Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just lost reverse, 1st, 3rd & 5th Gear

2002 C4S 6 speed Coupe 43,000 miles

Just lost upper gears. Yesterday was my first DE event and the car was pushed a little harder but not much. Coming home had some trouble downshifting from 4th to 3rd but it eventually worked just fine. Today after a 10 mile easy drive lost r,1,3 and 5. I have about 4000 miles on new clutch and flywheel put in about a year ago. Fluids OK. Any ideas before towing nearby dealer?

Are you saying you can't get the gear shift into those gears, or, you slot it in, let out the clutch, but nothing happens, no forward movement?

Right. I cannot shift into those gears. Feels like jello with no locking in.

Sounds like a simple cable issue. Inspect the cable mounting points at the back of the transmission. You'll probably find that one of the cables has slipped out of its mounting bracket. Could be as simple as snapping the cable back into place and adjusting the tines that keep it secured. One of the cables may have also come free of the shifter base. Ether way it should be a cheap and easy fix.

Sounds like a simple cable issue. Inspect the cable mounting points at the back of the transmission. You'll probably find that one of the cables has slipped out of its mounting bracket. Could be as simple as snapping the cable back into place and adjusting the tines that keep it secured. One of the cables may have also come free of the shifter base. Ether way it should be a cheap and easy fix.

Thanks so much for the info and I hope it solves the issue. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks!

2002 C4S 6 speed Coupe 43,000 miles

Just lost upper gears. Yesterday was my first DE event and the car was pushed a little harder but not much. Coming home had some trouble downshifting from 4th to 3rd but it eventually worked just fine. Today after a 10 mile easy drive lost r,1,3 and 5. I have about 4000 miles on new clutch and flywheel put in about a year ago. Fluids OK. Any ideas before towing nearby dealer?

YES!!!!

Please let us know what you find. I had the EXACT thing happen yesterday on my 986 S. I can't access R, 1, 3, or 5 (feels like jello) but I can slot 2, 4 & 6. I'm taking it to a local shop this week. SERIOUSLY... I hope it's cheap...

Update. You were so right in your diagnosis. Snapped retaining clip for the cable. Dealer is charging $180 to fix. I was told that a new cable would cost $350 and take 2 1/2 hours labor. Thanks for the expert input.

• 1 month later...

2002 C4 Cab 45,000 miles

A good note: My super indie tells me this happened all the time on the racing circuit and he uses small gauge bailing wire to wrap around each of the ball joints. I drove 200 miles on rural highway with just my lowers....god, all those those stoplights were hard, especially with the new vettes and stangs challenging me!

When I got home we wrapped two of the joints.... and guess what I popped one of the other so hard I broke a spring clip off the cable!

All hail bailing wire![/size]

Zip ties are another common fix too. As long as the clips are always removed and installed correctly they should function perfectly. I think people just get frustrated when they remove the clips and end up braking them. :cursing:

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...

Want to thank everyone who posted about this i to lost reverse ,first an third and it was the cable slipped out of the bracket pushed it back in and used wire to keep it from slipping out again on my 2000 theres a hole for something dunno what in the casting maybe locating hole for the factory but it's in just the right place to run zip ties or wire anyway thx was in a panic at first lol p.s oops slipped off at the tranny i know there are issues with shifters to sry