called a "joint" until I looked at the above diagram.

Looks like Harbor Freight makes a "special tool" for this project. Took me some searching to come up with what looks like a great DIY on this link:

http://www.ifitjams.com/tie_rod.htm

It's not a porsche vehicle the technician is demonstrating on, but all the major parts are there and similar.

Guess I solved this one on my own, but hopefully someone with inner tie rod replacement on their list of weekend projects will find this helpful.

I wound up renting an Inner Tie Rod Removal tool from Advanced Auto. Autozone also had one. Probably the tool WVICARY is speaking of.

I found the problem with these tools are that the wrench itself comes mainly in 1 3/16" and 1 5/16". Guess which size you need for Porsche? Of course, the exact size the tool skips...1 1/4"!

My solution was to file down the new tie rod nut to fit the smaller wrench. The snug fit helped me torque to correct specs. A few minutes of filing with a metal file and I was in business.

Removing the old tie rod was a bit more challenging. I used the larger wrench size and took an old metal hose clamp, bent it in half, and forced it into the space created by the larger fit. After I got it snuggled in there nice and tight, I gave it a quick turn with the rachet and all was well.

The loaner tool program from Advanced Auto, combined with a little ingenuity, and I saved a couple hundred bucks in stealership fees by changing the inner tie rod myself.

Edited by zappbranigan

• 2 weeks later...